In 1743 Subotica was proclaimed a market-town by the archduchess of Austria, Maria Theresa. Having been given this status the town gained independence, among others in educational administration. The municipal board applied to the Franciscan provincial for a teacher who could teach the young the foundation of the Latin language and syntax. The Franciscans appointed Toma Porubski, who started his work in 1747 and laid foundation to organized education.
The first Act of education was brought in Vienna in 1777. By this act all the Latin schools were divided into Grammar schools and Gymnasia. All the towns in which a Gymnasium would be founded were listed in the Act although some room was left for the towns where there had already been grammar classes to open a Gymnasium provided that there were conditions for it. Since Subotica was not on the list, the already existing Grammar school was abolished in 1778 only to be renewed in 1782 upon the request of the Municipal board. By the decree of the Imperial Council from Spetember 1 st , 1787 Latin was replaced by the German language in schools. Since this caused disapproval, the Emperor Joseph II quashed an order three years later and brought back the Latin language into schools.
Eventualy the Gymnasium was founded in Subotica in 1795. It consisted of three liberal-arts classes. It can be proven by the first Gymnasium seal reading "Sigil. Gimnasii M. Theresiopolitani 1795".
From 1803 there were six classes in the Gymnasium, four grammar classes, and two liberal arts ones. Under the 1845 Act of education Latin was replaced by the Hungarian language.
Until 1860 all the teachers in grammar school ,and later in the Gymnasium were the Franciscans; From 1860, apart from clergymen, university trained seculars were also engaged in teaching.