Solar Palmeiras Lisbon

Avenida Marginal - Curva dos Pinheiros, Paco de Arcos, Lisbon, Estremadura, 2780-749, Portugal
Hotel Solar Palmeiras
Hotels.com Expedia.com Travelocity

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 23% less than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Solar Palmeiras Lisbon

Coastal Route (Lisbon to Cabo da Roca) II

by J_Antunes

From Jamor you can get to Caxias and pass by one of the many lighthouses of this coast. Caxias has the Royal Carriage a nice bar inside a train carriage, the Royal Farm of Caxias with its beautiful garden although a bit degradated, São Bruno Fortress dating from the XVII century and the beach.
There is a nice hotel between Caxias and Paço de Arcos by the sea called Hotel Solar Palmeiras in a XIX century manor house (http://www.solarpalmeiras.com/).
Next youll get to Giribita Fortress dating back to the XVII century. You are now entering in Paço de Arcos with its Ancient Cars Museum (http://cpaa.no.sapo.pt/, open Thuesday to Friday from 10h-13h and 14h-17h; cost 1,75€), some palace houses (such as Arcos Palace), churches (such as Cartuxa Convent) and a nice beach. In Paço de Arcos there are some nice restaurants such as Casa da Dízima (http://www.casadadizima.com/, an XVIII century house, a meal is around 30€), os Arcos also in an old house (meal around 35€) or Casa Gallega (with spanish food, price around 30€). There is also a huge jack in the middle of the small bay and many fisherman boats. From Paço de Arcos starts SATU (one way is 1€, return ticket costs 1,50€) the only monorrail in Portugal that has only 2 Kms and goes to the 10 acres Poets Park (called this way because it has statues to the main portuguese poets it had a lagoon where you could learn how to windsurf but not sure if it still exists) and Oeiras Park Shopping Centre (179 stores, a hypermarket, cinemas, etc...).
In Estrada Marginal, if you look to the entrance of the river Tejo you'll see the Bugio Fortress in the middle of the sea.
From Paço de Arcos you are at one step of entering the main town aroud, Oeiras. Oeiras is a dynamic town with 35.000 people and 162.000 habitants in the district. It has some nice churches, a palace (that is today a university and that has nice gardens), gardens, beaches, fortresses (closed to the public), a marina (with restaurants and bars, and close by another train carriage bar) and an open air sea swimming pool. In Oeiras you'll find the Catalazete Youth Hostel (http://juventude.gov.pt/Portal/Lazer/en/PousadasRegiao/praia/PCatalazete.htm), a nice state hostel by the sea.

Cristo Rei from BelemCristo Rei from Belem

Castelo de São JorgeCastelo de São Jorge

More of Av. 5 de OutobroMore of Av. 5 de Outobro

Pasteis de nataPasteis de nata

tickets for rede-expressos bus

by Savl1

I attempted to buy tickets from http://www.rede-expressos.pt, but after I wrote my credit card number I receive a message:
"
Ocorreu um erro ...
A execução do pagamento retornou a seguinte anomalia:
NAO AUTORIZADO
"
What must I do now? How can I buy tickets? Or how can I reserve them ? Can I reserve them by e-mail ?
Is it a good idea to try to pay again at web page ?

I read it is possible to make reservation by SMS. But to which number must I send it?

by marielexoteria

If I was you, I'd check with my bank that there's enough funds on the card in question (that's the first thing I thought of when I read the message).

Also, could it be that Rede Expressos is connected to the Verified by Visa service and your card isn't?

Good luck and hope one of the Portuguese members has better ideas.

by cubsur

The original poster asked the same questions in another forum.

They have been answered!

I took another card and the payment was successful. I have 2 questions now:
1) Must I have this (not mine) card in Portugal?
2) How can I get tickets now?

by marielexoteria

Cubsur: may I know the answers?
I'm just curious.

OP: if I was you, I'd take that card for the "just in case".

by Savl1

marielexoteria, now i know the answere:) I called to rede-expressos and they said:
1) card will not be need
2) the tickets I will get in bus station before departure

Perfect!
Enjoy Portugal =)

Travel Tips for Lisbon

Time

by dimilag

Portugal specifies time according to the 24-hour clock which can be quite confusing for those who are accustomed to 'am' & 'pm'. Portugal maintains Greenwich Mean Time (GMT/UTC) as summer time.

Clocks are put forward one hour on the last Sunday of March and back one hour on the last Sunday of October, according to the rules of the European Union.

Jeronimos Monastery

by santax

Lisbon's most impressive monument is the Jeronimos Monastery, built in the Portuguese Manueline style. Inside is the tomb of explorer Vasco da Gama and very impressive cloisters! This is Lisbon's must-see sight.

Azulejos & Patterned Paving Stones

by sue_stone

You may have gathered by now that I really liked Lisbon. It was the little things that did it for me. One thing I particularly loved was the beautiful tiles (azulejos) that covered many buildings, both inside and out.

Everywhere we walked there was a huge variety of tiles in various colours & patterns. Some had very modern looking designs, others more traditional. But all of them quite beautiful. I couldn't stop taking photos of them. There was also some great azulejos inside some of the restaurants & cafes we visited.

Another thing that I loved was the patterned paving stones that adorned some of the squares and footpaths. Take for example Rossio with its fabulous wave-like design. Also on the pavement along the Avenida da Liberdade there are some diamond shaped designs which I liked.

Lisbon in Spring

by GUYON

If you must reach your hotel walking, think to the narrow sidewalks of the city, to sloping streets and to the smatched soils. Lisbon is closed to the sea and the wind can be a bit cold even on Spring.
Choose clothes in layers in order to put them or to remove according to the temperature.
Do not forget good shoes to walk : the sidewalks are slippery and covered of holes. You can find everything in this field in the local malls and stores. Do not forget the flash : the churches indoor are dark. As every large town, Lisbon has some pickpockets. So, especially if you use the metro and the tram 28, be careful and bring your belt or special pocket.

Comments