She Pine Tree House

Rua Nossa Senhora da Piedade 25, Sintra, 2715-452, Portugal
She Pine Tree House
Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

More about Sintra

entrance to the reataurantentrance to the reataurant

misty castlemisty castle

Time to visit the Royal PalaceTime to visit the Royal Palace

Sweets from TurkeySweets from Turkey

many question regarding day trip from lisbon to Sintra

by 9tigers

1) do I need to buy train ticket ahead of time or should I just get it the night before and then buy the time when I want to leave from sintra ?
2) do I still leave from Estação do Rossio at the Rossio in Lisbon? I read some mix coments from some post back in 2005 that this station was closed? is it open now?
3) if we have 3 ppl going, should I buy individual tickets or get a 10 tickets for train so I can use it for other day trips?
4) I read there are 4 PARKS T. all parks and palaces (valid for 2 days) 14 euros | Family 35 euros, does it include Palácio Nacional de Sintra,Palácio da Pena,Castelo dos Mouros,Monserrate Palace,Quinta da Regaleira, Seteais Palace or NOT? is it worth it to get it?
5) the earliest openning seems to be 9:30 even during oct, so should I take the 8AM train from lisbon or 8:30?
6) should I go up to the hill to Palácio da Pena and castelo dos mouros first by taking bus 434 right after I get off the train station or do the old town first then go up?

7) Seteais Palace right now is a hotel, so the visit should be quick correct?
8) Moorish Fountain , is it walking distance in town center? or do I need to take bus and how much are the bus tickets?
9)Monserrate Palace somewhere there was an comment that the palace is not open?
10)Quinta da Regaleira is it worth to go inside it is 10 euro kind of expensive

I know it is a lot of questions at once, so ty in advance for helping me out

by Karlithus

Hello.

1) You can buy the tickets right before you leave on the ticket machines at the train station
2) Yes. Estação do Rossio is now open again and it will lead you to Sintra (last station of the line)

You will take near 50m from Rossio to Sintra.

Other questions I don't really know the answer, hope someone else can help you!

Have a good trip

by rafi.of.gali.gali

Hi,
I really can't help you with timetable / ticket details, but for organizing purposes, you should save a day for Sintra. It's really not to be missed.

These days Seteais is a 5 star hotel. Nice front garden (very quick visit).

Quinta da Regaleira is certainly NOT to be missed. (here you'll spend easily 2 and a half hours).

Cheers,
Rafi

by 9tigers

ty all so much

Travel Tips for Sintra

Pena Palace

by anatlc

The castle itself looks like something where I'd imagined a Snow White had lived :-D

I'd say its better to visit the Palace in the afternoon, cos we found ourselves in the middle of a "tourist jam". Was really very annoying waiting 10 mins before entering in each of the rooms in the Palace. The kitchen!
You have to see that!

NATIONAL PALACE - MAGPIE ROOM

by LoriPori

The MAGPIE ROOM or Sala das Pegas, named this as Magpies (Pegas) are painted on the ceiling. The birds have the words "por bem" (for honour) coming out of their beaks.
The sign for the Magpie Room reads:
"The only room to have retained its original name since the 15th century. Dexcribed by King Duarte as the Chamber of State, it was here that notables were received."

There is also a story behind the painted magpies. This relates to the story that King John I was caught in the act of kissing a lady-in-waiting by his Queen Philippa of Lancaster. To put a stop to all the gossip, he had the room decorated with as many magpies as were women at the court.

The Artist King

by NunoF

When you begin your tour through the rooms, the first thing you see is King Ferdinand's statue, who was known in Portugal as Dom Fernando II, the artist king. Like is cousin Albert, who married the English Queen Victoria, he loved art, nature and the new inventions. He was also a watercolour painter. In 1869, 16 years after the death of the Queen Maria II, Ferdinand married his mistress, the opera singer Countess Edla. His lifelong dream of building the Palace of Pena was completed in 1885, the year he died.

TURISMO

by LoriPori

Just up the hill from the National Palace, on Praca da Republica, is the TURISMO or Tourist Information Office. It was a spacious room in the building, with a large information desk, brochures neatly displayed, a great sitting area with a very comfy couch.
The woman at the desk was very friendly and very helpful with my questions.
Another nice thing about the Turismo, was that it had toilet facilities.

Paint or Tiles?

by Bwana_Brown

While sitting enjoying our lunch under the trees in the heart of Sintra, I glanced sideways and was immediately intrigued by this scene. The peeling paint was interesting in itself, with its shadows, but the blue tiled building behind was very hard to ignore!

The practise of using decorative building tiles dates back over 1000 years in Portugal - a carry-over from the hundreds of years of Moorish occupation. I found that I really enjoyed seeing buildings enhanced in this way as we travelled around the various parts of the country. This building was a bit unusual with its fully tiled walls instead of just some decorative sections.

From a purely practical point of view, if I was a home handyman, I think I would vote for those maintenance-free tiles over the paint!

Comments