Pestana Casino Park

Rua Imperatriz D. Amelia 55, Quinta da Vigia, Funchal, Madeira, 9004-513, Portugal
Pestana Casino Park Hotel
Hotels.com Orbitz.com Expedia.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

More about Pestana Casino Park

A good 5 stars

by TripAdvisor Member RoyTerry

Having stayed at the Pestana Casino Park 4 years ago my wife and I were keen to see what the newly updated hotel would be like.Well you can't change the location of the Hotel but you can change the character and that has ceratinly been achieved.The Hotel was feeling very tired when we last stayed especially the dull looking bedrooms....nothing could have prepared us for the changes we found as soon as we checked in.This Hotel has had some serious money spent on it by its owners and it shows.From the new indoor heated pool and spa to the out door luxury pool complete with dockside eatery for lunchtime snacks and drinks.The bedroom was great complete with a flat screen TV and dvd player.The hotel staff were really helpful and friendly which we did not find last time either.Once again the location to the town is spot on being only a 10 minute walk down hill...there is of course the 15 min walk back up the hill but its not that bad.Our Weather was not too good even for end of June being cloudy most of the time but it did not stop us enjoying the indoor pool or reading a book by the outside pool.I would recommend this 5 star and any negative reviews must be from very picky people.Enjoy...we did

Very comfortable hotel in convenient position

by TripAdvisor Member sheila34

We have just returned from a week at this hotel and agree with everything that prof'swife says.

We stayed on the first floor, half-way towards the road end of the hotel, which is set sideways to the sea. Room nos 1 to 22 on each floor are towards the sea and nos 23 to 81 towards the road. The restaurant and social areas are towards the sea end, also.

We enjoyed the excellent breakfasts, but get down early if you like your cooked food very hot. It tended to cool off later unless they had just replenished the covered dishes. For our evening meals we went to the Casa Velha and Donna Amelia small restaurants, in R Imp. D Amelia, both owned by the same family, very near the hotel.

We travelled with Titan Hitours and their two couriers, Lorinda and Josef, were excellent. I recommend the Catamaran cruise, although we didn't see any dolphins! In hot weather they have snorkelling equipment on board and the clear water of the bay where we turned around looked very promising.

Our week was unexpectedly wet, although it followed on from two weeks of very hot weather. Luckily we had packed lots of wet weather wear and warm clothes and used them all, but I could have done with some *waterproof* light walking shoes. Mine got saturated. Obviously you would need stronger footwear if you planned going on the levada walks, following the water courses in the hills.

But the weather wasn't the fault of the hotel and we would certainly stay here again. The warm indoor pool was lovely, ending with sitting in the indoor jacuzzi with a wide view towards the outdoor pool and seating area.

Excellent hotel.

by TripAdvisor Member CAR13

Stayed at the Casino Park for a week at the end of June/beginning of July 2007. Bedroom was large, light and airy with safe, TV, optional minibar and optional tea/coffee facilities. All rooms appeared to have balconies - we had garden view which was very pleasant. Staff were helpful, efficient and friendly. Breakfast was excellent - choice of hot or cold buffets. Lovely outdoor swimming pool with plenty of sunbeds and views out to sea (from an elevated position). Everywhere was clean. If you wanted meals at the hotel there was a choice of restaurants and dining areas. One of the best things about the hotel is the location - it's right between the old and new parts of Funchal. It's about a 20/30 minute walk to the cable car in one direction and the lido in the other. Booked through Thomas Cook and seemed good value for money.

Is it really 5 star?

by TripAdvisor Member DinaLondongirl

My boyfriend and I have just returned from a great week in Funchal. If you're used to travelling 5 star, you will be disappointed, as the hotel lacks in certain respects. On the plus side; the location is great, you can see that it has been newly refurbished, and the facilities cannot be questionned. The bedrooms are spacious and well provided, with a good shower with constant hot water. Most of the staff are very helpful, and those that spoke English spoke it well. The breakfasts were excellent with a wide variety of everything you could wish for and would suit even the fussiest eater.
On the downside; the hotel lacks charm, with a utilitarian, uninspiring modern design. The lighting along the corridoors was terrible- it is always dark at any time of the day or night- and the lobby areas look like an airport lounge with no "cosy corners" or functional grouping. They seem understaffed at breakfast- we had to queue on 2 days even though there were plenty of tables. Expect to pay 2euros for a parasol, 9 for an hours internet (although free if you have your own pc). ..........However, it is still good value for money if you consider it as a 4 star, and it didn't spoil our enjoyment.

Fabulous Five Stars

by TripAdvisor Member MrTerry

A local travel agent found us this brilliant hotel on Madeira as a last second booking with Atlantic Holidays.
Staff were all superb. The hotel itself is a true 5* with indoor and outdoor pools, jacuzzi, massages available and very roomy. Our room was originally on the second floor, next to a busy side street, and with the balcony window open a bit too noisy. I was moved after mentioning this to the rep Rita and we got a really great room on the 5th floor with double bath, TV speakers in the bathroom ceiling and a window so you could watch TV while in the bath...how opulent is that! IF you can, get a room with an odd number as they are on the side with the best views...ours was on the other side but high enough to get good Atlantic views and a bit of town.
Breakfast was a buffet feast of fruit, croissants, breads,sausages, eggs (f/s/boiled), etc...I wish I had counted all the items! Champagne (or Cava?) for breakfast was a new one on me.
Half board booked from home would have been worth it since the prices were not as cheap added on when in the hotel...99euro for three meals if I remember. They are flexible though and you can swap dinner for lunch to suit your itinerary.
The Casino Park is very central, next to the casino which has a car park you may have to use as the hotel doesn't have much although it is free. The other has to be paid for at about 5 euro per day but if you use the casino at all you get a free card on the way out. Hiring a car would have been cheaper from the rep on arrival but wasn't bad anyway at about £99 for 5 days.
REp arranges trips: tour of Funchal was worthwhile as was the dinner/folknight..very entertaining. Jeep safari half day didn't achieve what I expected: being shaken about just for the sake of it did nothing for me..check the exact itinerary.
I would go back to this hotel tomorrow...it is just superb.
Madeira is a place of great variety and its people are so pleasant, laid back and unspoiled. It is a great place for the more mature holiday-maker: gardens, sea-trips,caves,reasonable eating places(lots). Don't just eat at the marina but look around the hotel. Try Sengs Asian restaurant 22 Euro for a set meal for TWO can't be beaten and a free glass of Madeira to sweeten the bill further. This holiday was great and makes me long to go back to the same place to do the things I couldn't fit in in a week.
If you enjoy mountain walks bring your boots and plenty film or a big memory card. The views are awesome. Hope this helps you choose a good spot on Madeira.

very let down

by TripAdvisor Member GlosBuds

After visiting a 4* hotel owned by the same family in Algarve, we decided to choose this hotel
as a special treat for our anniversary, a decision we really did regret.

PROS:
The island itself is a beautiful place, with some lovely nearby restaurants, quick temperature
change and no natural beaches, but if you do your homework before hols,you will be prepared for that.
The hotel has a nice indoor pool and the beds and pillows are very comfortable.
The bar staff and maids are very friendly.

CONS:
If the hotel in the algarve was a 4* then I could only put this on par with a 3*,the little things like
cleanliness and small effects, were a downgrade in comparisson.
The reception staff,although very busy, were not friendly and welcoming in the same way.We felt very much like a nuisance statistic at times.
The hotel in general lacked the ambience of its sister hotel.
Not enough parking, and we were charged nearly 12 euros a night to park in the casino car park next door.
Had to queue for ten mintues on one occasion for a table for breakfast,
The hotel drinks were very expensive.
All in all it really marred our first wedding anniversary, and I wanted to go home midweek.
Not what I'd have expected from a 5*. We even filled in a questionnaire about our stay and sent a personal letter to the manager,
suprisingly we were not even credited with a reply, all in all that confirms the valid customers we obviously were not.

Nice and lovely pool

by TripAdvisor Member Leonor

I agree with last review and I think we had been there in the same time.
Hotel is lovely. We stay in a suite with yours 2 childrens and it was really nice. A big bath, very confortable beds, sofas and a table with 2 chairs, fridge and 2 balconies, nice see view and it was a upgrade because we book a junior suite!
Restaurants are very nice and good but very expensive. Food is great and breakfast too. Every nights are live music in bar. the hotel is very well locate and there are many restauranrs near and much more cheaper than hotel. Is near Funchal city, more and less 7 minutes walking and 20 minutes walking to Lido and Promenade. Taxi to Lido coast only 5 euros!
Indoor pool, Spa and pool are complety lovely!
The worst is the hotel servive, is not a 5 stars! is more a 4 stars! There are nice employers but I thinhk the staff is enought... when we arrive we are not very well receved, nobody give us the hotel activities and facilities, we has to wait for room, no problem but they coulf offer a cafe or drink in bar ....
The towels service ( pool ) are terrible and pool service too. There are not bar service in your pool chair and nobody take away during the day the dishes.
If I go to funchal again mayby I will stay in Casino Park again but I agrea when the others guests say that is nor a 5 stars service.
Leonor

Good hotel

by TripAdvisor Member YORKI

Overall I enjoyed my stay at this hotel, but there were a few irritations.

The good points:

The room was very nice, comfortable bed and new bedding. Large bathroom with seperate WC. Pleasant furniture.

The facilities and setting were excellant.

Staff were ok.

The irritations were:

The air con system didn't cool at night, only blew out air. So the room was very hot. This was reported but never fixed or an explanation provided.

There was a kettle in the room but you had to pay for the tea, coffee and milk. Not what I would expect from a 5* hotel.

Sun beds were free, but you had to pay EUR2 for an umbrella.

Corridor's were drab.

Refurb is great

by TripAdvisor Member Griffinathigham

Having stayed at Pastana Grand which is also a super hotel, I thought on this trip I,d try The Casino Park ( which I knew had recently been refurbished) just because of its location as its almost on the harbour and handy for a walk into town. At a guess this hotel was probably built in the 60s but wow, whilst the front of it looks a little dated, whoever designed the interier did a first class job, absolutely stunning, great rooms, in and outer pool areas, bars and restaurants, thought the hotel itself was fabulous, and would recommend without hesitation.
The only downside is that it is a big hotel, reception area requires extra staff. not enough sun beds( yes towels appear at first break of day ) and no attendant that I saw during the week, and everyone wanted breakfast ( not the best choice ) at 9.30, so you have to wait for a table most times.
All the staff are very helpful but appear overworked but dont let any of the downsides put you off, just be a little patient, you will eventually get what your after.

Lovely Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Annaliza

5* - Absolutely brilliant. We had to change our hotel a few days before travelling, we were booked in the Monumental Lido, but unfortunately they had major construction work being carried out.
On arrival at the hotel (12.30 p.m.) we went straight to reception and they let us go to our room straightaway. The room was superb overlooking the casino, side view of the pool and then in the distance the Atlantic Ocean.
There were plenty of free sunbeds every day, an umbrella cost 2 Euros, the pool was very clean and the staff at the dockside bar were always very helpful. It did get very busy at lunchtimes, but there is no hurry when you are on holiday. Lovely salad buffet at 8.50 Euros, the fish was always fresh, i.e. Red Snapper, Sea Bass, Salmon, Prawns, etc. - not too expensive. The desserts were 4.50 Euros but magnificent.
Champagne was offered on arrival to breakfast - which we came to expect every day. The breakfast was great, cooked breakfast, cearels, fresh fruit, ham, cheese, fruit juice, etc. Anything you could wish for. Tea and Coffee was supplied on request.
The indoor swimming pool looked very nice - but as the weather was so good we never used it.
There was a library on the 3rd floor, which had many diffierent reading books.
All the staff were very helpful.
We really enjoyed staying at this hotel and we would definately stay there again.

Comments