Rua Dr. Marques de Carvalho, 111, Porto, 4100-325, Portugal

Costs 25% less than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Porto

Thriller in the CryptsThriller in the Crypts

Estádio Do DragãoEstádio Do Dragão

Final year students from the Faculty of Letters.Final year students from the Faculty of Letters.

Douro valley at OportoDouro valley at Oporto

Men handcrafting wine barrels?

by KimPortugal

I've seen videos of men hand crafting the large barrels that hold port, and would love to see this when I visit next fall. Anyone know which of the lodges (in Porto) include that on their tour?

Re: Men handcrafting wine barrels?

by 64novpt

Porto, or better Gaia on the other side of the river, is the place where every brand of Porto Wine has it's cellars and you can visit them very easily.
"Tanoeiros" is the portuguese word for the men that do the barrels, I suppose that in Gaia there are still active places that do them, however I don't think that are included in the usual tours to the cellars. Probably at a cellar someone can tell where one exists. Just to give you some ideas of places that are dedicated to the Porto wine (Instituto dos Vinhos do Douro e do Porto; Solar do Porto)

Re: Men handcrafting wine barrels?

by Maurizioago

...Vilanova di Gaia?

Travel Tips for Porto

Climate

by Turska

We were little surpriced how cold the wind was.Even if I´m a Finn,I´m easily feeling cold,and I had not enough "warm"clothes.We were here when June turned to July,and at least at nights walking at riverbanks I was feeling cold with t-shirt.Someone told before,it´s allways hot at summer,so either it was not as hot as usually or I´m just tooshivery person.(I know I am,but even my husband was feeling little cold,and he hardly ever is).
Also another surprice was,that I thought (my mistake) that those shower-warnings I red weren´t for summer,but it rained allmost every day.Usually only for a while,so one could go to shop/museum or something,and when going out,it has stopped.I didn´t pack my umbrella with me,so I needed to buy one,when one day it rained heavily.After I bought it,last two days didn´t rain at all :D

Visit the Taylor Port Wine...

by divadsirrah

Visit the Taylor Port Wine Cellars. We toured the wine cellers, and then had dinner overlooking the Douro river. My opening postcard shot was taken from the balcony of the dinning area. There were live peacocks walking around on the balcony. I missed a good shot of them and settled for the postcard scene.

After dinner we had to go back through the cellers, to get out. Some of us got lost, we were trapped in a Port wine celler, for a good amount of time.

Outdoor cafes in Foz

by micas_pt

While taking a stroll along beautiful Foz go to some of the open door cafes that stay just between/beneath this pedestrian's walk and the beach. While enjoying your drink you can also enjoy the sea view and rest. I've seen some locals in those beaches, but actually i think they are restricted to bathing. In some of these cafes you can also eat fast-food meals. Some of them have poor service, but i think place is worth the "effort".

June 24th

by Emmjai

June 24th is the feast day of St John, the patrion saint of Porto. On the eve of 24th, all of the locals gather round the river to celebrate, with fireworks going off at midnight. For some reason I never go to the bottom of, they carry plastic hammers and hit each other on the heads with them. If anyone can tell the origin of this gesture, I would love to know!

Estádio Do Dragão

by ValbyDK

The Estádio do Dragão (Stadium of the Dragon) was built for Euro 2004 and replaced FC Porto's old home ground, the Estádio das Antas. Antas is the name of the neighbourhood where the stadium is located, about 5-6 kilometres from Porto’s city centre.

As mentioned, the stadium is the home ground for FC Porto, one of Portugal’s most famous clubs. They have won the Champions League, the European Cup, the UEFA Cup, and numerous national championships and Portuguese Cups. FC Porto plays with a dragon on their shirts, and I was told that the stadium's name is derived from the same dragon…

Estádio do Dragão has a total capacity of 50,399, but was only about half full when I visited the stadium for the Euro 2012 qualification game between Portugal and Denmark. There was a good atmosphere at the game, and Danish and Portuguese supporters were walking together to and from the stadium without any problems. This is the way it always should be! The result? Denmark lost 3-1 to a better Portuguese team…

Comments