Sintra Hotels

Our Members Say

• Martin_S. profile photo Martin_S.
  • Reviews: 2645

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Ibis Sintra: a TRUE VT tale at Ibis Sintra

In beautiful Lisboa (Lisbon), Portugal we met Carlos (jorgec25), Gloria (lusatraveller) and Antonio (a2lopes) the day before we met up with Gabriel (solotraveler).
Yes, we made them all wait till we were together before they got the story ^O^
THE STORY.
We arrived, several days after meeting Nat (ncfg) in Ponte de Lima, in Sintra and could not find a reasonably priced lodging in Sintra itself, so we drove outside the city and spotted the IBIS SINTRA hotel. Drove in and got a room for 3 nights. Being familiar with the chain, know that it is a good and reliable place. After getting our room we turned the air conditioner down to 5°C so it would cool off as it was at 26 when we entered. We then went out for dinner. When we returned the room was at 25, way, WAY too hot for sleeping. We called the front desk and they came up to the room and tried to get the temperatures down without success. Needless to say we did not sleep almost the entire night. Next morning they told us we should leave our things in our suitcases and they would give us a new room. When we returned early afternoon (we were tired from not having slept the night before) we got our new room, but they had NOT switched on the air conditioner, so it was at 26° again...we turned it down and went out for drinks. When we returned several hours later it was STILL at 26. The hotel called in the hotel engineer and then later the company who had installed the air conditioners, still they were not able to reduce the temperature. At that point I was tired, too hot (no pun intended) and getting mad and Zohara was as tired as I was...We decided that she should go see the manager of the hotel, better that way because as I said I was very tired, hot and upset, Zohara would be nicer than me. She went down to the lobby and after a few minutes I got a phone call in the room...Zohara called explaining that they would change our room AGAIN after they checked to make sure the temperature has gone down and were offering us, one night free of charge and free dinner and drinks till the room was cooler... Then Zohara said, "You should come down to meet the hotel manager". So I went down and as the elevator door opened I found in front of me Rosario (Paulo&Rosario) who I had met at the Cascais VT meet in 2009!!!!! Turns out that Zohara had spoken to the manager and telling her that because of all the help and trouble the hotel had been going to, to try and help us solve the heating/cooling problem that her husband (me) would write about the positive aspects of the hotel on the Virtual Tourist site. At that point the manager told her, "But I am a VTer also, who is your husband?". When Zohara said "Martin", she immediately said "OH, Martin, and your daughter is Tal who lost her luggage at Cascais in 2009!!!". That was when Zohara called me in the room... Later Rosario called her husband Paulo, who I had also met, asking him to come to the hotel, of course without telling him that I was there. Paulo also called Teresa (tere1), another VTer who was a close friend of theirs who helped Antonio organize the Cascais VT meet, giving us a chance to speak with her also. We also had our laptop computer so we called up Tal and then Hansi (waalewiener) and Lori (loripori) on Skype so they could see whom we had met. So we had a nice evening together at the expense of the hotel.
I do have a photo of Rosario and I behind the reception desk at IBIS hotel in Sintra...(I like the story).

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Luxury Travel
  • Written June 30, 2011

VTers Rosario & Martin, Sintra, Portugal

• cachaseiro profile photo cachaseiro
  • Reviews: 1936

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

quinta de sao fransisco: very nice farm stay

quinta de sao fransisco is a farm that has been rebuilt and now specialises in wedding parties and other celebrations, but they have a some rooms too that they rent out for tourists.
the place has a very homey atmosphere to it and the rooms are nice and the service even better.

the place has a very porugese feeling to it and the service is very good.

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Related to: Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Road Trip
  • Written June 8, 2007
Tip Photo

my room at quinta de sao fransisco

• ginguba profile photo ginguba
  • Reviews: 164

Convento São Saturnino: Hide out!

Today, while we were coming from a snack at the Moinha da Azoia (which i mention in my general tips) I noticed something new down the hill.
An old convent was restored into a hotel. I don't know it, but it seems beautifull. It's somewhere of the main road from Malveira to Sintra, a bit down the hill, and facing the sea. I found something over the internet about it, i'll put it here!

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Written March 4, 2006
Tip Photo

Both stolen from the website :P

• Skibbe profile photo Skibbe
  • Reviews: 599

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Pensao Residencial Oceano, Praia das Macas: Beach accomodation

I got a bit confused when making reservations for a place to stay in Sintra and ended up about 25-30 minutes outside the town. But it was worth it because this place was great. It had a good view of the ocean, a nice beach, and a really good restaurant. Also, the staff was helpful staff the prices were quite reasonable (though they do not take credit cards).

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average