Str. Nicolae Balcescu 4, Sibiu 2400, Romania

Satisfaction Average

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

• toonsarah's Profile Photo

A grand old hotel

The Imperatul Romanilor has a great location just a few steps from the Large Square (Piata Mare). It is a grand old building with an impressive lobby and a real sense of history. Among the famous reputed to have stayed here are Emperor Franz Joseph II, Johann Strauss, Franz Liszt – and more recently, Prince Charles.

My room on the first floor had been booked as a single, but actually had two beds so would have been adequate for a couple, although not very large. It overlooked the central courtyard where the restaurant is located, and that was a problem on the Saturday night when a wedding party meant that music was played until 2.30 AM. I have to acknowledge that when I went down to the desk to ask if I could be moved I was offered an alternative room, but this was so stiflingly hot that I turned it down.

The decor was old fashioned but the room had all that I needed, and the bathroom too - a handheld shower, plenty of towels, but minimal toiletries. There was a TV that I never turned on, and a mini-bar with reasonably priced bottles of water that proved very welcome when I found myself running low and thirsty in the extreme heat that Sibiu was experiencing that weekend. The hotel doesn’t have air-conditioning but I have to say that I never found the room too hot if I kept the window open. However this wasn’t possible when I wasn’t actually in the room, as I was concerned that someone might too easily get in from the flat roof outside (this wouldn’t be a problem on an upper floor).

Breakfast is served buffet style in the very grand-looking restaurant. It consists of good coffee, rather watery juice, breads, cheeses and cold meats, pastries, cereals and a few hot items - nothing special but more than adequate. The free wifi worked well in the lobby and intermittently in my room.

As in most places in Romania (unfortunately) smoking is allowed throughout the hotel, so there’s little point in asking for a non-smoking room. I was pleased that my room didn’t suffer from the unpleasant smell of smoke that pervaded the corridors, but you should be aware that you may have to put up with some cigarette smells and smoke. However this is hard to avoid in a country that hasn’t yet adopted smoke-free public places policies and that doesn’t seem to acknowledge that not all of us want to die young!

Next tip: Strada Nicholae Balcescu, where the Imperatul Romanilor is located

Directions: A few metres from the south west corner of the Large Square. Note that the street is pedestrianised so taxis won’t drop you right at the door

• LoriPori's Profile Photo

CLASSIC CHARM IN A GREAT LOCATION

Monday, June 17 to Thursday, June 27, 2013
    When looking for a Hotel for our stay in Sibiu, we had lots to choose from. We wanted a hotel in a good location, close to the Square and a reasonable price including breakfast. We chose the IMPARATUL ROMANILOR (which dates back to the 16th century) and booked through Booking.com for ten nights at 60 Euros a night or 600 Euros for our stay. The charges are payable in local currency which they converted using the exchange rate of 4,5209 or 2712,54 Ron.
    We were given a very warm welcome when we arrived and got a great room (#319) which was huge and had a great view of the Orthodox Cathedral steeples and the mountains. It had lots of storage space, a comfy double bed, TV with cable, two comfy sitting chairs and bathroom with tub and shower. It also had a mini-fridge with various beverages ($).
    The Hotel has a swimming pool and as the weather was so hot, we used the pool once. The water temperature was so warm that it was not refreshing at all. There is also showers, changing rooms and a sauna. Towels and bath robes are provided.
    There was no air conditioning in our room (that is to be expected as it is an old hotel) but we were provided with a stand-up fan that certainly helped cope with the heat.
    Parking is available at a location nearby and charges are applicable.
    Surrounded by many shops, restaurants and cafe's.
    Their restaurant which offers Romanian dishes, features a sliding roof.
    Internet - WiFi is available in public areas and is free of charge. We sometimes had internet from our room, but it was weak.

Unique Quality: Really enjoyed breakfast in the morning - served 7:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. - especially when other VT Members joined us for breakfast. There was quite a few members staying here, which was nice.
    Breakfast included: Eggs - hard-boiled - scrambled - sunny-side up
    Sausages - cold cuts including ham and salami
    Cheeses - yogurt - cereals
    Bread - croissants - jam & butter
    Coffee - tea - orange juice
    Fruits - apples - oranges - bananas - apricots (once) - peaches (once) - cherries (once)

Directions: Just a few minutes walking to the Large Square

• dila's Profile Photo

Near big square piate mare

I liked the hotel except n 2010 the keycard machine was broken so they could us only give one keycard. Also if there is a party you can better take a room on the street side.
    friendly staff.

Unique Quality: the roof can be moved away above the restaurant

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo

I loved this old quirky hotel.

This is a hotel that you can see was the finest hotel in town some decades ago and then probaply fell a bit apart as the iron curtain came down, but now they have restored it pretty well and for a 3 star hotel this is surely very good i think.
    I live in hotels more than 300 days a year and i am very used to the universial hotel room you see at chain hotels but this was certainly different.
    The rooms very a lot in size and style at the hotel and mine was a ratehr small room but it had two floors so i was sleeping upstairs and had a little living room downstairs.
    The breakfast at the hotel was very fine and set in a room that looked like something out of the 19th century.
    I was very happy with the friendly reception staff who were always there when i neede them and they helped me call taxis a few times aswell as helping me with various directions.
    All in all i think this place is very good value and it has the best location of any hotel in Sibiu.

Unique Quality: Excellent location and funny old interior.

Directions: In a pedestrian street around 50 meters from the main square.

• TravellerMel's Profile Photo

Hotel Imparatul Romanilor in Old Sibiu

We stayed one night at this hotel during our tour of Romania. It is located on the cobblestone pedestrian street in Old Sibiu, walking distance from the Pharmacy Museum, Bruckenthall Museum, Liars Bridge, and the medieval walls. The night we arrived, there was a group of musicians in Renaissance-style dress performing for tips on the street corner, and the magic waters were dancing in the square.

The hotel is lovely - It was built in 1555, in traditional Transylvanian Renaissance style, as a merchant's home. It was rebuilt in 1895 and converted to a hotel. Since that time many famous people have stayed here, including: Charles XII of Sweden, Emperor Joseph II; Johannes Brahms; Johann Strauss; Frantz Liszt; and the King of Belgium: Albert II.

Our rooms were two levels: on the lower level was the bathroom, mini-bar and fridge, microwave, and sitting area (table and two chairs). Up the stairs was a loft bedroom with a large, flat-screen TV. What this hotel did NOT have was air-conditioning, which would have been fine if there was a ceiling fan to move the air. As beautiful as the room was, and as convenient as it was to the local attractions, this night was the most uncomfortable for us as it was so hot and even with the windows open the air was thick...

Unique Quality: Room price includes buffet breakfast in the very regal-looking dining room, and all taxes. The website states they have a swimming pool, sauna, massage, and a fitness room, but we arrived too late in the evening to partake of these amenities. Pity...

Directions: On the pedestrian street in the historical old section of Sibiu

• Ekaterinburg's Profile Photo

Imperial past and present

As far as I'm concerned, this is THE place to stay in Sibiu. First documented in 1555, the Imaparatul Romanilor was so named in 1773 and the present building completed in 1895. The guest book is long and illustrious including some of Europes most famous musicians, leaders and members of royal families. Though not a fan of royalty in any shape or form I have to admit to being just a little bit amused that I was staying at the same hotel Prince Charles stays in when he comes to Sibiu.

Outside it certainly looks impressive and inside the 'Grand Hotel' theme is carried over in the extravagent and exhuberant decor. The drapes are a little faded here and there and the furnitutre a little rickety in places but the white wood panelling with gold trim, huge crystal chandeliers and numerous oil paintings tell their own story. This is a beautiful hotel and walking through the large sunlit rooms en route to breakfast, was an experience I relished every morning.

Breakfast itself was plentiful though some of the dishes were not entirely to my taste. However, there was cereal, boiled eggs, yogurt, bread and honey so what more could you need ?

We occupied two rooms during our four-night stay here. The first one (in picture 4), I absolutely loved, for its pristine white and blue decor and soft pillows. The second one, we moved to on Sunday evening because music from a christening party downstairs was pretty noisy. This was bigger than bedroom one but IMO, not so pretty.

Bathrooms were on the small side but as they included actual baths as well as showers this was a big plus.

We had a few glitches with a receptionist who was obviously still being trained but overall the staff were friendly and helpful, especially the reception manager who helped to make our stay here really pleasant.

I absolutely loved staying here and would recommend it without hesitation, For perect location and unique ambience, you won't do better in Sibiu.

As regards price, we got a really good rate as because of the VT meet . For current prices check the website.

Unique Quality: Location, location, location. Sibiu is one of the most beautiful cities you are ever likely to stay in and this hotel is positioned right at its heart. One minute from its doorstep and you're in the main square and centre of the acion.

Directions: Directly off the main square

• flynboxes's Profile Photo

Classic Touch

While I did not stay here this place is hard to miss when you enter the centre of the historic part of the city

Unique Quality: This is supposed to be Sibiu's best and I would not doubt it

• alirom's Profile Photo

Hotel 'Imparatul Romanilor'

Built in 1772 next to an old inn, renovated several times, the present building dated 1895.
    Hotel Împaratul Romanilor ('The Romans' Emperor') is one of the most exclusive institutions of this kind in Romania.
    Renovated couple of years ago, the hotel offers today the modern comfort without loosing the charm of the past. All rooms have private shower/bath and colour TV and the breakfast is included in a very moderated price.
    During the years the hotel hosted an impressive list of personalities, like: Franz Liszt, Johann Strauss, Johannes Brahms, Emperor Josef II of Austria, King Carol XII of Sweden, two presidents of Germany, Roman Herzog and Karl Carstens, as well as Mrs. Danielle Mitterand and Prince Charles.

• tiganeasca's Profile Photo

My favorite hotel in Romania!

Sibiu is home to my favorite hotel in the entire country: the Imparatul Romanilor (the 'Roman Emperor'). This regal grande-dame first opened in 1555 and has hosted the Austro-Hungarian Emperor, composer Johann Strauss, and me! Doors to each room are framed in handworked rosewood. The rooms, though small, are very attractive. At $45 a night (in 1999), it was a treasure. It's exceedingly well-located: you can walk almost anywhere you would want in Sibiu from the front door of the hotel. It also hosts a wonderful restaurant, though the local black marketeers who seem to make up most of the clientele, tend to detract from the enjoyment a bit.
    I paid about $45 per night in 1999.

Unique Quality: They take credit cards! (at least Visa, Eurocard, and Mastercard, that I know of). Unfortunately, I cannot tell you for certain what their telephone number is: I have simply seen too many different ones listed and my visit was long enough ago (2000) that I can no longer trust the number on my receipt. On the other hand, given its size, I don't think you will have any trouble just walking in the front door--like I did.

Directions: Just of the main square in 'downtown' Sibiu. Technically it's str. Nicolae Balcescu 4 (and if you're driving, here's an invaluable hint: virtually the only way to get there is to drive across the Piata Mare.

• codrutz's Profile Photo

Roman Emperor Hotel

Actually the prices of this hotel dropped with the competition since 2005, check the rates as they might be very affordable, last time I checked it was EUR 60 a double room (a room not per person).

Unique Quality: Best located hotel, right near Piata Mare, 86 rooms.

Comments