Value Score No Data
Good For Solo
Smoke and Mirrors
I've already written a review of this hostel for TripAdvisor, and I believe it appears on this site, so let me just re-state some of the facts about my stay at Kismet Dao Villa:
- Rooms contain more beds than are advertised and sometimes they let two guests sleep in one bed (so a six-bed dorm could sleep seven with the mattress on the floor, or eight if they let two people in one bed).
- A very sick very young child was permitted to sleep in my dorm room and thus many people (myself included) also became sick; this almost ruined my holiday.
- There is free laundry service but they wash everything communally and just lay it out on a table when it's dry, so people will steal your clothes. Individual laundry service was not available (even though I was willing to pay and/or do it myself).
- The driver showed up one hour late for our guided tour of Rasnov, Bran and Peles, we were rushed through all the sites, and then on the way back we had to detour to let the guide off at her house!
- The lounge area is not comfortable, though there are lots of people there and it's very social.
- Rooms and bathrooms were acceptably clean, though the kitchen had lots of flies buzzing around.
- There are a lot of staff working here (as it's very busy) and I think a lot of details get lost in the shuffle. Customer service is not a strong point.
I would definitely NOT stay here again, especially as I stayed at a much nicer hostel when I returned to Brasov several weeks later. There was a sign on the wall in the hostel about carrying regrets and emotional burdens, and oddly I took the message to heart and left a lot of emotional baggage in Romania... sadly, the bad memories of this hostel are too hard to shake!
UPDATE: As I was writing this tip I checked the Kismet Dao website and I see they moved to a new location in February 2011. While I doubt their management policies changed, I hope their new building has a cleaner kitchen and more comfortable seating area (new couches would be needed). Sadly, this new location is in a much less quaint, atmospheric part of town.
Directions: Northeast of historic center, near the Military Hospital.
The hostel is located at the end of a square in one end of the city, the southern end but actually is 10 minutes walking to the downtown.
From Piata Uniri you can take bus #4 (i guess) and bring you to the train station passing by the city center
The Area hasnt much to see its liable that your targets will be in Piata Sfatului and surroundings where people are
About the price is around 10euro in a 8 shared room and there is also a private one per 24euro
In reception there is over the wall some train schedules from Brasov to other cities and towns and guided tours
Kismet Dao Villa
The hostel has godd and worse points... i didnt like so much, maybe one of the main reasons is the wonderful hostel in sighisoara it was a paradise on earth and after it its so hard to be happy in any other place, actually the hostel is a flat with 3 or 4 floors with cosy rooms , the bathromm is shared and some curtains split the toilet with the shower so its not much nice !!!!! luckily there arnt so much people but i can imagine the chaos in summer !! lol
There is a free beer and free internet conection per 1 h not in the same hostel you have to go out and walk for 10 min going down the main street, free and poor breakfast just some toast and scanty jam and butter ..i have tasted so much better breakfast in those days going around
A good point is that a young black guy from the staff picked us up in the chaotic train station and we took a cheap cab to the hostel so was easy to get there
if i have to suggest it for a night should be nice but not more, actually i didnt spend more than one night in Brasov so was quite acceptable
Kismet Dao Hostel
We arrived in Brasov at night, and there was one of the guys that work at the hostel giving out brochures. We went with him to the hostel and there everything went ok. The hostel had available rooms, so we took a dorm (for 4 people). The following day we had breakfast, which was included, and then arranged for someone to take us to the the Bran Castle, Sinaia and a couple of more places. They took care of everything, we paid the hostel and they paid the driver.
We had a pretty good stay.
Unique Quality: 1) One 500 ml beer; or drink
3) Laundry Service
4) 1 hour of internet (not at the hostel)
5) Baggage Storage
6) use of Linens and Beddings.
Directions: Please refer to the website for directions
Avoid it !
We had picked up a leaflet in Budapest for a hostel called Kismet dao,
formerly called the Elvis villa.
and went there upon arrival. Despite the stories of locals waiting at
the train station to offer you accomodation we were not approached by
This hostel was gungy, but all we could find. what was disturbing
about it was the owner, an american-korean. In his leaflet he used language
such as "scum" refering to Romanians who tout for you to stay with them
and he also offered "buttock massages", which we took as a joke, but we
found out from others staying there that he did in fact try this on with
females staying there, to males he would make it into a joke. Basically
the guy was a pervertit seems. We also heard a tale that there were two way mirrors
in the bathroom, how true that is i do not know.
The hotel was also full of notices pinned on walls, some of a lewd nature
others calling his neighbours scum and threats of violence towards them.
He kept out of my way pretty much, but my girlfriend said she felt uneasy
around him, his eyes were everywhere.
Breakfast consisted of a stale piece of bread and a cup of un-drinkable
coffee. No toilet paper in the toilets, bed linen was dirty.
All in all we couldnt wait to get away.
Popular Hotels in Brasov
Piata Sfatului 19, Brasov
Piata Sfatului nr. 5, Brasov
12, Muresenilor Street,, Brasov
62 Republicii Blvd, Brasov
Explore the World
- Royal Garden at Waikiki
- Howard Johnson Resort Hotel St. Pete Beach
- Hilton London Kensington
- Napoleon Hotel
- Eldorado Hotel Casino
- Aseania Resort
- Fairfield Inn By Marriott Orem
- Passion Fruit Bed And Breakfast
- Chelsea House
- Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Lithonia-Stonecrest
- Best Western Hospitality House
- Eden Lancaster
- Cohiba Villas