Monte Mar Palace

Sitio do Montado, Ponta Delgada, 9240-104, Portugal

More about Ponta Delgada

Forte de Sao Bras.Forte de Sao Bras.

Galeria Arco 8Galeria Arco 8

Portas da CidadePortas da Cidade

Baía dos AnjosBaía dos Anjos

Shopping in Ponta Delgada?

by lisaincanada

Just curious, we are going to the island at the end of July (yay!) and was wondering if there are any malls/large grocery stores? my sister/family is coming along and she is concerned about finding milk,baby food,diapers for the babies.
TIA :)

Re: Shopping in Ponta Delgada?

by mcb

you'll find big supermarkets, i thing they have "Modelo" there.
It is a litle up city but there are buses to there what i remenber is that it isn't so far away from centre.
You'll find smaller and more expensite stores in centre.
It s a great city

by mcb

and there are also the gas stations that usually have 24h stores but so much expensive then average.

by lisaincanada

Thanks, we were in Ponta Delgada for our honeymoon 3 years ago but only for 2 day's(we then moved on to mainland Portugal) we only did half the island(furnas etc) I am sure we will find a shopping centre on the other half :)

by mcb

the shopping i was talking about is in Ponta Delgada City... the main of Sº Miguel island.
The others towns i'm not sure if they have large supermarkets.

by lisaincanada

Thanks :) we are staying in Ponta Delgada this time around :) I'm sure we will find what we are looking for, it's just my sister doesn't want to bring a long a weeks worth of diapers for twins, she would rather just buy them there.

Re: Shopping in Ponta Delgada?

by Avieira67

Hello!
Just go to the shopping centre Parque Atlantico, near the hospital.
Enjoy Saint Michael Island.

by lisaincanada

Thanks so much! we are leaving today..can't wait!! :)

Travel Tips for Ponta Delgada

Wine tasting

by Zirpsis

You can go taste some wines and brandy at the "Mister Wine" wine shop. Local specialities pineapple brandy and passion fruit brandy (maracuja) are very good. Friendly service: Mr. Wine packs the bottles for you to take home safely. There's also fine local teas, cheese and fruit jam.

Whale watching

by Zirpsis

They used to go hunting whales with harpoons from these islands but now that old tradition has changed to hunting with cameras and binoculars. There are at least two towns where you can get on a boat to go whale watching: Ponta Delgada and Vila Franca do Campo. Some people saw a herd of seven whales while other people told us they didn't see any. So there's no guarantee that you'll actually see whales.

Prices per person are €47 from March to October and €40 from November to February. Swimming with dolphins is €63.
Departures at 8:45 and 12:45
You can book at your hotel or go to the marina.

Ponta Delgada

by TMPDAN

I visited Ponta Delgada in 77, 89 and on 2 other occasions as a child. I was amazed to see how stunning the town looked. I especially enjoyed the cobblestone sidewalks with their intricate patterns and designs. The vacations were my first trips away from Toronto Canada. I enjoyed visiting my parent’s ancestral home. The Azoreans were extremely friendly and helpful.

Ponta Delgada is the largest city and the capital of the Azores with a population of 60,000. It's a remarkably beautiful city with many older houses and shops along narrow streets. If you enjoy architecture, churches and old world charm you will not be disappointed. There are many hotels and restaurants to accommodate and feed you. Many restaurants are closed on weekends. As a result restaurants that remain open may be crowded. On weekends I suggest eating before 8PM. Due to Ponta Delgada’s narrow streets parking is a problem. Overall I enjoyed my visits to the Azores and will be planning to return in the future.

Comments