Casa de Casal de Loivos

Casal de Loivos, Pinhao, 5085-010, Portugal
Casa de Casal de Loivos
Priceline.com eDreams Booking.com

More about Pinhão

ALISTAIR ROBERTSON FLANKED BY A THIRSTY GANGALISTAIR ROBERTSON FLANKED BY A THIRSTY GANG

Quinta do SilvalQuinta do Silval

The Wine ListThe Wine List

Quinta do Castro & the Douro river belowQuinta do Castro & the Douro river below

pinhao to porto by river boat day trip

by bettefrankel11

Hi. Is it possible to travel on a day trip from pinhao to porto round trip. If not, is it more scenic to drive or to take a train. How long is the trip by boat?...by train? or by car. we are leaving the us sep 08 for portugal and would appreciate your immediate help. I have not been able to find this out. thanks bette frankel

by colares

Bette,
check this site: http://www.douroazul.pt/Daily-180.aspx. They do all the cruises on the Douro. We took a cruise with them in April this year from Pinhao by train to Pocinho (upstream) and back by boat to Pinhao. That is the "normal" way you do from Pinhao, as it brings you into the wine growing area. Its a day trip. Worked out good. We waited at the Pinhao station for teh tour operator /guide, who came with the train from Porto. The price included a first claas coach ride to Pocinho. There we were picked up by a bus to the ship. We got some Portwine to taste and a lunch, which was not really outstanding but Ok. It consisted of three courses and unlimited wine and water.
The boat trip back took around 4 hours, which we considered to be a little long - The weather was not good. You see many of the well known Portwine producers' quintas.
The trip can't be done by car, as no road alongside the river. I would recommend the trip as described. For photos, look at my Portugal page; things to do.

Boa viagem!

by cubsur

It is just possible to do the whole round trip by train in one day. I have done the ride between Regua and Porto. For the first 45 minutes out of Regua or so the line hugs the side of the river and the slower trains obligingly stop at wayside stations from where some nice photos can be taken. Unfortunately I did not have time to go further. As said above, there are no roads in much of the valley, at least not down by the river.

The trains are 'Regional' trains, no reservations, and not at all expensive. Most are of USA design! No on-board refreshments, so make sure you take your own as it is a long journey.

The current timetable

You can leave Pinhao at 751 or 1213am, arriving in Porto (Campanha) at 1045 or 230pm respectively. The last train back is at 515pm. One way fare is about 12 Euros. Campanha is 10 minutes by metro train from Porto's centre.

I hope that helps.

by bettefrankel11

thanks for your help. this site is wonderful we received three replies. I also contacted the concierge at the vintage house where we are booked and he said he would set it up for us. happy traveling,. bette

by bettefrankel11

Hi Colares. thanks so much for your prompt reply. I am checking into the site, and I think this is exactly what I was looking forward. This is much first time in a forum, and I think it is fantastic. I got three replies, but frankly, yours was the most helpful. Keep helping people out with the forum. Your info was great.
thanks, bette

Travel Tips for Pinhão

Douro River Drive is HERE

by Bwana_Brown

This map shows the location of our little drive along the Douro River, as we travelled eastward toward Pinhao for a short distance, just north of Lamego where we had spent two nights. After doubling back from the end of our Douro drive, we headed south through Lamego, bypassing Viseau and finally ending up on the coast just south of Aveiro at the small beach town of 'Praia de Mira' (see it's Page for details of that stay!)

The village

by micas_pt

Pinhão is a lovely village situated on a valley and surrounded by mountains covered in vineyards on the step slopes. The village is bathed by River Pinhão (actually it is named after the River) where it meets River Douro.

Major highlights of this village are the train station which is classified as Portugal’s most beautiful train station and also the metallic bridge built in the 19th century.

I loved our visit to Pinhão, although weather wasn’t on our side. Its people are friendly, the wine very good (Porto sweet wine) and the landscape is breathtaking, both the green mountains and the quiet River.

Location

by micas_pt

Pinhão is situated in the Vila Real District and in the Douro region – north of Portugal. Pinhão is situated about 30km of Vila Real and about 115km from Porto, Portugal’s second city, also called “capital of the north”. It is about 380km from Lisbon.

Vines planted on sloped hills !!!

by MarioPortugal

When I'm visiting the Douro Valley and the vineyards that produce grapes for the famous Port Wine, I always get amazed about the enormous difficulty that it had had been planting vines on those sloped hills !!!

Azulejos

by micas_pt

Azulejos are traditional Portuguese tiles - they are hand painted tiles and can be found in blue and white shades or coloured, depending on theme, epoch and place.

Pinhão has outstanding azulejo panels on the train station – 24 panels, depicting Douro’s traditions concerning the vineyards and the harvest. You shouldn't miss them.

Comments