Madeira Island Hotels

Our Members Say

• irinuca profile photo irinuca
  • Reviews: 65

Apartamento da Se: Apartament hotel

We had booked this hotel on internet because of the price and it was worthy.
We had a good room with 2 beds put together to make a duble, very good to sleep.We also had a small kitchen with all the necesary things that you need to make a meal.The bathroom was good, with a bath and clean towels every day.
Room was echiped with air co and a small frige, a water cooker and a safe.Tv was very small but who need a tv when you are on the most beautiful island in the ocean?!
Was a pc avaleble at the receaption free to use.
The service was great, the girls at the reception were always helpful and they spoke english.
On top of the hotel was a teras in full sun which was clean and avaleble to use, the view of Funchal from here was fantastic specialy in the evening when the lights where on.
A min for us was the fact that the hotel didnt had a signe of anything outside to let us known is there. took us 30 min to find it.
The plus was/is that is situated 3 min walk from the promenade and you are in the hearth of Funchal.

The top teras of the hotel offers fantastic views during the day but specialy in the nights.

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Related to: Hiking and Walking, Photography, National/State Park
  • Written August 28, 2011

Euro Moniz: Porto Moniz

I spent two nights in the Euro Moniz hotel. A pleasant stay with buffet breakfast. Not a lot of character but handily located just across the street from the natural rock pools where I enjoyed one afternoon swimming. Good sized clean room with sea view. I especially liked having the downstairs heated swimming pool and jacuzzi for just the two of us..nice!

• Related to: Photography, Road Trip, Hiking and Walking

The rock pools ~ Porto Moniz

Albergaria Catedral: Funchal Old Town

Pleasant 4* business/leisure hotel with a relaxed atmosphere and gentle touch of style. Really liked this hotel and should I return to Funchal this would be my number one choice. Excellently designed to make use of all the available space. I liked the top floor lounge very much and the spiral staircase is very interesting. Great location. The rooms at the front have a view of the cathedral. My room was very comfortable and quiet and dark and I liked not having to walk through reception to access my room. And I must say that all reception staff were very welcoming and friendly and professional too. A good find.

• Related to: Photography, Hiking and Walking, Architecture

Residencial Americana: I like hotels with Character

Lovely character building overlooking the town square in central Funchal old town. I enjoyed my 3 nights here. I had a corner room with big windows and a small balcony..loved the old shutters and was nice looking out onto the Cathedral, absorbing the atmosphere. Small basic room but it met my needs and a very reasonable price for such a prime location.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Photography, Hiking and Walking

Residencial Americana

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Estalagem Eira do Serrado: yeah, I love the mountains!

If you want a place with a fantastic mountain view (and sea view too) you may want to consider this hotel. Very good modern 4*hotel with all the amenities. At first I thought it was a little obtrusive to the natural environment (I tend to prefer the 'smaller' places) but then again someone has to cater for us travellers and from the village down below it's merely a dot on the landscape. It was quiet when I stayed just before Christmas but I expect it would be heaving with coaches and day-trippers in the high season. Worth it for a night or two simply for the views.. and I had a lovely evening meal here too. It's stands alone high up a winding road so don't expect a village or any other eating places. Very happy with my choice and would be happy to return.

• Related to: Road Trip, Photography, Archeology
Tip Photo

View from my room (and a size 9! hehe)

Quinta das Vinhas: Nice Quinta near Calheta

I travel on a budget but usually try to include at least one 'splurge' and staying for a few days at Quinta das Vinhas was a good choice. I stayed in one of the fourteen self catering cottages scattered around a pool and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. It's private (and romantic), very comfortable and spacious with some nice touches and well equipped. yeah, my kinda place! but take extra care on that driveway .. hmmm...

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Photography, Road Trip, Hiking and Walking

Quinta das Vinhas - Main House

Os Manos - Rural Lodging: Santana

I had a comfortable three night stay at Os Manos. A short drive from central Santana which proved a good base for exploring the area. Very good communal lounge area and friendly owners on hand always willing to offer all the advise/suggestions for walks etc you may need. And I thank Raul for the madeira wine.

• Related to: Hiking and Walking, Road Trip, Photography

House in Santana

Apartamentos da Se, Funchal: In the heart of the city center

As I had planned to stay in the centre of Funchal, I made this choice – the price/quality is o'k. Modest and clean. Really in the city centre. All kitchen equipment, bathtub. It's situated on a narrow old street, so don't expect a lovely view, but who needs it, if the hotel is a few minutes away from the main street and the quay? The sound insulation is not so good, so you hear all the guests around. But anyway, I was satisfied.

Excellent location, all amenities, good price.

• Related to: Backpacking, Photography, Budget Travel

Room

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Solar da Bica, Sao Vicente: Rural and ecological hotel

Stayed here for four days. Very clean, stylish and pleasant b&b. Ecological concept is kept in every point: from the vegetable garden to the furniture, orthopedical pillows and beds. Heated swimming pool, gyms, open terrasse. Breakfast and free tea/cofee in the living room. Internet, fire, bathtub.
But definitely not for a backpacker.
I was told by a travel agent that there was a bus stop in few meters, but they didn't tell me that the bus stopped at that stop only once a week…
As there was no grocery, bar or cafe in this sitio "Lameiras", you couldn't have lunch or dinner nearby.
The nearest place to eat and to catch public transport- Sao Vicente is one hour walking distance.
You can choose between an old road (a longer one, and with stones falling from rocks) and a highway. I preferred the old one - at least it was more pleasant.
There are 3 or 4 taxis in Sao Vicente - one way to the hotel 5-6 Euros.
The territory of the hotel is very small (in fact it consists of the terrace and a vegetable garden) , and it is surrounded by farms and vegetable gardens.
Although the hotel itself is very nice indeed, but I don't recommend it to anybody without a car.

Amazing veiw, comfort and ambience.

• Related to: Eco-Tourism, Hiking and Walking
Tip Photo

Room of the second floor

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Quinta da Fonte, Funchal: Cozy and beautiful stay

Family manor with breathtaking veiws from the window and garden, authentical atmosphere of the middle of 19th century.
Special place for special guests, NOT FOR FAMILIES WITH KIDS ( a lot of fragile genuine antiques around: Ancient china, any piece of furniture is a masterpiece of XIX cent., engravings, pictures).
The place for people who want to escape from the city life (although it is situated just few minutes ride by bus from the city centre).
If you enjoy waking up and listening to the sounds of water (a spring is nearby), birds singing, and admirng the beaituful panorama of the city, ocean and cruise ships - you'll like this place and appreciate the invisible landlords (unfortunately invisible: Dona Ligia, Senhor Estevinho and their daughter, lovely Regina - are very pleasant people), who keep the house in a wonderful condition.
Quiet rooms, terrace, garden, bathtub, breakfast.
Bus stop is 10 m away, there is a small bakery and grocery shops nearby, some bars and cafes.
Although I don't speak Portugese at all, and Dona Ligia and Senhor Antonio almost don't speak English, we did nto have any communication problems. Regina, who works in her laboratory in the garden (she she is an old books restorer) speaks English.

Unique Qualities: It's a nice place for backpackers – a bus stop with a lot of buses going up to the Monte and down to the centre
Address: Quinta da Fonte, Estrada dos Marmeleiros, 89 Freguesia de Imaculada Coração de Maria

It's nice place for backpackers - bus stop with a lot of buses going up to the Monte and down to the centre

• Related to: Singles, Women's Travel, Seniors
Tip Photo

The veiw from the bedroom

• Saagar profile photo Saagar
  • Reviews: 2174

Eden Mar - suite hotel****: Comfortable and quiet - off season

Stayed here with my aging mother in the month of March. it was still the slow season, too cold for summer guests, and the hotel was not "it" for spring flower fans. the hotel had suites and apartments which suited us fine. We did mostly self catering for breakfast, pacaged lunches for levada walks and excursions around the island and had late dinners in restaurants when we happened to get hungry.
So while understanding that the hotel was not fully in operation due to the time of the year, we felt the hotel was suitably well appointed and by good standard. there was a non-heated swimmingpool that seemed nice, with a great view of the ocean.
Amenities and communications were near at hand.
Located some distance from Funchal, so while walkable, it was best to take a taxi to get into town.

Not particularily unique, but exactly what we wanted at a fair price. This was an early-season charter deal where we picked the hotel from a list, matching our needs.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Seniors, Family Travel
  • Written January 22, 2010

• VladDrakul profile photo VladDrakul
  • Reviews: 1

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel Windsor, Funhcal: What a wonderful experience

This is one of the worst hotels I've ever stopped at. It's advertised as 4 star and most definitely is not. Centrally located in a noisy street that features some interesting street people. Even numbered rooms are noisy. The hotel does not have aircon. Bathroom hygiene is dubious, our bathroom was very smelly until we complained and they cleaned it properly. Bath towels are thin to the point of being threadbare. Room furniture is of poor quality. The door handle/lock is not robust. Breakfast is a disaster - poor in quality and limited in range - the rubber croissants are a delight. There are no hot food options. The roof top pool is more a cooling off pool than a swimming pool. The hotel does not accept credit cards.

Overall, somewhere that Ebenezer Scrooge would be proud of - cheap and nasty throughout.

The only positive is the central location, but that does not outway the negatives.

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Written December 13, 2009

• kiuks profile photo kiuks
  • Reviews: 19

Sightseeing to the Atlantic Ocean: Baia Azul Hotel****

It situated 2,5 km away from the central of Funchal, the capital of Madeira Island, but the Hotel has free bus service for get to there. The Hotel is very nice and convenience.

You have a great view to the Atlantic Ocean from every room. The Hotel has a pool area with free of charge sunbeds and parasol, also the Health Club.

• Related to: Family Travel, National/State Park, Hiking and Walking
  • Written December 20, 2008

• Marhar profile photo Marhar
  • Reviews: 1

Vila Gale Santa Cruz Hotel: Perfect for relaxing

It was only for 4 days, but I really enjoyed my stay in Vila Gale Santa Cruz. It feels like home away from home. All the impeccable details in design and decoration, the bright colors of the walls and the exquisite furniture make it a hotel to never forget. But I’m rambling… The room was a nice surprise. Just like the rest of the hotel decoration, it has an earthy color palette which contrasted with the black from the bed and the impeccable white sheets.

I loved the bathroom, big, lot’s of space and with a great bathtub. The light was present in all the room, but discreet. For entertainment, it has a LCD screen and DVD player. But the best part was the view! Our balcony was facing the ocean and we could catch a glimpse of the selvagens islands.

I had a lot of fun in those 4 days; I stayed most of the time in the hotel and in Santa Cruz. I only went one time to Funchal. It’s very big, noisy and I preferred to relax. So I explored well the Vila Gale Hotel. I went to the Spa, great experience. It has a very Zen atmosphere. I also tried the indoor pool, with the Jacuzzi, sauna. It’s nice but the sun was calling for me so I enjoyed the pleasures of swimming in the enormous pool, with a view to the ocean.

Service with a smile seems to be the motto for every person that works in the Vila Gale Hotel. Everyone was very helpful. The meals I took in the hotel were fine but not great. Except for the gourmet Pasta Lounge. But in the buffet the food was many times cold and there wasn’t much variety. Even at breakfast. I was expecting some typical food from Madeira. To eat Madeira traditional food I had to leave the hotel and took a walk to a nearby restaurant.

The location makes it special. Also the pool, Spa, Bar and the great view from the room.

• Related to: Spa and Resort, Family Travel, Golf
  • Written June 6, 2008

This is a temptation

• Lolala profile photo Lolala
  • Reviews: 3

Paraiso Lido, Funchal: budget hotel

I stayed 2 weeks in this hotel with my boyfriend.
The location is very good, rooms are clean and nice. But the shower is useless. If you have long hair,it`s impossible to wash there. Staff is not very friendly.

• Related to: Backpacking, Budget Travel