Virpazar Hotels

• Catsunstein profile photo Catsunstein
  • Reviews: 3

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Villa Miela: Good quality accommodation close to Virpazar

Highly recommended. My wife and I had a terrific holiday here with friends in September. We were impressed as the accommodation was newly renovated to a high standard with lots of character - exposed stone, spiral stairs and even an original vaulted archway in the kitchen! All the bedrooms (4) had en-suite bathrooms and the kitchen was well-stocked for self-catering (useful as the local restaurants, while OK, had identical and quite limited menus).

The views from the terrace and bedrooms are absolutely gorgeous. We also loved the fact you could pick ripe fruit from the gardens - figs, at the time of our visit!

The owners can also arrange excursions (we did several) and even provide kayaks and bicycles.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Family Travel, National/State Park, Photography
  • Written October 24, 2010
Tip Photo

• ELear profile photo ELear
  • Reviews: 127

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel Pelikan: There are better alternatives

A rip off. 58 Euros for a double room without enough space for a chair (let alone a table), no a/c, naked electric wires hanging out of the wall above the bed where the light should have been, a tiny, smelly, damp lavatory cum shower, and a not particularly good breakfast. The hats hanging off the dining room ceiling and black and white photos of ancient actors are, I suppose, meant to give the place character, a rustic, "traditional" air, but they don’t work – like those dismal copper pans, fishing nets, etc you find dangling from the ceiling in a theme pub. (The website talks a lot about “tradition”, but the place only started in the 60s. It also talks about a warm welcome, but when I turned up I found they hadn't registered my booking and weren't expecting me.)

Sells exactly the same postcards as in Cetinje but at twice the price. I don’t know about the food because I didn’t eat there.

If you want to go to Virpazar there are many other places where you can stay. There’s another, new hotel, for one, the Hotel Lovcen (by the lake, just over the stone bridge, with a decent bar, unlike the Pelikan, but don’t know about the rooms - see http://hotellovcen.montenegro.com/), or there are advertisements all over the village for private rooms to let. The information office (+ 382 30 31 16 33) in Virpazar should have some numbers, or you could book through a travel agency in Bar.

Having seen how over-priced the rooms at the Pelikan were I ate at one of the small restaurants in the square. I don’t remember the name. The fish there was OK and not very expensive.

VERY over-priced.