Pestana Palace

Pestana Palace Hotel & National Monument
Booking.com Hotels.com Orbitz.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

• Luxurious Baroque style accommodation

Beautiful hotel which used to be a palace and still retains the interior decoration. The whole place is like something out of period movie. The dining room is exceptionally beautiful and the breakfasts are fantastic with such a wide choice. Service is very efficient and polite, you are treated very well. We stayed in probably what would be considered a standard room, and it was extremely comfortable, with a large bed and all the other mod-cons you would expect. House keeping were efficient and you came home to a fully refreshed room each evening. Room service was friendly and quick.

Unique Quality: There is a spa facility which is newly opened. Unfortunately we did not get a chance to try out any of the treatments, but we did use the pool, sauna and jacuzzi which were lovely.

The best thing about the whole hotel is the Valle Flor restaurant, which is one of the top restaurants in Lisbon. It was simply stunning and we savoured every minute of it. THe food was amazing and they served little appetizers in between courses. Wine list was good and i had the most fantastic port to round off the meal. It was worth every penny, and again the staff were brilliant, very attentive and polite. The dining room is beautfiful and all in all it makes for a wonderful occassion.

Directions: This hotel is slightly out of the town in between Lisbon central and Belem. You can catch a tram, either the 15 or 18 from the city centre and walk a little way. Taxi's are cheap and on our way back to the airport it was only 13 euros.

• Manara's Profile Photo

Even more luxury

This hotel was a luxurious palace, surrounded by a wonderful garden. The palace itself now hosts the reception, bar, restaurant and several sitting rooms, while the bedrooms are in the two modern wings, built around the garden.
    The only flaw is that if your room happens to be at the end of a wing it takes a long(ish) walk to get to the main building.

Unique Quality: I loved the garden and its swimming pool, but I was fascinated by the row of sitting rooms, each one in a different style, that really gave the impression of being a guest in a stately mansion of time past. By the way, this is the only htel where I have been to have its own chapel!

More about Pestana Palace

The best

by salinhopt about Pestana Palace

I only have been there with a friend to have a cup of cofee. :) It's too expensive for my small pocket! Nevertheless the hotel is fabulous. Located in Lisbon city but only a short drive from the Estoril Coast and its beaches, the hotel incorporates a nineteenth century palace, now fully restored to its former glory and classified as a National Monument.

18-Apr-2006 Pestana Palace our experience

by TripAdvisor Member topcathat

Our First Visit

My Wife and I who are in our early 30’s treated ourselves to a weekend away over the bank holiday. The hotel was recommended by a Portuguese friend who lives in the city.

Upon our arrival we immediately felt like stars rather than just regular tourists. Our car door was opened by the smartly dressed porter and our bags taken away from us to be delivered to our room. The reception was efficient and pleasant and after the formality of checking in was complete, a young woman took us for a tour of the hotel onto the way to our room. This was truly a wonderful touch as she had a friendly personality and a genuine love of the hotel which showed as she guided us trough the facilities giving snippets of historical information.

Our room was roomy, very stylishly decorated, with quality furniture, comfortable and exceptionally clean.

There is a sports centre and also a spa. We made use of the steam room, sauna, Jacuzzi, indoor and outdoor pools. Dressing gowns, fresh towels and slippers are readily available this whole area like the rest of the hotel is immaculately clean and manned by helpful and pleasant staff.

The bar has a pianist playing in the evenings who to my untrained ear sounded truly wonderful this together with the historic rooms really created a pleasurable experience.

The restaurant is more of the same attention to detail with brave menus and first class food. I have to make a point of how good the wine waiter was, after asking a few questions and us feeling a little brave she recommended a wine that was really really nice. Staying at this hotel and not eating dinner (and breakfast) at least once would be a mistake in my opinion.

We did spend a lot of time away from the hotel visiting the local attractions, driving in the mountains and visiting little villages on our way.

Attraction wise from our experience (we saw 0.01% of this area I think), Oceanario is fun and if you can visit the caves and house in Quinta da Regaleira in Sintra. The little coffee shops and restaurants near the bridge offer a good choice for lunch or dinner too but we mainly drank coffee here enjoying the view.

We found the Portuguese friendly and pleasant and all in all I think we will return one day soon.

Oh my goodness, what a happy find!

We didn't expect this sybaritic, Resort-like retreat to be such a GEM! Comfortably sized rooms with private patios in the new wing, overlooking magnificent gardens. Easy access through the gardens or by way of an enclosed passageway to the original Villa. Marvelous indoor and outdoor swimming pools, extensive spa and excercise facility. Wonderful bar, superb (and expensive) restaurant. Need transportation to the center of the City. Warm, friendly and helpful staff. The concierge found us a fabulous private guide to tour the City. Pestana Palace is POSH but not stuffy. We'd gladly stay longer than the two nights we had available. Their web site offered "reasonable" prices.

A Hotel truly fit for a King-or Queen

by TripAdvisor Member healthchick

We just returned from a three night stay in Lisbon, Portugal and can't say enough good things about the Pestana Palace Hotel. While the hotel was indeed formerly a Palace, it maintains its regal splendor today in every way!! The staff was wonderful, the rooms were spacious, the pool and grounds were breathtaking. It is a true gem perched up on a hill overlooking the water and the city. Lisbon is an exciting city-there is a lot of growth and construction-and very unique compared to other European cities. One word of caution about the hotel is that while there are indeed "water views", this is a not a beach hotel/resort. The water that you see is commercial ports and there are no beaches. Not a problem though as the pool and grounds provide the respite you need after a busy day of exploring this great city. Quite near the hotel (though best to take a taxi as you will likely never find it on your own) is Cafe Alcantara. It is a superb restaurant with a clubby and chic atmosphere. Food was unbelievable-better than any of NY or DC's finest places and the prices were great. Fun place to go with a group-the bar is impressive and trendy, but also lovely for a romantic dinner for two!

Portugal has a lot to offer including friendly people (we had people bending over backwards everywhere we went which was a welcome treat after snooty Parisians where we had just spent 10 days) and lots to do for families or couples.

Great place

by TripAdvisor Member BLJ

I've stayed at the Pestana twice this year - both times on business, and both times for ten days or so. I loved it so much that, on the second trip, I extended my stay and brought my partner out from London for a wonderfully relaxing weekend.

The gardens are remarkable, both pools are good - it's particularly useful to have the indoor pool if you want to swim regardless of the weather - and the exercise room is large and airy.

As for the interior, the main building has a series of stunning antiquey rooms to hang out in – dark panelling with beautiful stained glass in one; red japanese laquer in the another; and soft light through huge windows in the blue room. So there's always a quiet corner.

The staff are charming and helpful. Breakfast is great. In summer there's delicious food served in the pagoda by the outdoor pool. We never got round to having dinner in the main restaurant, but it looks grand (if perhaps a little formal?)

I've stayed in three rooms and all were pleasant. A suite in the main building was particularly splendid, but both modern wings are comfortable, quiet and nicely designed.

I'd put the Pestana on my world top-ten list, alongside One Devonshire (Glasgow), Babington House (Somerset), Ventana Inn (Big Sur), Hotel Costes (Paris), Portixol and La Residencia (both Mallorca).

Don't Stay anywhere eslse

I just returned from Lisbon after stating at the Pestana Place. WOW. This was by far the most memorable experience I have ever had at a hotel. The palace is absolutely beautiful, the garden is amazing, the staff was professional and everything was in order from the time we arrived to the time we departed. Make sure you dine in the Valle Flor restaurant and find Vitor. He and his staff will guide you thru the dining experience and create a memorable moment for you. This place is great!! If you read anything that says otherwise it is a lie!

Wonderful Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Tessica

We just returned from Portugal & stayed two nights at the Palace through the Pousada program. This gave us a very reasonable rate on a standard room in a hotel that is incredible.

I cannot say enough about the staff & the quality of service they provide. All staff are friendly and concerned with your comfort.

Food service is excellent and gourmet quality. I agree with the previous writer & advise dining at the hotel restaurant. The bar also has a light menu and entertainment. The buffet breakfast (included in price) is also very good.

The hotel is full of antiques and history. You feel you are in another era.

I would not consider staying at any other hotel on my next trip to Lisbon. I don't think anything can surpass the palace.

Good Choice

by TripAdvisor Member andyinmalta

First time in Lisbon,decided on the Pestana Palace.The trip from airport is very easy and the cabs are all so cheap.Excellent welcome from a very well trained staff.The meals at the main restaurant were quality and so was the service.
I would certainly use the hotel again.
The negatives were that the dressing gowns were so worn it was like wearing sandpaper and also they were on the small side.The restaurant and bar close to the pool area was not used properly,closing early.Also the tea served at breakfast was very poor(trying putting in some teabags).Otherwise all was ok,as it should be for 260 Euros per night

Portugal - Pestana PalacePortugal - Pestana Palace