Dona Maria I Pousada Queluz

See Amenities
grandmaR's Profile Photo

Pictured in 1964

by written on September 11, 2009

I have not stayed here, but I took a picture of the Pousada when I was in Queluz in 1964.

Unique Quality: This is one of the over 40 hotels located throughout mainland Portugal in buildings which include historic castles, former monasteries, palaces. This one is in a former palace. Spain calls the equivalent accommodations Paradores.

Directions: In the square in front of the Queluz National Palace, also known as the Portuguese Versailles, in Lisbon Portugal.

rexvaughan's Profile Photo

Live like a royal guard

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on November 13, 2006

The Dona Maria I is a pousada which in Portugal is an historic or picturesque old building which has been made into a hotel, much like the "paradors" in Spain. This one formerly housed the Royal Guard of the Queluz Palace. It is a charming and comfortable old building which has been thoroughly modernized and offers large comfortable rooms. The staff here was particularly helpful. When we looked at the menu of the restaurant in the palace we decided it was more high end and expensive than we wanted. The desk clerk readily suggested a very nearby restaurant which was simple but good and not expensive. Also he helped with directions to the train to Lisbon as well as the best route to the airport when we left. It is located about 12 km from the center of Lisbon and there is excellent train service a short walk from the hotel.

The prices include a very nice and complete buffet breakfast served in a bright attractive room. The rates are not cheap but they do have "golden age" discounts for those over 60 and the discounted rates are quite reasonable for such a nice place. We paid 117 Euros per night for two, including breakfast.

Directions: Just off the Ao and IC19 on Rual Elias Garcia. It is well signed so hard to miss by car.

el_ruso's Profile Photo

Pousada in a church

by written on December 24, 2005

I haven't stayed here, nor do I see a strong enough reason to stay since this sight is essentially located inside Lisbon. However, I would imagine it will offer nice accomodations. This place is located across the street from the main entrance.

Directions: across from the palace

Nearby Dona Maria I Pousada Queluz

• Business Services
  • Suites
  • Bar / Lounge

Queluz Travel Forum

Need advice about Queluz, Portugal? Visit the Travel Forum for Queluz and ask our Answer Gurus.

Explore Deeper into Queluz
High Tea Room
Empire Room
General Info
Favorites
National Palace of Queluz (4)
Things to Do