Quinta da Alcaidaria

Ourem, 2490, Portugal

More about Ourém

rooms to investigate and gatehouse lookout behindrooms to investigate and gatehouse lookout behind

looking over Ourem and my pousada roomlooking over Ourem and my pousada room

sunrise over my bed to fill the whole room!sunrise over my bed to fill the whole room!

Casa Alta Royal Lodge, Ourém ?

by wardell2073

Has anyone stayed at the Casa Alta Royal Lodge in Ourém near Fatima?
It's supposed to be really fabulous.
I plan to go there next April.
Any suggestions for excursions in the area?
Thanks.
Charles

Re: Casa Alta Royal Lodge, Ourém ?

by a2lopes

although I've never been lodged there I know the place and it's really gorgeous.
Around you have a plethora of places to visit
First of all that's the largest concentration of UNESCO heritage places in Portugal -Monasteries of Batalha, and Alcobaça, and Convent of Christ in Tomar. Then you have the towns of Leiria, and Nazaré (beach) and some beautiful caves close to Ourém. A bit further south the towns of Santarém (capital of gothic) and Óbidos (romantic village). East of Tomar you have the Castelo de Bode dam where you can swim, paddling, sail, etc
So I think you have to choose...
Enjoy

Travel Tips for Ourém

Pousada of opulence and stunning sunrise

by angiebabe

"First stay in one of Portugal's lovely pousadas"

Trying to jam in too much into a day again but having trouble dragging myself away from lovely Serra de Estrela and Linhares!! but trying to still get to Fatima for its big pilgrimage days I needed somewhere to stay and ended up in Ourem and just kept following the signs to the pousada - highly recommended in my guidebook!! - i guessed it might be the lit up castle that i could see easily high in the distance and yes it was.
Up the winding streets heading higher up the hill and on to cobbled stoned lanes that form a medieval walled village to the pousada.

And what a view as the sun came up!!!

"view over Ourem"

Time for a look around

"Ourem Castle"

Pre 15th century castle converted into a palace and then destroyed by Napoleon's mob and then since restored - very interesting architecture (for my new introduction to Portuguese castle architecture) - with panoramic views.

Comments