Pensao Londres

Family Travel Historical Travel Budget Travel
travelfrosch's Profile Photo

Oasis In The Bairro Alto

by written on June 3, 2014

This place came highly recommended by fellow VTers, and it worked out well for us. Our flight was delayed by 12 hours, but the staff accommodated our late arrival, and even upgraded us to a 3 bed suite. Service was by and large friendly and helpful, the room was comfortable and clean, and the included breakfast was very good. Be aware there is some street noise, especially on Friday and Saturday nights, and while there is an elevator, you need to climb a flight of stairs to get to it. One minor warning: Consider hailing a cab on the street instead of having staff call one for you. When we took a taxi to Oriente train station, our cabbie took us for a ride, both literally and figuratively.

Unique Quality: - Clean, comfortable hotel in the Bairro Alto
- Wi-Fi in the lobby
- Some rooms with fine views
- Breakfast Included

Directions: Two blocks uphill from the top station of the Elevador Da Gloria.

EllyD_Pt's Profile Photo

Good value and location

by written on October 25, 2011

Following good reviews by other VT members I took a chance and booked a room for myself and my elderly parents. The pensao is still undergoing renovations (they were working on the stairs when we were there) but is in reasonable condition. The staff were certainly friendly and helpful. For those of limited mobility the initial stairs to the lift can be a bit challenging and the lift is very small but do-able. The triple room was large and not too noisy once the shutters were closed (it is, after all, on a main road).

Unique Quality: The area is good for food and only a stone's throw from the Miradouro de São Pedro de Alcântara.

Directions: Bairro Alto, Lisbon, close to the Miradouro de São Pedro de Alcântara

SOLODANCER's Profile Photo

Up on a hill, a hotel with grandiose views

by written on July 27, 2009

Okay, I will let you in on a secret. I've kept this one with me for as long as I've been able to, for many many years that I've been going to Lisbon which I can safely say for a good twenty years now. I've decided that after the big VT Meet in Cascais (Portugal) in May 2009 when I gladly stirred a few VT members into staying at the hotel that now it's no longer fair nor viable to keep this place wrapped in continuing secrecy only I have been able to enjoy.

Pensao Londres in Lisbon is an incredible find as far as incredible places to stay are concerned. It's a Bed-and-Breakfast place that in its category literally is without comparison. Sure, I'm partial as this hotel has now become my mainstay in Lisbon since mid-80's and is literally now my second home when in Lisbon. But personal bias aside, I'd have no other motive in recommending this fine establishment if in fact it were not a most worthwhile of places: clean, safe, free breakfast, very helpful staff, huge comfortable beds, maid service and best of all - very economically-priced which I can easily say that to be of a bargain. And for the price of the room, you'd be hard-pressed to find anywhere in Lisbon a hotel situated in such fantastic location right at the top of Bairro Alto thus commanding superlative views of the city and towards the expanse of the Tagus River if not the castle, Castelo de Sao Jorge. But you must book in advance if you want these views, from the hotel's upper floors especially, since the hotel is equipped with several rooms of different categories in its four-storey mansion building.

The hotel is well-situated in Lisbon's very bohemian neighborhood of Bairro Alto, a district on one of the city's ancient hills running above the Baixa the lower town and its nerve-center the Avenida da Liberdade. Bairro Alto is where the happening is: great family-type restaurants, endless cafes, bars and fado and dance halls, there are boutiques, hole-in-the-wall type fruit and food markets, old churches, wine merchants, etc..plus one of the city's great miradouros (outlook or belvedere), the Miradouro de Sao Pedro de Alcantara just around the hotel itself where an unforgettable panorama of the eastern side of Lisbon can be had (see it in my Lisbon things-to-do page).

Pensao Londres is an old loggia-type building dating back to the turn of the century. Its massive doors, the marble steps, the wooden floors and its very charming tiny elevator (the smallest I've ever seen - accommodating only 4-5 persons at a time) which takes the visitor to the second floor reception and all the way up to its fourth floor rooms all attest to that. And even more so are the beautiful old blue and white azulejos which lined the hotel's entrance and vestibule, as well as hand-carved individual frescoes on the ceilings still in several of its rooms.

There is an internet service in the hotel, free breakfast and a tv in each room. Not all rooms come with an in-suite bathroom but those with shared-baths which are decidedly cheaper are assured with modern well-maintained toilet facilities. On the hotel's ground level is a wonderful and convenient cafe/bakery - the Cafe Pasteleria de Sao Roque - to cater to one's quest and craving for heavenly Portuguese bread and pastries.

Directions: Best approached from the Baixa, take the funicular Elevador da Gloria to Bairro Alto. Walk towards the miradouro and follow the road up, the hotel is on the first corner.

toonsarah's Profile Photo

Simple but special

by written on June 12, 2009

I have Gabriel aka SOLODANCER to thank for recommending this friendly pension in the Barrio Alto. I was lucky enough to be able to secure a room at less than a week’s notice, and although I could only get one with shared facilities, on my arrival a few days later I was able to change to an excellent en suite one with no fuss. As the first room would have cost me €30 with breakfast and this larger one (with a double and a single bed) cost only €40 you can see how reasonable this place is. OK it’s not a palace, but it has everything you need in a building with lots of character in a great location (a few minutes’ walk from the top of the Gloria funicular).

The manager (owner?) is very friendly and you feel welcomed from the moment you arrive. The included breakfast is simple but more than adequate: fruit juice, tea or coffee, a couple of rolls with cheese, a croissant and jam – though I would have preferred the coffee to have more of a kick. There is internet access in a small lobby, and a pile of paperbacks to select from if you’ve run out of reading material.

Access to the hotel’s second floor reception desk is by an antiquated lift but if you can’t manage stairs this isn’t the place for you as you need to climb several before you can enter the lift. Otherwise I can think of no significant drawbacks to this hotel, given the low prices – it really is great value for money.

[but it has one of the most irritating websites I’ve ever used, purely in design terms!]

Unique Quality: Although it meant putting up with some street noise (but that’s what ear plugs are for, right?) I loved my light airy room overlooking the street below. I had a choice of two balconies on which to stand to watch the activity on the street, and when I lifted my eyes I had wonderful views to the castle perched on top of the Alfama’s hill (photo 4). The street was lined with the soft mauve haze of the jacaranda trees that I love so much, and at night the illuminated castle gave the view a different dimension (photo 5).

Directions: By public transport, the easiest route is to take the Gloria funicular from Restauradores and turn right at the top of the street – the Pension is a couple of minutes’ walk on your left.

kidkilowatt's Profile Photo

Comfortable and clean

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on February 1, 2005

I would recommend a stay at the Pensao Londres to anyone planning on travelling to Lisbon. Not only is the hotel situated in a great part of city, with relatively easy access to public transportation, but the service is welcoming, warm and comforatable. Every morning, we were greeted with a pot of fresh coffee, a basket of Portuguese rolls and fresh pastries before heading out to enjoy the sights and sounds. Our room was immaculately clean and comfortable with two balconies. The hotel staff was friendly and helpful when we needed directions or advice. If you have a room overlooking the street, you will hear music from the fado clubs that dot the district, but it was not very distracting at all. This is a great bang for your buck.

Nearby Pensao Londres

Pensao Londres

• Pensao Londres Lisbon
  • Pensao Londres Hotel Lisbon

Address: Rua Dom Pedro V 53, Bairro Alto, Lisbon, Estremadura, 1250, Portugal

9 Photos of Pensao Londres

View Professional Photos

Lisbon Travel Forum

Need advice about Lisbon, Portugal? Visit the Travel Forum for Lisbon and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Lisbon hotel reviews

Taxi rip-offs
Tourist Traps
Belém sightseeing
Off The Beaten Path
Day trips: Sintra, Cascais, Estoril, Obidos...
Favorites
Eat, drink, and be merry
Cervejaria Portugália