Vila Gale Marina Hotel

Booking.com Expedia.com Travelocity

More about Vila Gale Marina Hotel

Great location - Vila Gale Marina

by TripAdvisor Member Julieellenlewis

What a lovely hotel and fantastic location.

We were lucky to be put on the 9th floor (top floor) we thought we were going to get a huge room with all the luxuries, sadly not... The room was perfectly adequate but as we were on honeymoon (2nd one this year!) we thought we would have got a bigger and better room. we thought we’d read somewhere that there would wine and fruit for honeymooners but that never appeared. Great views of the Marina and sea though so no complaints.

My one and only complaint about this hotel is the pool, you have to get up at 8am to get a seat around the pool and many times we didn't see the person next to us all day and the loungers were just empty apart from those selfish peoples towels. The water temperature was also way too cold and considering the weather was between 35-40 degrees it wasn't warmed by the sun or hotel.

Breakfast in the hotel was delicious with plenty of variety, although if you go at 10am you will have to queue. Lunch by the pool was nice with a good variety and not too pricey.

We had lots of lovely meals by the Marina but it is true that if you go one street down you will get bigger meals for a better price.

We had a lovely Chinese by the Marina in Marina View (I think!) and a terrible Indian in Maharaja (in Free Map it say's it's the best ever... A relative must have written it, as it was awful).

If you can find the Pacifico bar (you'll find them on the free map) they have free internet access and the owner is really friendly and the cocktails are delicious.

A wonderful place

We had a wonderful week at the Vila Gale Marina in May. The breakfasts were especially enjoyable. The staff are lovely and helpful, the rooms clean and from the sixth floor the view was great!

We will definitely return in the future

Loved the Marina

Loved the marina and the views of the marina from the 7th floor of the Hotel Vila Gale Marina. Weather was super, Hotel was wondeful with excellent service from the very friendly staff.
Everything was close by with excellent restuarants around the Marina. Not cheap about the same as the UK for food but couldn't fault the food apart from a dodgy salad at Figa's bar on the marina.

Take the free shuttle bus from outside the Casino on a Monday and Friday to Algarve Shopping - lovely shops.

Great Hotel, Great Location would definately go back.

Great holiday but very expensive!!

Vila Gale Marina was a lovely hotel, very clean, and the staff were very friendly and polite.

Vilamoura itself, was nice, but very expensive!!

We had a balcony that overlooked the marina and in the distance you could see the beach.

The buffett breakfast was ok, but was disappointed with the english breakfast. But there was lots to choose from, inc:- fruit, crossiants, cereal, yoguhts, toast etc.

If you want a safe and fridge these can be hired, but the deposit is non-refudable

We spent most of are time by the pool sunbathing, but be prepared when you decide to take a dip in the pool because it is very, very cold.

I would highly recommend the Jeep Safari excursion and the hiring of a gpod, very good fun.

Not sure about the evening entertainment at the hotel as we spent most of our time down by the marina, but there was something on every nite.

There are lots of restaurants and bars on the marina, but if you want value for money go behind the marina, up the steps on the corner of Hagen-Daz icecream and you will find some nice restaurants - King Indian Palace was very good.

TIP:- All of the restaurants serve you a bread roll and butter or equivelent, whileyou await your meal, but be warned they charge you for this.

Beware the parking!

by TripAdvisor Member longtallali

I have no hesitation recomending the Villa Gale Marina Hotel.

This is a good place to stay and use as a base for exploring the Algarve.
The hotel is clean and the staff polite and helpful most of the time. There is always plenty of food on offer for the buffet breakfast

The nearby beach is very clean and safe especially at low tide. We found it best to buy a parasol for 8€ and find our own spot on the beach rather than pay more to hire a static one.

The rooms are not enormous but are very clean and comfortable and the air conditioning keeps them cool 24/7 but if you like your morning cuppa then take a kettle with you. Fridges and safety boxes are available to hire from reception. The small supermarket just round the corner provides a good selection of drinks, picnic food, teabags, milk etc etc.

This is not the best hotel to choose if you are looking for a pool holiday in the hotel grounds or evening entertainment.
The pool complex is small for the amount of guests the hotel accomodates but with the beach so close it really doesn't matter. The evening entertainment was poor.

Suggest hiring a car but don't park it around the hotel unless in a proper parking space. We had to pay 90€ to reclaim our hire car from the police after the hotel had had it towed away as they claimed it was obstructing the access for tour buses on the hotel drive. The hotel charge 4.50€ a day for parking in their underground car park but there is a large, free, public car park not far away.

There are plenty of resturants on the marina but go behind the marina a couple of streets and you will find better value. Most of them are well set up for children with highchairs and kids menues

The trip on the Vittal catamaran along the coast for a bbq in a remote cove is definitely not to be missed. A visit to the slide and splash waterpark was fun, especialy for older children, but don't forget the suncream. Bravo's in the square in Old Albuferia is excellent. Good value and excellent service.

Time after time

by TripAdvisor Member mellowjonny

All i can say is i love this hotel, I would travel there time after time.
I started reading the reviews on trip advisor for this hotel after my second trip and before my third which I returned from yesterday.
I think one of the plus points is this is one of the nearest resorts, transfer wise from Faro airport, it usually takes a maximum of half an hour!
Vilamoura is based around the marina and is very peaceful (unless you get a lot of noisy golfers let loose from the loved ones) and I personally find it very safe and welcoming. It's fairly flat so is ideal for families with small children and people who have mobility problems.
The reception is lovely, it's large, very light and with a huge reception desk with very welcoming staff. I had asked my tour operator on my latest trip, prior to departure about a room on a high floor, and I was amazed at the view I got. I was on the sixth floor, which has a fabulous view of the marina and out to the Atlantic Ocean. The room I was in was one of the few that does not have a pool view, but that didn't bother me, I could see all the way up the coast and all the way over the marina.
The best rooms are above the fifth floor on the side of the hotel above the restaurant (you then get the view of the ocean)!
The room was large, with a huge bathroom, and a balcony (I believe all rooms have a balcony) and I didn't have a problem with lighting, cleanliness and any smells!
To be fair, the beds are two singles pushed together, but this is usually the case and to be honest when you travel around Europe a lot you can find worse! At least the beds are together!
Good range of tv channels, and a radio is also incorporated into the tv which is good to listen to whilst you are getting ready!
The pool area is really clean, if you're up early enough in the morning you will see the buzz of people around that area cleaning and things. The water in the pool is usually freezing, but on my latest trip I was surprised at how warm the water actually was!! The pool does get busy but with so many beautiful beaches on the Algarve, why do you need to stay by the pool - you could do that at Pontins! Their are two beaches in the local area, Marina, a few hundred meters away and Falesia (on the other side of the marina) - both have toilet and beach bar facilities. Also their are sunloungers and a fixed parasol available at 12.30 euros a day, or 8 euros up until 2pm. I personally think they are well worth it!
And if you hire a car you can explore all of the lovely beaches in the area!
Breakfast at the hotel has lots to offer - cereal, pastries, bread, meat, cheese, fruit and then a hot breakfast. There are also low fat alternatives and plenty of drinks on offer - I believe there is champagne!! I don't think you can complain about the hours they are open for breakfast 6am-10.30am! Plenty of time, however it can get busy after 9am!
I'm not sure about evening meals, I've never stayed half board, and to be fair their is plenty to choose from in the resort of Vilamoura, Chinese, Indian, traditional Portuguese, Italians and all reasonably priced.
Entertainment is something else I'm not too sure about, I usually spend most evenings in the Irish Bar (off the marina) listening to the live music or people watching in one of the bars or ice cream parlours around the marina!
To be fair I think it's a great place to stay, I'd go back with my partner time after time, however I generally think it's better to go in September when their are fewer crowds, the weather is still warm and the restaurants are all still open. Do take a jacket for the evening, it can get really chilly!

Nothing to moan about!!!

by TripAdvisor Member mojodipper

We stayed in the hotel for two weeks beginning 10th July, and my partner and i had a great time. The hotel was lovly and clean the view from our room was great and we were on the 5th floor. The food at breakfast was lovly everything you could think off and the orange juice tasted like orange juice. The hotel had many people staying there with prams and weelchairs and no one had any problems. There are great shower facilities which is great for your last day. We did not have to wear swimming hats in the pool, and the gym door was often left open so you could use it for free. The hotel has the most marvoulous location, as it is close and in the middle of everything. The receptioin staff were really friendly, if you go to the aqua show book through reception as it is cheaper and includes transport, and if you have a late flight like us they are a room for your cases and in the indoorpool area they have lockers which reception let us use for free. The best meals we had were not on the marina but behind the king palace indian restruant is really good and so is the price. If you carry on walking past the indian and up through the path on the right you will come across patricas bar which is much cheaper then other places for a relaxing drink.

Fab Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Unny

Stayed here in June this year and have only good things to say. Food, room, cleanliness - all excellent. If you are looking for a good 4* Hotel that has a good location near the marina - this is the one I would recommend.

Not for families with babies

by TripAdvisor Member Minky007

Having researched a number of hotels in Vilamoura, we chose the Gale Marina (with the aid of Trip Advisor).

We were VERY disappointed!

Although the room we were given was large and clean, the room (and hotel) needs to be refurbished as it is starting to look old and tired. The pillows are dreadful - hard and lumpy!

None of the rooms have a fridge or kettle - which is a must with a baby. We were therefore unable to wash out our baby's bottles, or boil water from the room. Having complained to the manager and requesting a kettle (at the very least), we were told that this was not possible and if we wanted to clean out bottles and get boiled water, we would need to get it from the bar. I was very uncomfortable with this, as the staff went into the kitchen to wash the bottles and to get me the boiled water - who's to say their standards of cleanliness meet mine??
I think it's appauling that they can't provide kettles at the very least, to people with babies. After all, this is 'supposed' to be a 4 * hotel.

In addition, the hotel is not very buggy friendly. Access to the pool area did not have a ramp and was through a fire door - rather a struggle. The pool area was unsuitable for our daughter - I don't have a problem her crawling around on concrete (there was no grassy area), but it was filthy!! We therefore spent out days by the pool of the sister hotel, Ampalius which actually had a baby pool and was grassy.
Breakfast was okay, but the only fresh fruit served was melon. All the other fruit was tinned.

The reception area doubled up as the bar and each evening, we'd return to the hotel, having had a lovely meal, to a wall of smoke and very loud live music. I don't have a problem with the music - but the smoke was disgusting!

In summary, we will not return to this hotel. It is an average 3 *, not suitable for families with very young children and certainly not flexible to our needs.

Very Disapointed

After reading the reviews posted on Tripadvisor we were sure we had chosen the right hotel in Vilamoura - how wrong we were!!!
We had upgraded to a Junior Suite on 2nd floor which was shabby and bare and most importantly not clean (toenail clippings on floor to give an example). The bathroom was full of ants and the rooms were very noisy as opened out on to main road. We complained the following day and were moved to 7th floor which was better especially the view but still very noisy (bin men at 5am every day!). The food was mediocre and we did not find the staff helpful at all. We went down to the restaurant one night and the extremely rude head waiter made it clear he was most put out that we wanted "a la carte" as opposed to buffet and was rude. Every morning you had to search for a high chair and they had never been cleaned. Thank goodness for Dettol wipes, I went throught 2 packs!! The pool was freezing so our 2 year old was unable to go in, I only saw a handful of adults in there over the whole week I also thought having to pay for towels by the pool and sign them out and back in again was a farce.
The location was excellent but this is definitely not a 4* hotel.

Comments