Rua da Conceicao 80, Porto, Northern Portugal, 4050-214, Portugal
Orbitz.com Booking.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

More about Malaposta

Panoramic views from Restaurant and bar

by suvanki about Albergaria Miradouro

Originally we were booked into the 2* Malaposta, but due to renovation work, we were sent by taxi (paid for by the hotel) to this upgraded hotel.

After checking in, the receptionist took us to our room on the 10th floor, and swept back the curtains to reveal a panoramic view over the night lights of Porto! Wow!!! This was an impressive view.

We hadn't got our bearings, so couldn't work out where we were facing. Next morning we realised we were facing towards the river, and could see ships in the sea. This was through a sea mist view, which added to the atmosphere - some mornings the clouds were nearly upto our room level!

Our room was comfortable, with twin beds (cosy duvet, and bolster and pillow, which were very comfortable) TV, mini bar/ free safe, wardrobe space.

Separate Bathroom with 'interesting' tiles'!, Bath/overhead shower, WC, wash basin and bidet. Hairdryer (bit antiquated, but OK) The water pressure wasn't always good, but the view from the bathroom window made up for it.

The outside of the hotel resembles a 1960s tower block, and as you can see from the photos, it is covered in tiles.

However, its hidden 'secret attraction' is its rooftop restaurant- Besides having Panoramic views over Porto, the Restaurant is the most expensive place to dine in Porto, with a large menu of international dishes. (We had a peep at the menu, and decided it was way too expensive for our tight budget)! You wouldn't imagine this from its location and outside appearence Quirky charm - polite, helpful reception staff.

Apparently this hotel mainly caters to Portuguese and Spanish guests.

Panoramic views from the bar, restaurant etc.

The restaurant bar (there is another bar on the ground floor) has a selection of local paintings for sale.

In the downstairs lounge, there is a large tapestry depicting construction workers and the Lois Bridge, which I particularly liked.

Beware if you decide to take the stairs up or down - we decided to be energetic and walk the 3 flights to the restaurant, we ended up 'trapped ' in the stairwell, as the exit door had shut behind us, with no handle. This happened twice to me, and I had to exit once via the kitchens!

It's about a 20 minute downhill walk to the river from this hotel, but a not unpleasant walk.

Heading the other way from the hotel, there are a few cafes, but we also appeared to have walked into a red light area! Though it wasn't too uncomfortable- we didn't get any hassle. I had to laugh at Joys innocent remark of "Why were so many girls waiting for buses?"!!!

Aerobus

by suvanki

This bus service runs between the airport, centre of Porto, and the main hotels in the city. At the time of our visit, the metro service was still under construction

We were lucky enough to have landed early to enable us to catch this bus. Afraid the service stops at 20.00 hrs at the moment, so not timed for Ryanair flight landing - yet!

On boarding we gave the name of our hotel, the driver wrote this down, and we paid 4 Euros (This ticket is then valid for 24 hours for travel on STCP routes, tram routes , metro, the Guindais Funicular and the train services (CP/USGP) , that provide the connection between Valongo and Coimbroes)

A 3 day ticket costs 9 Euros.

Bus journey is free for TAP passengers on production of their boarding card.

We didn't realise that the ticket was valid for 24 hours, we'd thought that it was only valid upto 2400hrs. (I'll know better next time!)

A useful leaflet with the timetable and list of hotels is available on the bus. (also from The Mobility Shop and Tourist Info offices. Both located to the left of the City Hall at the top of Avenida Dos Aliados, on Rua Clube dos Fernianos).

We were dropped off outside the hotel we'd booked (Hotel Malaposta) However, due to refurbishment, we were located (by taxi) to another hotel (Hotel Miradouro)

On the day of our return, our hotel receptionist telephoned the aerobus service to book our pick up. Although our hotel wasn't on the list of hotels served, the bus collected us from outside the hotel.

You can also book online www.stcp.pt or phone 22 507 10 54

Fixed stops in the city centre are at Av.dos Aliados and Rotunda da Boavista.

Departures FROM Airport 07.30 , then every 30 minutes to 20.00hrs

Departures TO Airport From Av. Aliados 06.45 hrs then every 30 minutes to 19.15

UPDATE *****- Metro link between airport and city centre is now in operation

Spring and Port Wine!

"Porto"

Just caught a repeated episode of Anthony Bourdains A Cooks tour on TV this weekend, which featured Porto or Oporto - which reminded me of my visit to this fascinating city, and that I must get round to revisiting soon! Maybe after the Euromeet in May!!

'Years ago I'd planned a trip travelling by train from the North of Spains' coastline, down through Portugal, ending up in the Algarve. My plan didn't work out, but one of the places I'd planned to visit was Oporto.

Checking thro' the Ryanair website, I learned they were due to start flights from Liverpool to Porto. So when I found a flight for 1p each way for March 11-14th I was booked! I phoned a friend, who had said she'd be interested in visiting the area, so within a few days we had our flight and accommodation sorted.

My first view of Porto was from the plane as we descended over the city. I was surpised to see that the city was far larger than I'd imagined. I had a great view of the River Douro and the lights of Porto.

After a short journey by the Aerobus, we arrived at the Hotel Malaposta. However, due to renovation work, we were relocated to the Hotel Miradouro. Our room had a panoramic view over the lights of Porto!

Next morning we woke to find a mist covering the city below our 10th floor room, but as the sun broke through, we realised that we were able to see the Atlantic ocean, then follow the river upstream, gradually we could identify landmarks such as the wine lodges, the Cathedral, church towers and bridges.

OK, so we'd toured the sights from our window, time to get out, down to street level, enjoy the atmosphere of a Sunday in Porto, and explore!

Well, Porto proved to be an ideal city for a mini break -

"Porto - some facts"

Porto was known in Roman times as Portus Cale which means 'The sheltered port'

It is the 2nd largest city in Portugal. It is known as the Capital of Northern Portugal

1n 2001 it was named European Capital of Culture, a title it shared with Rotterdam.

The riverside bairro of Ribeira is a UNESCO World Heritage site.

It is found at the mouth of the River Douro - River of Gold.

The river is straddled by 6 bridges as it flows through the city, giving it the title "City of Bridges"

"Coimbra studies, Braga prays, Lisbon shows off and Porto works" is an oft quoted saying.

Porto stretches 11kms from the coast inland.

Festa de Sao Joao - St Johns Eve- the night of June 23-24 is the place to see celebratory crowds hitting each other over the head with plastic hammers!

Portos citizens are known as tripeiros - tripe eaters, due to their unselfish act of giving all their meat to Infante Dom Henriques expeditions to N.Africa, and keeping only the tripe for themselves.

Porto is famous for its Port wine trade, established in the suburb of Vila Nova de Gaia, which is reached by crossing Ponte Dom Luis 1

Portos 3 football teams are FC Porto, Boavista FC and SC Salgueiros.
FC Porto were once coached by the ever gorgeous Jose Mourinho!, winning the 2003 UEFA Cup!

Gothic cloisterGothic cloister

Postigo Da Ribeira.Postigo Da Ribeira.

Santo Ildefonso churchSanto Ildefonso church

Building with old advertisementBuilding with old advertisement

bus travel from oporto airport

by kevreb

can anyone advise on what bus to take from oporto airport to hotel in Oporto. We are staying In the Malaposta and have been told a number 56 bus takes us into the centre of Oporto. Where do we pick this up at the airport and does anyone know were the bus drops off in the centre. Its are first time to Oporto and Im hoping people who use this forum are famililar with the area and the buses. How much is it likely to cost as I wouldnt be happy having a large note when in fact its very cheap and just need lose change.

Many thanks.
KevNReb going on 5th sept 2006

RE: bus travel from oporto airport

by cgf

I heard it's opened the metro line to airport so no problem to go downtown easily and quick. I don't know if the aerobus is still on service, with bus the driver left you close to the hotel you needed to go.

RE: bus travel from oporto airport

by Avieira67

Hello!
Please, have a look at my page on Porto. Anyway, you can use the underground.
Best wishes,

ways to get from the airport to city centre

by littlemissh13

Hi i'm landing in porto on fri morning and i have just booked a hotel (malaposta) in the city centre, just looking at transfer options
How much is a taxi ( 4 people) also i know there is a metro outside the airport but which station would i have to depart - hotel is supposed to be close to city hall and 10 mins from the Oporto S.Bento Station ( on foot)but is that a train station or metro. ANy help would be greatly appriciated.

by HansDK

by Redang

From the airport, take the metro to Trindade (behind the Ciy Hall), then, either, walk to your hotel or take yellow line to Aliados or S Bento.

For more, you can visit my page on Porto: http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/8d30e/44f55/,
transportation: http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/8d30e/44f55/9/
Airport: http://www.ana.pt/portal/page/portal/ANA/AEROPORTO_PORTO
Metro: www.metrodoporto.pt (different languages)

by littlemissh13

thanks thats great , i googled a porto map and trindade station is only a few streets away from the hotel so thats brill xx

taxi prices

by GoddessDiana

As I said to friends, I've been very pleased with the airport transfer services of Low-Cost-Transfers.com (http://www.portoairporttransfer.com/index.php). A transfer for up to 4 people, from airport to Porto centre will be 30 euros. They provide private transfers, not shuttle so no one will disturb you. And also the driver is English speaking.
Hope my tip will be useful to everyone!

Travel Tips for Porto

Things to bring to Porto

by suvanki

Day sac for carrying camera guide book, water etc, Travel light, the streets in Porto can be quite steep, with uneven paving Flat comfortable shoes- Porto has some steep streets, and some of the pavements are uneven!
Come prepared for all weathers- wear layers, and bring a waterproof (just in case) Porto has plenty of pharmacies. Carry all essential medications.

Sunscreen- I forgot/didn't think it would be that hot in March, and suffered a burnt nose! Plenty to photograph! Come prepared!! Plenty of places to buy film/have films developed, buy batteries, memory cards etc. Binoculars for viewing Porto

Phrase book - try a few basic phrases, always appreciated!

Bubble wrap for transporting pottery/ bottles of port home safely.

Wine /Port Tasting in the Duoro Valley

by Roadquill

We enjoyed a day of wine tasting at three different port vineyards in the Douro Valley. Fernando, our drive, picked us up at our hotel at around 9 and we drove up into the Valley. Incredible views, terraced vineyards, some excellent tastings at knowledgable wineries. We tasted at a family run vineyard called Pacheca, then the corporate owned Castelinho and then after lunch at the well known Fonseca.

Comments