POCINHO SANTO-APARTADO 2, SILVES 8300, Portugal nu

More about Portugal

Run for itRun for it

Pilgrimade in Fatima

by Kaire

We are going to visit Portugal Northern part in May and we just happen to be near Fatima in 12-13.May. Heading from Porto to Lisbon 11.- 14.May with rental car, with lots of stops in between: Sintra, Obidos etc.
So I have some questions is it likely to have serious traffic jams because of pilgrimage around Fatima?
Is it wiser to avoid this area, or is it in a contrary - worth visiting to see all these ceremonies (not for religious reasons)? Or maybe it is not even polite to go there just to see as a tourist?

by SoulFisher

Honestly do not know exactly, but I think that the jams will only happen in secondary roads leading to Fatima and in the place itself, not in the Oporto-Lisbon motorway. The secondary roads around might fill with walking pilgrims.

Personally I am not religious. I was in Fatima only once in my life because I had to do surveys to tourists there. I do not think that there is any problem in visiting the site without being a pilgrim or a believer.

by Kaire

Thank you, SoulFisher, for your answer. Probably we will just take some other route to avoid traffic jam`s. And because we do not have a lot of time, we will visit some other places. As I found from here virtualtourist travel guides there are a lot of interesting places to see in between Porto and Lisbon.

by bettefrankel11

dear Kaire, Hi, maybe you can help me. We are driving from Lisbon to Pinhao in september and are looking for the bast and most interesting routing You said you made some stops, sintra obidos, etc. were they worthwhile and could you do both of these on a one day drive. any info you could give me would be of great help.
thanks bette frankel frankelab11@yahoo.com