Travessa do Valente 7, Funchal, Madeira, 9000, Portugal

More about Terrace Mar Suite Hotel

FUNCHAL - MADEIRA

by GordonKeenan

"The Trek to Funchal!"

Madeira is a holiday place that seems to bring up visions of it only being for anyone over the age of 60!

At that ever youthful 40 age, we reckoned it was a safe bet to visit here knowing that we would not look too much out of place.

THE FLIGHT
When we get on the aircraft, I had the window seat (Good Start) then I watched the other passengers come on board… The age ranged from 50 - 90+ and I felt as though I had got onto the wrong plane, and maybe this was the “Club Saga 2003” flight. As everyone came on, they all appeared to stare at us “youngsters”, and I ended up hiding behind a “Peoples Friend” I found in the front seat and waited for take-off.

Everything felt so civilized and very matter of fact that when I was asked if I wanted a drink from the bar, I REFUSED!!!! Now I know why I take a couple of bottles of wine on a flight, it’s just so boring without it!! So, for 3 hours it was a case of trying to sleep (no chance) or go to the toilet (only once after the stares from all the oldies gave me the creeps, maybe it was that look that said “Prostate Problems”) so I decided to hold everything in until we reached the airport.

"Arrival to Madeira & Apartments"

ARRIVAL
We get off the aircraft, jumped onto the waiting bus on the air strip and then an oldie came across to me and said “You left a load of money all scattered on the plane son”. I stood there, stunned, was this a ploy to get me to leave the bus, and then they get more space and laugh at me as I ventured back up into the aircraft? Or was he just trying to be helpful?

Not losing face won the day of course, I smiled and said “Must have been some loose change” (I never have any loose change), but he then upped the stakes by saying “Well son there was loads of money all over the carpet where you sat”. I bit my tongue, smiled and wished the Grim Reaper would take this helpful soul away from me.

We picked up our luggage in a matter of minutes from the terminal, and wandered outside to find where our pickup was. The baggage was not put onto our bus, but was to be delivered by a guy in a van. The thing is, they guy was so small out suitcase was about the same size as him!

TERRACE MAR APARTMENTS
Initially we groaned when we first entered the apartment’s toilet. The inbuilt hair dryer was snapped in two, with nothing done to hide it’s damaged nature. But, after ignoring that, we soon found the apartment and everything else in it was clean, neat, tidy and pleasant. Considering that the wife brings a hair dryer along with her, the damaged one was not an issue.

The bed was made each day, plus the room was cleaned as well each day so we could not fault the service side of things.

Comments