Real Palacio Hotel

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 59% less than similarly rated 5 star hotels

• WardrobeMK's Profile Photo

5 Star Comfort in Lisbon

This was my 6th trip to Lisbon and I always stay in this area (Saldanha) simply because the center of town is too noisy, full of tourist trap restaurants (avoid the south end of Rua de São José at all costs!), people trying to sell you things on the street, pickpockets, beggars and general hassle.

The 5 star Real Palacio is situated in Saldanha, about 10 minute metro ride from center of Lisbon.

Saldanha is a nice quiet residential area with plenty of restaurants to choose from and great travel connections from/to the airport and into town. The Aero Bus stops about a five minute walk away (get off at"Picoas", off the bus turn right and take the first left, the hotel is at the end of the street on the left) Other hotels I've stayed in the area include Hotel Eduardo VII (3*), Hotel Real Parque (4*)and Turim LIsboa Hotel (Rua Filipe Folque),(4*)

The nearest metro station São Sebastião on the blue line (Linha Azul) is less than a five minutes walk from the hotel. São Sebastião is also the western end-of-the-line station for the red line (Linha Vermelha) which is handy for the Oriente station at the other end of the line for Parque das Nações (cable car, aquarium, Vasco da Gama shopping centre)

When returning on the metro follow the signs to the South (sul) exit, São Sebastião has two exits, north and south. From the south exit you can also enter the supermarket in the basement of the huge department store El Corte Inglés which on top the the metro station.

Unique Quality: To operate the lifts in the hotel you need to insert your your room keycard which is of course great for added security.

The rooms are spacious enough, very clean, beds and linens are nice, lovely pillows, the bathroom is nice with a big bath (I'm 5"7 (170 cm) I could lie down in it), great water pressure (shower) and HOT water, plenty of storage space, soundproofed walls, windows open, blackout curtains, 35 TV channels (the usual suspects: BBC, CNN, all local channels, German & Italian channels, music channels)

Free broadband internet in the rooms, not wifi but you can borrow a cable from the reception (there are free wifi hotspots elsewhere in the hotel)

The breakfast selection is fantastic: loads of different breads & rolls, cakes, pastries, meats, cheeses, fruit, yogurt, hot and cold drinks, bacon, sausages, scrambled eggs, fried mushrooms, fried courgettes. They refresh all of the selection constantly so it's all nice.

All in all this hotel offers the comforts you would expect from a 5*. A great location to base yourself is Lisbon with plenty of local amenities (bars, restaurants and shops) nearby.

Nearest supermarkets: Pingo Doce: out of the hotel door turn right, go down the hill, the shop is on your right about half way down the street. El Corte Ingles: follow the instructions to go to the São Sebastião metro station (see below), down the stairs towards the metro, carry on straight for the supermarket, turn right for the metro.

Directions: São Sebastião metro station from the hotel: out of the door turn left, follow the street round the church and then turn right. Take the second on the left (Rus Carlos Testa) and the stairs down to the metro are in front of you.

More about Real Palacio Hotel

Excellent,top notch hotel.

by TripAdvisor Member wings2fly

After a week long search for a comfortable,reasonably priced hotel in Lisboa,I decided on the Hotel Real Palacio. I was extrememly pleased with the comfortable lux/style. Marble,fine furniture,comfortable room,as well as friendly helpful staff that went beyond the usual when I couldn't get a connection online for my laptop. Dining was gracious,and excellent. The hotels location is not smack in the middle of busy everything,but I wanted that so it wasn't a disappointment to me. It's a quiet res/business neighborhood. It is within walking distance to much of what most people need,& a subway to most everything else. The subway is clean, efficient,and I felt safe riding them. An important note is,Portugal can get hot,and this hotel has a first rate ac system.

Lovely hotel, great location

by TripAdvisor Member Letstakeoff

Spent four nights at the Real Palacio and was delighted with the hotel. Location was convenient for the airport bus and only a short walk to the metro or bus stop. Arrived on a morning flight and though our non smoking room was not ready, we left our luggage and went out to lunch. On our return, our bags had already been brought up to our room where there was also a welcome fruit plate. Very helpful and friendly staff in the hotel and excellent recommendations for restaurants - even warned us about pick pockets on the tram! Good breakfast selection and effficient service.

Fabulous hotel!!

by TripAdvisor Member skynyrdfan

Have just returned from a 5 night stay at the Real Palacio, having been in Lisbon for our wedding anniversary.

You wil not be disappointed with this hotel, it's as good (if not better) than the reviews say. Located in a quiet part of the city the rooms are large, spacious and immaculately kept. Breakfast is perhaps the best I've come across, with a choice of cooked (bacon, egg, sausage, mushroom, tomato), continental - hams, cheese, rolls, etc - the list could go on, but you get the idea.

The staff are very polite and courteous, and the bar service is superb. Didn't try the restaurant but the menu looked reasonably priced.

If you're arriving by plane, don't risk getting ripped off by taking a taxi. Take the 91 Aerobus instead (costs €3 valid all day on Carris buses, trams and metro) and get off at the fifth stop - Picoas. Off the bus, turn to your right and take the first left along Rua Thomas Ribeiro - the hotel is about 5 minutes at the top. Metro stop Picoas on the Yellow line is at the bottom of the road, and the more useful San Sebastioa on the Blue line is about 5 minutes away, just down from El Corte Ingles. If you fancy indulging in spending a bit in El Corte (very nice store) then come out of the hotel, turn left and walk round by the church - El Corte is across the road.

If your stay is for a few days, buy yourself a 5-day ticket from the metro station at the bottom of the road (Picoas). Costs €13.70 and is valid all day on trams, buses and the metro. If you're buying more than one and using the automated machine, make sure you buy them separately. If you go to choose 2 of them, you'll end up with 10 days on one ticket (thanks to the friendly metro staff we avoided this pitfall!).

Oh - and avoid drinking in Restaurante Antonio on Rua Thomas Ribeiro - it's full of nothing but drunks. Even if the beer is dirt cheap, there are much better places around Rossio for a late night beer.

All in all, the Real Palacio is a wonderful place to stay whilst seeing a wonderful city.

Definite five star hotel at four star prices

by TripAdvisor Member katherinemurray

Very nice hotel with lots of pampering touches (like other reviewers we loved the chocolates and bath robes). Make time to unwind in the jacuzzi at the end of a hard day sightseeing or shopping and make the effort to have a night cap in the lounge area or outside courtyard (perfect on a balmy summer´s evening).

Metro is a 10 minute walk from the hotel and connects you to the major tourist attractions. Make sure you try the trams (route 28 is a good bet) to havea whistlestop tour of some of the suburbs you wouldn´t reach by simply walking around).

brilliant (but wheres the chocolates gone??)

by TripAdvisor Member gingermurphy

Loved it here - stayed 3 nights towards end of Aug. Rooms very big and quiet, with excellent air con. Loved the bathrobes and slippers but we had no chocs!! Defintiely recommend a drink in the bar - lovely chatty waiter and they give you a huge bowl of nuts for free with your drinks. Restaurant is also excellent and not badly priced considering. Very handy for metro - we found Picoas on yellow line (?) and San Sebastian (Blue) to be the closest although theres only about 5-10 minutes walk between stations.

Possibly the best hotel I've ever stayed in

I stayed here with my girlfriend for five nights in August. We got an excellent deal from Expedia (around £41 per night).

Originally we were going to stay in a youth hostel but I decided to upgrade and the cost was only £100 more for the whole time.

The room itself was clean and well presented (we had the room immediately above the entrance to the hotel on the second floor). The bathroom was excellent with bathrobes thrown in for good measure.

The communal areas of the hotel were all very well decorated, clean and well looked after.

Breakfast was included in the price with lots of variety on offer and was generally very good.

However, what really sets this hotel apart from most others (and certainly pretty much all others at this price) is the standard of service. The staff in the bar and the restaurant were fantastic, they were very attentive without ever being obtrusive or over bearing.

In the bar, as well as the complimentary big bowl of mixed nuts and raisins which come with every order we were also treated to complimentary melon wrapped in parma ham on our first evening (and plenty of it too) and then on our fourth and fifth nights to complimentary mini biscuits with creme cheese and caviar on top and little salmon in pastry bites which were all supurb.

The food in the resataurant was also fantastic, in fact it was so good we ate there three out of our five nights. In particular the steak and mushrooms which I had on the first night was sublime. In the restaurant we also got complimentary pre starter dishes (which included portugese sausage and melted cheese for one of these).

One of the other reviews has asked where the chocolates have gone, we didn't get any of these on our pillows either, I think they must be saving them all for the coffees in the restaurant which came not only with and after dinner mint but also will a little two tiered tray full of chocolates.

The value in the restaurant was also really good (around £10 for a main), it was like eating in an upmarket restaurant for the price of a chain restaurant.

All in all, what can I say, the hotel is excellent and represents fantastic value for money. If you are going to Lisbon, stay here.

Excellent hotel

by TripAdvisor Member gagey

Stayed here with friends for a long weekend in March - great hotel, beautifully appointed and staff very friendly and helpful. Rooms lovely and chocolates a nice touch at night!
About 10 minutes from city centre - very quiet location so no noise from traffic/pedestrians. Metro station 2 minute walk.
Courtyard bar very pretty and waiters very friendly - amazing sized raisins with nuts complimentary with drinks. We had a drink there before going out to eat both nights as well as on our return later in the evening and the staff were very accomodating despite being the last guests to go to bed.
Breakfast was good - excellent choice available and even after a late start on the Sunday.
All in all a great weekend - Lisbon is great place for a short city break. Just the right mix of sightseeing, bars and shops and we had the added bonus of great weather as well!
Great place, great company and lots of laughs - have recommended to numerous friends.

Loved this hotel

by TripAdvisor Member sileeee

Would definately recommend this hotel. Staff were really friendly and helpful. Breakfast was really good, hot and cold buffet. Bit of a walk to the centre 20/30 mins but very close to metro. Also close to restaurants and shopping centre. Rooms were big enough and clean.

Good value

by TripAdvisor Member MistyLaw2

Definitely five out of five when it comes to value for money.
However, it is a good quality four-star by my standards. No pool so no fifth star.
The hotel is modern, clean and the rooms are bigger than average. Staff were helpful and breakfast was great, with a good choice and was included in the room price of around £41 GBP.
It is a little far out from the centre of things, around a 20 min walk, but has several metro stops close by.
For what it is I couldn't fault it and would stay here again if in Lisbon for pleasure. If on business I'd opt for one of the closer to the centre hotels; as long as I wasn't picking up the tab.
Great value, enjoyd my stay.

Top Notch Indulgence

by TripAdvisor Member RFJ

Overall excellent hotel. Very professional staff - I suspect the hotel gets as many business travelers as vacationers. All staff spoke English fluently (and a lot better than my Portuguese).

A breakfast buffet was included in my rate and had the widest variety of food I've seen in a long time, with solid quality (this mattered, as I did not have great luck on the restaurant scene in Lisbon). The hotel is fairly new, so the bath fixtures are very modern (extra deep bathtub!). My room was very pleasant and clean except for the carpet.

Location is convenient - only about 4 blocks from Sao Sebastiao and Picoas metro stops. It's a bit north of downtown, so my taxi to the airport was fast and 10 Euros. Of note, El Corte Ingles department store is at Sao Sebastiao metro and has a full supermarket and fabulous (and cheap) bakery and other prepared food available if you're not happy with the restaurant scene. I only ate breakfast at the hotel, as the room service menu looked a bit expensive.

Objects from the Renaissance periodObjects from the Renaissance period

More of the restaurantMore of the restaurant

Lisbon - PortugalLisbon - Portugal

Urszula, Ali, MattUrszula, Ali, Matt

Can someone translate a little?

by Turska

Is here told how do we get to Optimus alive?If so,can someone tell,what would be our best choise coming from Bairro alto?http://www.optimusalive.com/#/info/como_chegar/
We just looked Rock in Rio from Lisbon last year(it came at Finnish tv) and it looks like you should know how to get to festival and out of there.When so much people leave at same time,it will be..terrible?No chance to take a taxi,I think..Maybe Optimus isn´t as big,but big enough.
I didn´t find any timetable there.It would be nice to know how early it starts,and how late it goes.For a Finn,it looked strange,that it was DARK!We aer used,that it´s dark only at winter!Of course we have been in wetern Europe,and seen the dark nights,but we forgot it when we thought of the festival.Came to mind,that it´s pick pockets paradise-dark and so much people..Must be careful!

Re: Can someone translate a little?

by solopes

Concert will be in Algés, not far from Belém but hard to walk, even for you. There's a lot of public transport solutions to/from Cais do Sodré (a little walk to/from Bairro Alto), though eventually full that day: train, tram 15, bus 15E and 201.

There's a page in English in:

Re: Can someone translate a little?

by Turska

Thanks!!I have tried to find English page for weeks! :)

Comments