Royal

Satisfaction Terrible

Rated 27% lower than similarly priced 3 star hotels

• Airpunk's Profile Photo

Good location - Bad service

Surely not the best place I have stayed in, value for the price was OK but surely not good. The hotel is located in a 19th century building, but the interior is mostly from the 1970s. Deteriorated furniture and a broken toilet seat welcomed me into the room. The rest of the room was alight – small and old but OK. Breakfast was good (scrambled egg with choice of bread, cheese, jam etc.) and the waiter was very friendly.

Indeed, I have only met three unfriendly people in Belgrade, unfortunately they all seem to work at the reception of Hotel Royal. Every time I showed up, it took them a long time to notice that there was a customer and when they attended me, it was often interrupted by a phone call or private chat which they did gave more priority than me.

The big plus of this hotel is the location. Kalamegdan Fortress and the main pedestrian zone (Knez Mihajlova) are within a very short walk. Therefore, come here if you are looking for a low price and an excellent location. Don't come here if you are looking for comfort and service.

Unique Quality: Breakfast and location as well as details in the building and the neighbourhood, one of the cheapest non-hostel options in town. These are also the reasons why I gave it a three out of five (instead of only two).

Directions: Right in the middle of the old town, roughly between Kalamegdan and Studentski Park

• Serbia's amazing nightlife

I spent a week at the hotel Royal in Belgrade and what i found really great is the location which is right in the center of town plus the food was also great... What i found most exciting is the nightlife and women in Belgrade which is said to be number 1 in Europe :) especcially cause i went through this agency that my friend recommended you can check it out on www.party-belgrade.com and they organized from hotel to restaurants, taxi service, great fun at cocktail bars and clubs, booking at the clubs, serbian history and culture and food... It really left a good memory and I'm going back 100% :)))

Unique Quality: Cheap price, food is great and the location even better :)

Directions: 200m to the main street in the center of town called Knez Mihajlova

• MacedonianUK's Profile Photo

Affordable hotel in the hart of Old Belgrade

Hotel Royal is an stontrow from the all interesting things in the hart of old town Belgrade. Clean and cozy, and very affordable.
    The dubble rooms are around €55 a nite, singles around €46
    The Hotel offers B&B but also HB and FB...
    The Hotel is one of the oldest in Belgrade, build in 1885 and was named Royal which it stuck till present day...

Unique Quality: I personaly like this hotel as it is in and old residential street in the hart of Old Belgrade, but on walking distance to many things.
    Knez Mihajlova st is 5 min walk, Kalemegdan and Belgrade zoo, too.
    Also , you can walk to Palata Albania & Tarazije.
    Near buy is the National Museum of Serbia and National Teatre as many good restaurants...

• KEEP AWAY!!!!!

It is the worst hotel I have ever been.
    No more than 1 star!
    The building is very old, the oldest hotel in Belgrade!
    The room was small and the furniture very old and broken.
    The facilities are below basic.
    Dirty everywhere. (The carpet in the room seems to be unwashed for many years, bathroom seems to be one step before collapse)
    Breakfast is awful (for example you cannot have coffee and juice but only one of them!, if you order an extra small butter you pay for it!!)
    We paid via internet an ammoun of about 60 euro per day for a double room and behind the door it was posted the price of 3000din=about 32 euros!!
    The worst of all: My handbag with ALL MY MONEY AND DOCUMENTS WAS STOLEN IN THE HOTEL BY A EMPLOYEE OF THE HOTEL!!! (This is totally confirmed)
    The hotel manager was totally indifferent about the incident and didn’t want to help at all.
    The worst travel experience of my life (and believe me ... I travel a lot!)

• georeiser's Profile Photo

Hotel Royal, Belgrade

Hotel Royal is an old, venerable Hotel in the centre of Belgrade. It is located close to the walking streeet in the downtown, national museum, national theatre, the Knez Mihailova street and Kalemegdan.

The hotel is normally fully booked in July and August, so it's best to book your room in advance. Also try to avoid staying in the first floor. Some of the rooms there has mould smell from the bathroom. The price is about 50-60 USD a room (August 2008). Breakfast in the basement is incl. in the price. The staff is friendly and you get good help if you ask for something.

The hotel has tree stars, 120 rooms with bathroom and 200 beds. A small TV is located in all rooms. ATM and exchange office in the lobby.

The good reputation is somehow undeserved, because the hotel is not nice inside. It's more like a hostel with fagged rooms and dirty carpets.

• vojvotkinja's Profile Photo

Awesome location.. if you're there to party.

You can't beat the location and price of The Royal if you're in Belgrade for a night or 2 just to go crazy and have some fun. It's proximity to the city centre and especially "Trg Republika" and "Knez Mihajlova" make it a great home base for fun. However if you actually want to sleep and/or rest this hotel might not be for you.

I spent a Saturday night there. My room was at the front of the hotel, facing the street. My window was wide open because it was August and my room did not have A/C. I was awake ALL night listening to the people on the street below... coming, going, revving car engines, blasting music. People were also coming and going in the hallways... slamming doors, talking loudly, etc.

The rooms are tiny and everything is very old and run down looking. BUT, the room was clean and perfectly acceptable for the low price I was paying. The staff were polite. Everything about the hotel is acceptable. It's just that it's location doesn't make it the best place to get even one minute of sleep.

• easterntrekker's Profile Photo

A liittle dusty but a good location

This is a worn out hotel with frayed carpets . The beds were clean with starched linens but the room itself was very worn out ...we thought the toilet was going to fall over.. Breakfast is included and is terrible .They have a 24 hr bar in the lobby..smoking is allowed. The saving grace is it is well located , we could walk everywhere. 70E . ATM and monet changer in the lobby.

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo

Budget hotel in central location

My friend and I stayed at Hotel Royal for 2 nights during a visit to Belgrade in May 2007.

We booked our stay via www.hostelbookers.com and paid 37 GBP per night for a triple room with en-suite facilities. Fortunately, there were only two of us, as our “triple” room had only two beds.

Location

This popular 3* budget hotel is located on Kralja Petra (if attempting to find the hotel independently, beware that names appear only in Cyrillic script on the street signs). The hotel is about a 10 minute walk from the Kalemegdan fortress and less than 5 minutes walk from the busy pedestrianised street of Kneza Mihailova, with hundreds of cafes, bars and shops. Having arrived in the city on the bus from the airport, it took us about 30 minutes to walk from the bus stop at Slavija Square to the hotel. Had we got off the bus at Central Station, it would have taken us slightly less time to walk to the hotel.

Bedroom

My overriding memory of our room at Hotel Royal is that it was stiflingly hot. We had a room on a high floor, so we left our window fully open 24 hours a day, but there was no air circulating in the room. That was in May. I guess it is unbearably hot in the height of summer.

Our room had two single beds, satellite TV (with dozens of channels, including a variety of English language stations such as BBC, CNN, Discovery, Travel Channel, VH1…), a telephone, a large wardrobe and some rather dated looking wooden furniture (desk, chairs, bedside cabinets).

The reasonably sized en-suite bathroom was very clean and contained a bathtub, shower, toilet and washbasin. Fresh towels were provided by the hotel and there was always plenty of hot water.

Unique Quality: .

Hotel: General

Hotel Royal is a fairly large hotel with around 200 beds in 120 rooms. It provides a number of services for its guests, including:

- 24 hour reception desk;
    - 24 hour bar and snack bar (with Jelen Pivo beer available at just 70 Dinars (approx 0.60 GBP for a 500ml bottle);
    - 24 hour Internet café;
    - Restaurant (06:00 – 01:00);
    - Foreign Exchange office (09:00 – 20:00)
    - ATM machine in reception;
    - Tourist Agency (09:00 – 20:00).

We arrived quite early in the morning, and found that we had to wait for around 45 minutes until our room was ready for us to check in. The hotel was busy, so I have no complaints about this long wait.

Room service is available 24 hours a day, with food offered at very reasonable prices. We never ordered any, but I made a few notes on the in-room menu for the purposes of this tip. The selection of dishes included veal, beef goulash, pizza, spaghetti, grilled chicken, seafood dishes, cevapcici, baklava pastries and pancakes. Prices were as low as 200 Dinars (1.70 GBP) for beef goulash, 105 Dinars (0.90 GBP) for Spaghetti Milanese and 180 Dinars (1.50 GBP) for chicken wings.

A good value, if somewhat outdated, budget hotel in the centre of Belgrade. A convenient location and lots of services provided. Get a room with air-con if you can!

Directions: Located on Kralja Petra, just a few minutes walk from Students Square and the busy pedestrianised shopping street of Kneza Mihailova. The Kalemegdan fortress is about 10 minutes walk north west.

• lonnbehh's Profile Photo

Love this hotel - great location & good price

I have read some complaints about this hotel on these pages, but I have now stayed at Royal 3 times and I have been satisified! Especially because of the great location. There's the fortress less than 3 minutes from the hotel, as well as the shopping district and silicon valley. And the price is great! We paid about 40 euros/night. Breakfast incl. Now dont get me wrong, its not a fancy hotel, so you shouldnt expect anything special (some of the rooms have that lovely cigarette smell in it- even though its a non-smoking room). It's probably like a 2-star hotel. But the staff is SO friendly and helpful with everything.
    I really do recommend it!

Unique Quality: Phones in the shower :)

• antistar's Profile Photo

Hotel Royal

On my trip The Lonely Planet guide proved to be an occasional disaster. The highly recommended Hotel Royal was cheap, but there are certain things I won't put up with. Rooms so small I fall over when getting dressed are ok, so are noisy rooms next to the elevator with thin walls and no double glazing, so are rooms that have curtains too small to cover the window. What isn't ok, is all that AND cockroaches in my bathroom. That's disgusting.

To make matters worse, the one ant I had seen on my bedroom floor at 6pm, became dozens by the time I went to bed. I had blocked the roaches, and isolated the remainder in the shower floor, but now I had another problem. This was too much, and I went downstairs to demand another room. It was 1am, and the nightporter could do no more than sympathise, look at the cockroaches lounging on the shower floor, and promise a new and better room the next day.

I spent the night swatting ants as they tracked in under the balcony door, until 3am when I could take no more and fell into a fitful sleep filled with nightmares about insects. I awoke the next morning with such a black mood, matched by the black day outside, which had seen the sun disappear behind a bank of thick clouds for the first time in Europe in about a month. A perfect start to my stay in Belgrade.

The next day, however, I got a new room, and it was much better. It was a twin, so more room, and although it was still a bit grubby, the beds were clean, the shower worked, the curtains covered the window, and it wasn't all that noisy at all. It's exactly the quality level I'd expect for the price, especially with such a convenient location.

Unique Quality: Given that only my first night was ruined, and the rest of my stay was fine, and that the staff were very helpful and friendly, everyone else I spoke to was happy staying there, and the price was very good, I'd recommend this hotel. But make sure that if you spot anything amiss, report it immediately or you'll get stuck with the room. Also ask for a twin or a double, even if you are on your own, as they aren't much more expensive, and you'll welcome the extra room.

Directions: The hotel is conveniently located around the corner from Studentski Square, and in the shadow of the fortress. Walk up Vase Carapica from Republic Square, and take the next right after the park.

• phalangid's Profile Photo

Excellent budget/mid-end hotel

This is great affordable accomodation in Belgrade. Friendly reception, helpful, and clean rooms. Mine had a nice view (see pictures) and was spacious, as things go for Belgrade at this price. The location was great, just off Vasa Carapica as well as near Studentski Trg and lots of nightlife. Highly recommended

Directions: This is on a one-way street going north (downhill), not far from Kalmegdan Park.

• Fen's Profile Photo

Hotel Royal

The hotel has 120 rooms (apartments, single and double suites) with 200 beds, a restaurant, bar .

Unique Quality: The Hotel Royal is very central so it has easy access to the important cultural monuments of the city. Only a few minutes walking distance are the National museum, National Theatre, the Knez Mihailova street (shopping center of Belgrade), Kalemegdan.

• nikola316's Profile Photo

6.00 AM Waiting for my Taxi

Not bad at all.

One desk attendant that works here becomes progressively more friendly towards me every year.

The first year I stayed here... he was a bit of an ass. As of my latest excursion... he is very nice.

This was yet another sad morning of departure from my beloved Belgrade.

Unique Quality: Of course, I like everything!!

The last time I showed up for just one night (on my way to the Airport the next morning... very early), my favorite bar tender immediately "lit up" and was happy to see me.

I love this bar!!! None of the .33 litre bottles that are so popular at the other downtown bars.

Frankly, I spent very little time in the actual "bar" itself. I was on the computer upstairs... drinking the beer I had purchased downstairs!!!!

Directions: DOWNTOWN!!!

• Cheap central hotels

Hotel Royal is without a doubt one of the best budget hotels in the town. You can get more details here: http://www.hotels.co.yu/royal/

It is located in the immediate vicinity of Kalemegdan and Knez Mihailova Street , this is the central heart of BG and amazing.

The food is ok, reasonably priced and the service is ok. English is spoken by almost everyone and they are not to gruff!

Unique Quality: The fact that you walk out of the hotel and into the centre of town, minutes from the park, main bulevar and the main square, all this for about £10-15 per night, its a bargain!

Directions: Central district

• Cheap, yet comfortable hotel

I've stayed in Hotel Royal with my wife in June, 2005. The hotel is pretty old, some say it has rooms which are renovated, but what we had was a pretty Soviet-style double. Modest room with outfashioned furniture perhaps from Tito's times, but still comfortable. Cable television with lots of local and foreign TV channels, air conditioning, bathroom, telephone. Just what you have to expect to get for the price paid. 30 EUR (15 EUR per person) for the double room, breakfast included.

Recommended as a perfectly situated starting point for Belgrade sight-seeing.

A word of warning for the internet fans: hotel has a public internet PC in the hall, but it's terribly expensive - 1000 din./hour (12 EUR). Still this isn't a problem, the "PLATO" internet-cafe is just about 7-10 minute walk away, and it has ordinary prices (more than ten times cheaper).

Unique Quality: + cheap
    + situated in the old city centre ("Stari grad") close to Kalemegdan fortress and major pedestrian street - Knez Mihailova - with lots of shops and cafes/restaurants, Public Theatre ("Narodno pozoriste"), museums... briefly speaking, CLOSE TO EVERYTHING.
    + 15 km away from airport
    + has a commission-free currency exchange office
    + has an inexpensive restaurant
    + friendly staff