Nelisse One Hotel

Expedia.com Hotelsclick.com Otel.com

More about Bucharest

Monument of RebirthMonument of Rebirth

Palace of Justice, BucharestPalace of Justice, Bucharest

He was not used to the camera I guess.He was not used to the camera I guess.

Bucharest Financial PlazaBucharest Financial Plaza

Airport Bucharest (Henri Coanda) to "Gara de Nord", is it a bus or a train ?

by LeKangoo

Ok, I found that topic on the forum before, read the airport website, but I'm all confused...

I need to go from Airport Bucharest (Henri Coanda) to "Gara de Nord", north railway train station.

My question is :
I understood there is a bus going from Airport to there (number 780 or 783 ?) ? And does it stop at other places in the city ?
Or is there a train ? (the airport website mention "Henri Coanda Express" trains)

And how long would it take from Airport to This train station on a summer saturday afternoon ?

Thanks

Re: Airport Bucharest (Henri Coanda) to "Gara de Nord", is it a bus or a train ?

by LeKangoo

OK, after searching the net, I did understood that there is either the bus 783, either a shuttle which take you to the train, which then goes to gara de nord.

by taseg

No, for the train station it's bus 780, not 783 (bus 783 goes from the airport to Unirii square in downtown Bucharest, while bus 780 goes from the airport to Gara de Nord).

By bus the trip should take at least about 40 minutes.
By shuttle+train it takes about one hour.

by ATLC

I'm not sure about the current taxi rates but while I was there (twice) I remember them being very low. Even with a Mercedes taxi (as Dacia taxis were a bit less dependable but laughably cheap).
Maybe someone can enlighten us about the current taxi costs?

by taseg

With a legitimate taxi a trip from Otopeni/Henri Coanda airport to the train station would indeed be relatively cheap, about 25-30 lei (€6-7) for a distance of ~15 km. The average taxi rate is 1.39 lei (€0.35) per km.

But at the airport there still are all sorts of rip-off cabs that would charge 30-40 euros or more for this trip, it's usually simpler to take the bus than to check which taxis are legitimate and which aren't.

by ATLC

Of course I don't know the current situation, but when I was there I used taxis all the time and it was very clear which taxis were legitimate. Our local Bucharesti friends told us what to look out for.
There's a sign with a 4(?) digit number on all sides of the taxi (I'd have to look up my Bucharest travel tip for the exact number of digits).

Only on our way back to the airport we decided to make reservations for a 'Mercedes' taxi, a bit less cheap (the word 'expensive' is not applicable here). He arrived promptly and it was a very agreable ride.

On all the other occassions we chose Dacia taxis. Simply stopped them in the street when we needed one.

by taseg

Now most of the rip off cabs also have that plate with a 4 digit taxi license number displayed on the side of the car.

The main way to distinguish them from the legitimate ones is by checking carefully the rate per km.
Like I said above legitimate cabs charge around 1,39 lei per km. This fare is always displayed clearly on the vehicle, along with the starting fee and hourly rate.

Rip off cabs have much higher base rates (over 3 lei/km) and even more at night or on out of city routes ; to top it off they also have heavily rigged taximeters.
Their prices are also displayed on the vehicle, but in such a way as to mislead potential customers (for instance "1.3,5 lei/km" actually means their lowest rate is 3.5 lei/km).
These fares might not seem like very much, but combined with the rigged taximeters they can take the full price of a trip stunningly high (hundreds of euros).

Travel Tips for Bucharest

Piatta Unirii

by DPando

The main highlight in Bucharest is the Parliament Building some years before the Cauceascu's Dictator Palace....its quite impressive but i imagined huger
We took the train a little bit cahotic as well after we purchased our ticket and we got in .. we were so confused cos we didnt know which was the station we had to get down.... luclily a kind woman talked to us in english and explained that ..it was Unirii Square or Piatta ....that is a huge huge square ...quite ugly and so so crowded by locals... we managed to resolve which was the way and after 400 meters walking by a wide boulevard we saw at the end the gorgeous building in front of us as you could see in this pic

Piata Unirii

by draguza

In the last years of the Ceausescus' reign, the southern section of Bucharest around Piata Unirii was designed to create the new civic centre.

You can find many big fountains in this square, which are an embellishment

Fencing Club in Bucharest

by mastercoach

Where to fence in Bucharest? Well, try Spada Fencing Club. I meet there many quality people, I enjoied the trainings, the bouts. The atmosphere is special there, the trainers there take care off that.

It is realy nice to experiment a trainig as different as mine was at this club.
About the adress, there is a map on their website. You can also talk to the manager there, he helped me arrived at the gym by takeing me there.

Also, there was an entire family, parents and 2 children, taking a begginers course when I went there.

I liked very much how they behaved with children. And I liked also how they choose to teach fencing, I mean theyr attitude is realy ok. I rented mine for the club. The price was very good.

Folkart Objects

by Delia_Madalina about Verii Botez

Verii Botez (translation: Baptise Cousins) is a family business. I came across Ruxandra and Monica while organizing an advertising event and admired their idea ever since.
They collect local craft objects and take them around to all the fairs across Romania. That's quite impressive given the fact that traditional costumes or patterns for decorating vary from one side of a country to another.
I bought some bookmarks , women jewelery and pottery and my friends abroad were all very pleased with them Pottery and shoulder bags 25 RON (8 Euro) for shoulder bags
15 RON (4 Euro) for bookmarks

The 50's Bar

by codrutz about My former favorite bar

Back in 2002 I was recommending "The 50's" as the best cocktail bar in Bucharest. In 2000-2002 I went there almost every weekend with friends, it was a good meeting point, listening to nice warm music and having a good drink.

Unfortunately with time other pubs became more popular, the area where The Fifties is located is not so central so this bar is now empty most of the times. I though of updating this tip in order not to give you wrong indications. Casual to elegant wear

Comments