Veneza Hotel Lisbon

More about Lisbon

Largo das Portas do SolLargo das Portas do Sol

Oceanário de LisboaOceanário de Lisboa

The surreal Moorish architectureThe surreal Moorish architecture

View from the castle.View from the castle.

Lisbon on Sunday

by sneida

Hi,

My dad and I will be in Lisbon on a Sunday in May.

Is anything open?

If not, what do you suggest?

Thanks!

by Redang

It depends on what you look for; attractions?, yes

by TheWanderingCamel

What do you mean by "anything"? Shops? Museums?
Take the tram (Route 15) to Belem, stop for pastels de nata at the famous Antiiga Confeitaria de Belem, visit the Monument to the Navigators, the beautiful Monastery of St Jerome and the Belem Tower.

Take tour of the city on the tram - No 28 is the most popular but Nos 12 and 25 were good too

Ride the elevadores and find your way to some of the miradouros for fabulous views over the city.

Check some of the Lisbon pages here on VT - you'll find heaps to do with your dad.

by Karlithus

Hello.

Most shops are closed at sundays.

Museums and famouse shops are open thou. If you're looking for shops just to shop some cloths etc then you will have a bad time at a sunday.

Altough, it's a nice day to walk around and visit some touristic spots.

Have a nice sunday at Lisbon.

by Roadquill

As mentioned, the shops are closed, but the Castle is well worth a visit.

Travel Tips for Lisbon

Going to the movies

by Mundus

If you are feeling going to the movies but don't speak Portuguese don't worry.

Movies in Portugal have subtitles. There are lots of great movies theaters in Lisboa, from the most modern ones (Colombo, El Corte Ingles) to the classics (Sao Jorge).

The prices are also very reasonable comparing to the rest of Europe.

Downtown by ferry

by b1bob

We took the ferry across the bay and caught the train in Barreiro. José had grown a beard since that last photo he sent me. José's mama cooked up something big for supper. She took one look at me (I was so thin back then that you'd miss me if I turned sideways) and made it her mission to fatten me up. (It must have had a delayed reaction.)

This was my first go of Portuguese. I taught myself the language from a dictionary and a grammar book. I didn't take the first formal class, but for 3 years before, Brazilian pen friends and José helped me along in written Portuguese. This was my first go of real-life Portuguese usage. I hoped I wouldn't make too big a fool of myself. Fortunately, Dulce speaks even better English than her brother and that got me over the rough spots. At 6 feet (1,83 m.), I was the tallest in the house. No, I didn't have to hunker down to pass under doorways, but when I went to lie down on the bed, my feet dangled like a participle in a flawed sentence. I slept all right until the very crack of dawn. Because this was the suburbs, José kept a chicken in the back yard. At that time, the chicken did what came naturally. I was about ready to make chicken and dumplings out of him.

The plan for Friday, 6 July was to go into Lisbon, get a picnic lunch (hard bread, chicken, and hard-boiled eggs), visit the museum, and walk around Lisbon, hopefully coming home in time for supper. We took the train to Barreiro, the ferry across the bay, and the metro through Lisbon.

Maritime Museum

by santax

There are a couple of museums of special interest inside the Jeronimos Monastery. One is the Maritime Museum, showing Portuguese caravels and other aspects of the discoveries, the other is the Archeological Museum, with prehistoric, Roman, and Moorish finds from throughout the country.

Festas dos Santos Popolares

by B_Caro

The second part of June, people in Lisbon are celebrating their Patron Saint, Saint Antonius. Celebrations are everywhere in Lisbon, especially in the inner town and the older quarters like Graça, Mouraria and Alfama.

Footy Mania

by mickeyboy07

No trip to Lisbon for Football fans is complete without seeing the two stadiums
of two of Europe's most famous teams:Benfica and Sporting Lisbon,great city rivals on a par with other cities such as Manchester and Milan.Unfortunately only viewed these great stadiums from the seat of the coach but both looked mighty impressive and very modern.

Benfica was formed in 1904 and the 'Estadio da Luz'means 'Stadium of Light'.
Sporting was formed in 1906 at the 'Estadio Jose Alvalade',both stadiums are used for a variety of other sports such as Athletics,Archery,Handball,Basketball and Rugby.

Comments