Residencial Duas Nacoes

Travelocity Orbitz.com Booking.com

Satisfaction Terrible

Rated 32% lower than similarly priced 2.5 star hotels

• Beware

After we've researched hotels after hotels for our Lisbon stay we decided on the Duas Nacoes Residence Hotel because of their location, price and "okay" look from images on the Internet. When we got to the hotel after a long fight, they told us that when we made the reservation it was for their other hotel. I promptly double checked all my paper work and it all said Duas Nacoes and it had their address. Well, we practically had no choice but to got to their "other" hotel since they were all booked.

I believe this is a tactic they used to fill up their other hotel that has either had bad ratings and is in a less desirable area. You've travel so far and you're not familiar with the area, so what choice do you have?!?!

Stay away from them and their poor business tactics!

• tigerjapan's Profile Photo

Perfect Location

The Duas Nações Residence is located right in middle of Downtown Lisbon in a pedestrian area with excellent public transportation services. You couldn't ask for a more central location. The building itself is quite charming with its old-fashioned elevator etc. The Duas Nações Residence was a traditional Lisbon boarding-house that has now been restored. It's not luxury, but if you get a room with private bathroom, then you'll be happy.

We tried both types (private and shared bathroom) as we wanted to cut costs, we should have just stuck with the private room. The shared bathrooms aren't terrible, but the one near our room had no working light for the 5 days we were there and the toilet nearest to our room was always rank and finally got backed up and stunk. Nice. The bathroom and toilet on the other side of the floor were fine, so we just used those, but if you're there at a busy time this might not be possible. Shared bathrooms really depend on the people you share them with and I am always surprised how many people seem to have no bathroom etiquette, or seem to have never been toilet trained. You don't leave a shared toilet dirty or your bathwater in a shared bathroom's bathtub.

The private room was much better. We had extra pillows and blankets in the room with private bathroom as well.

One word of warning, the hotel is cold in winter. Maybe it was just the two rooms we had, but they got pretty cold. Ask for an extra blanket when you first arrive. Also, don't expect fast action of blown light bulbs. We told the front desk when we first notice and they said they'd have to wait till tomorrow to fix it. It was still not fixed when we left. Would have been fine if we'd had some candles. Don't mind a bath in the dark, but it's a bit hard to shave that way!

Also, breakfast is terrible. Cheap coffee machine and a basket of hard rolls. Bad bread, very, very, bad bread!

Unique Quality: Right on the main pedestrian street. Heaps of shops and restaurants nearby.

The substandard breakfast is also unique. I have never had bread that bad, and that's saying something as I live in Japan.

Costs:

Double with private bathroom will cost around 65 US per night.

Double with shared bathroom will cost around 45 US per night.

These were the prices when we stayed there at Christmas time in December 2006. Of course this is just a guess as we paid in yen, so would depend of price of euro etc.

Directions: It's on the corner of Rua da Vitória and Rua Augusta.

• deedeechi's Profile Photo

great hostel, good location

this residential is hotel-style, with large rooms that over look the main street of Baxia. you can look down onto cafes and tons of people walking about the mosaic-ed street. its a great place with friendly and helpful workers. the located is great too. right near good restaurants and great shopping.

Unique Quality: the rooms are fairly large and the front desk is really helpful...its about 25 euro for a double

Just ask for "Ze"

Ze is a guy who works at the front desk. Our first encounter with Ze was when we were checking in. My buddy Pav and I pushed open the glass door of the place ready to check in and relieve ourselves of our heavy backpack burdens. Ze's first words to us were to Pav who had left the door open. "The door was closed," Ze said in a level, dead serious voice.
    I liked him from the start! He reminded me of a New Yorker. While some might call his tone rude, I just took it as part of his personality. Ze was wearing an old 1970s style tan leather vest over a button down white shirt and a skinny tie that matched his skinny frame, topped off by a long skinny goatee.
    Ze was great throughout our stay in Lisbon, always helpful in shelling out advice. He knows everything about this town!!!

Unique Quality: On Saturday morning, I went down to have Ze help me find the telephone number for a rental car agency that I had booked a car from on the internet. We were having trouble finding it in the phone book and Ze had never heard of it. I told him that I thought the company's Lisbon office was in Baixa (where the hostel is) and he looked at me square in the eye and said, "In Baixa? No. If it is in Baixa, Ze would know." I couldn't stop laughing at his confidence and I told him, "Ze, this is your town, my friend."

He then told me that he "knows a guy" who owns a rental car company and within twenty five minutes we were filling out the paperwork and picking up a Fiat Punto at a good rate.

Thanks, Ze!!

Clean bathrooms

The shower room was about ten steps from our room to the left and the bathroom was about ten steps to the right, so don't worry about having to go to far when you've just got to go!! The bathroom was a bright room with small blue tiles on the floor and the shower was always hot and available.

The bathroom on the other hand, was a bit cramped. If you're tall or have long legs, don't try to use the toilet on the 2nd floor (the floor with the dining room), unless you're very flexible. :-)))

• acemj's Profile Photo

Thanks, airport information lady!

I guess I would describe this place as a hostel, although that word is nowhere in their official name. We arrived in Portugal without any reservations, so we immediately asked about a cheap, clean place to stay at the Lisbon airport information booth. The lady there called over to this place and told us how to get there.

We took a free (with Tap Air boarding pass) shuttle to Rossio and then walked a short distance down Rua Augusta to the hostel. The location is ideal in the heart of Baixa, a neighborhood in the center of Lisbon that is big on shops, but not big on nightclubs, so it's fairly quiet at night.

The interior of the hostel is decorated with azulejos in the public areas and the staff is constantly cleaning, fixing lightbulbs and working to make the guests more comfortable.

Unique Quality: The free breakfast is simple (bread, jam, cake, coffee and juice), but the public dining room is beautifully decorated with azulejos and is a great place to meet fellow travelers. are bathrooms at the ends of every hall, so finding one that is unoccupied is not a problem.

For 12.50 Euros per person, this place is a steal.

Directions: Just off of Rua Augusta in Baixa

More about Residencial Duas Nacoes

central

by windpaard about residencial duas nacoes

nice with a simple breakfast central corner from rua augusta,pedestrian street in centrum
low season 46 euro for a double room with private bathrom and a simple breakfast
high season costs the same room about 76 euros

Great location and price in Lisbon

by acemj about Residencial Duas Nacoes

For 12.50 Euros per person for a double, you can't go wrong here. It's right in the heart of Baixa, the commercial center of Lisbon. The noise wasn't a problem at all and the staff was very helpful in giving advice when we asked. The bathroom was down the hall, but you can request a room with a bathroom. See my Lisbon page for all the details.

Comments