Hotel Angellis

Satisfaction Average

Rated 15% lower than similarly priced 4 star hotels

More about Timisoara

Victory squareVictory square

One of the faculties of Timisoaras UniversityOne of the faculties of Timisoaras University

Inside the CathedralInside the Cathedral

fabric2fabric2

Trains/Buses to Belgrade(Serbia) from Timisoara

by jsadler8

Does anyone have any english language resources that list schedules for transportation (train and bus) from Timisoara to Belgrade(Serbia)? I would likely be making this trip on October 4th. Also how long is this trip between the two cities and how frequent are these modes of transpostation to/from Belgrade?

Thanks !

RE: Trains/Buses to Belgrade(Serbia) from Timisoara

by GyuriFT

As usual, http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en will provide you some answers but try http://www.mersultrenurilorcfr.ro/default_engleza.asp?lng=2 because sometimes the german server is not having all trains.

RE: RE: Trains/Buses to Belgrade(Serbia) from Timisoara

by jsadler8

Do you know of any information regarding buses? I don't think I am going to attempt the train route. Figured the bus trip would be shorter.

Thanks!

RE: RE: Trains/Buses to Belgrade(Serbia) from Timisoara

by GyuriFT

Have no idea, really.

Travel Tips for Timisoara

The Parks , The jazz Clubs...

by valah

The Parks , The jazz Clubs , The cultural atmosphere of a University Center ..try to make friends there ...you will not regret ...they know how to have fun .The girls around ,are one of the most beautyfull I ever see ...onestly :)

A visit to the Historic...

by chagi1

A visit to the Historic Cathedral
This 268 foot-tall, narrow brick church mixes Byzantine style with Moldovian influences. The church interior accommodates 5,000 and has a tall dome at the center. In the basement is a display of the 16th to 19th century icons of wood and glass, beautifully preserved medieval stained glass, as well as books and other church objects. Admission is free, just ask one of the priests for a tour.

Timisoara City - "The Little Vienna"

by Agatho

Timişoara (pronunciation in Romanian: /timiˈʃo̯ara/; Hungarian: Temesvár, German: Temeschburg, Temeswar, or Temeschwar, Bulgarian: Тимишоара, Serbian: Темишвар, Temišvar, Banat Bulgarian: Timišvár, Turkish: Tamışvar-Tamişvar or Temeşvar), also known as "The City of Athletes", is a city in the Banat region of western Romania. It is the capital of Timiş County.

With 308,100 inhabitants, Timişoara is the 4th largest city in Romania after Bucharest, Iaşi and Cluj-Napoca[1]. It is a large economic and cultural center in Banat in the west of the country.

It is a multicultural city with influential minorities, primarily Hungarians, Germans, and Serbs, as well as Italians, Arabs, Indians, Bulgarians, Roma people, Jews and Greeks.

The city is also called "Little Vienna", because it belonged for a very long time to the Habsburg Empire and the entire city center consists of buildings built in the Kaiser era, which is reminiscent of the old Vienna. Timişoara is an important university center with the emphasis on subjects like medicine, mechanics and electro-technology. An industrial city with extensive services, it was the first European city to be lit by electric street lamps in 1884. It was also the second European and the first city in what is now Romania with horse drawn trams in 1867. There are numerous claims that Gustave Eiffel, the creator of the Eiffel Tower in Paris, built one of Timişoara's footbridges over the Bega.

The old city consists of historic city quarters with several historic squares and proms. These are: Cetate (Belváros in Hungarian, Innere-Stadt in German), Iosefin (Józsefváros, Josephstadt), Elisabetin (Erzsébetváros, Elisabethstadt), Fabric (Gyárváros, Fabrikstadt). Numerous bars, clubs and restaurants have opened in the old center in the fine old baroque square.

(Wikipedia)

Bucova Village

by Irina

"The Pension"

My husband and I have not the same tastes when it comes to holidays. This year (2002), we decided to have 2 separate holidays to satisfy both of us. This one was "My holiday". It definately met all the requirements I would ever have.

First, the pension I discovered on the Internet. The owners are teachers, live in Timisoara, but come to Bucova every summer. They do not have their own cow, chicken and so on as we expected, they buy everything from the local store, but the food is quite good.

The thing I most appreciated was the love of the family for genuine antiques and popular art objects. Every corner of the house was litterally filled with colorful, interesting objects. Maybe a little too crowded, but funny also as associations. Imagine a pair of ancient driver glasses (between-war era) hanging next to an ancient miner lamp, next to a "badai" (ancient object for scouring out the butter from the milk - I bought one too in Bucova).

The two teachers are very talkative folks. Especially the lady. If you ever go there, you will soon be informed about all the gossips in the village, but be patient. She has a very healthy sense of humour and has a weird talent of drawing unexpected conclusions out of minor events. Ask her about the Romanian Revolution in Timisoara. She has seen a lot of those days' events and her son was actively involved. I regret I haven't met her son while staying at the pension. I assume he has many more things to tell about this subject than his mother.

"The Windows, with Beautiful Handmade, Old Curtains"

The lady of the house also loves handmade, homemade lace. She told me that her mother was a genius of handmade sewing and I admired many blouses with old, traditional Transilvanian embroideries made by this lady and her mother. Some of them would deserve a plave in the Village Museum in Bucharest!

In this picture, I tried to catch the lace curtains that suit so well the house. I'm not satisfied with the results, which prove that my eyes still are better than the camera lens!

"Our Car, In The "Parking""

Bucova is on the road that links Hateg with Caransebes, very close to Sarmisegetusa. All the roads are incredibly good on the whole area. Bucova village is as I said on the main road, but the interior streets of the village are more picturesque than good.
In the picture above, the road looks almost car-friendly - but believe me, the other parts of it weren't at all! However, no damage was done to our car, thanks to the careful driver which I married.

"On The "prispa""

Prispa is like a large balcony found on the majority of the old, traditional Romanian houses. It's functions are more than numerous, corresponding to almost all the functions of the house in the hot season. Prispa is a livingroom, kitchen, bedroom etc.

The "prispa" as a rural balcony, in almost all the cases is more beautiful than the actual balconies in the city - I'm speaking only of the blockhouse balconies here - which are almost always ugly, functionning as storage place exclusively. Look at the balconies in the Romanian cities! They are absolutely mindblowing!

In the picture is of course, the prispa of the Bucova pension, decorative and functional at the same levels. You can admire some of the Romanian traditional art objects collected by the owners, especially pottery and embroided napkins (?).

I remember with great pleasure the late afternoon when it reined like hell and we stayed on the prispa, listening to the stories of the lady. She told us about her husband' family saga. They were very hard working people and were quite rich when the communist era begun. She told us how her mother in-law, when she was pregnant, was forced to quit her house and all the family's belongings in the middle of the night. The family members were scarces and forced to live in other, remote villages, starting their lives again, from nothing. That's what the communist regime understood by "nationalization" - confiscating the all the goods from the wealthy people, breaking family bonds and destroying lives. Of course, the ones who dared to protest were emprisoned for years - it was the case of the lady's father-in-law.

"Bistra River in Bucova"

The entire area of Tara Hategului has surprisingly many rivers. My country does not miss much water, but in the middle of the summer, when the air has some 37-40 degrees Celsius for weeks, many rivers tend to get dry. We left the 37 degrees on the road, before the Jiu Valley and entered another country. The temperatures were very pleasant, sometimes a bit cold in the nights, and many, many rivers.

You can assume that the vegetation was also very different from the other parts of the coutry, the ones affected by the dryness. You sure are right. Just take a look!

(Hmm... Again, my eyes can read much more nuances and colours than my camera!)

This field was in reality light green with a golden surface. But I think is still looks beautiful.

"Another Face of Bistra River"

This is not a wonderful picture, but it pictures exactly what I wanted to sho you: rich and refreshing shadow, combined with warm, sunny places with sparklingly shining, crystal-clear water.

Another bad picture, but I liked this house very much. Its walls are made of stone and the winds, the rain and possibly the vicinity of the water couloured every stone in another tome of colour.

The naked eye can see what the camera can't show: this house looks like a mosaique with very carefully assorted colours!

"A Road as Many Others in Bucova"

"What Else Would You Expect a Bucharestian To Photo"

The regret of my life is that my parents and I are born in Bucharest. This means I have no grandparents on the countryside. I've learned to identify which is the goose and which is the duck at the age of 26. The (Romanian) countryside is for me the land of fairytales, a place where I always have something new to discover: animals, flowers, objects, habits and words.

Unlike the duck and goose, I knew how a shepp is like since I was 4 y.o. I remember a nice book with a very popular Romanian legend, "Miorita". It had a sheep on the cover.

"The same road goes along both sides of the little"

As I told you earlier, I was amazed by the multitude of little rivers. Almost every garden had one. The pension was not an exception and had a bigger one than the one in this picture.
When I was in the area, it rained almost every afternoon, like St. Ilie was in the mood to arouse the gardens.

"The Villager and His Pet"

I liked very much the smile of this villager. I can tell you he had a very strong sense of humour. (I dream of writing a travelogue about the Romanian sense of humour, but I sill have major language problems.)

Just another subject of amazement for me - this huge flowers that live near the water. No big deal for you, isn't it? That's me: when I'm going to the countryside, I react like a doggie with a busy master who finally takes him to play in the park!

The Tara Hategului area is very rich in marble and stone. For the ones interested in, the famous Ruschita marble mine is close to Bucova. One of my favourite occupations was to stay on the river and choose the most beautiful coloured and shaped stones. Many of them were really spectacular. I collected 2 bags of stones.
"I hope you don't expect me to carry all those with our car, which isn't yet ours, we still have to pay for it!" said the love of my life, which you can see in the picture. "We don't need them".
Teary eyes are not a valid reason for my husband. Fortunately, I'm a copywriter. If I can persuade people to buy products they don't imperiously need, I sometimes can find persuasive reasons for carrying home 1 bag of beautiful stones.

Briefly, the sejour at Bucova was one of the most beautiful holidays I ever had. Please read also the other travelogues on this, because Bucova wasn't at all the one and only wonderful place we have seen in Tara Hategului.

At least, please look at the pictures.
Thank you, my dear friend.

Comments