Navarras

Expedia.com Booking.com Priceline.com

Satisfaction Poor

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

More about Amarante

the main part of the townthe main part of the town

Historic centreHistoric centre

A few km outside AmaranteA few km outside Amarante

Granite houseGranite house

Travel Tips for Amarante

Amarante

by micas_pt

During my first time in Amarante I found it such a nice town to visit, a pleasant “discovery”, the only thing I could complain about was the weather, the grayish sky which made everything look darker. But my overall appreciation of the town bathed by the River Tamega was so good that I returned 5 months later. The friend who was visiting with me (also in Amarante for the first) said she thought that it was probably the nicest town in Portugal.

My second visit there was so much “luckier” as the sun was always shinning. And it only made my stay there more enjoyable. It confirmed my “passion” for Amarante and I am sure I will return again and again. During the short period I was staying near the city (only 4 days) I visited Amarante more than once both during the day and at night.

Famous personalities

by micas_pt

Amarante is the birthplace of some notorious Portuguese, such as the poet Teixeira de Pascoaes and the writer Agustina Beça Luis. Also the famous cubist painter Amadeo de Souza Cardoso was born in Amarante.

In the green lawn situated in front of the Tourism Office building there is a statue of poet Teixeira de Pascoaes and the Museum is named after the painter Amadeo de Souza Cardoso.

Typical sweets

by micas_pt

In Amarante there are several typical sweets, all made with eggs and sugar. Their names vary – lérias, papos de freira, and much more – but basically they all consist, as I mentioned, of a base made with eggs and sugar. Some have some other ingredients, such as cinnamon, and are more or less cooked, but all are undoubtedly delicious!! You should give them a try.

A good place to taste them is at the first café by the Roman Bridge, before crossing to the Monastery.

Boat on the river

by micas_pt

A pleasant and refreshing way to discover the River and its banks and also to admire the city from the River is to rent a pedal boat. These boats are available near the Tourism Office and the Roman Bridge and may be rented for a period of time. Afterwards, all you need to do is to pedal along the River and enjoy it.

More preserved villages

by micas_pt

If you don’t turn right on the mentioned crossroad (previous tip) a little bit ahead there is another sign to another preserved village, but this time you must turn left.

This next village is situated on a green valley by a water stream. There is a little stone bridge over the water stream which you must cross to reach the village’s stone houses. I enjoyed visiting this village but my favourite was the one I described on the previous tip.

Near this village is a good restaurant (see my restaurant tips).

Comments