All the World Hostel

More about Moscow

Moscow, Souvenir shopMoscow, Souvenir shop

Calendar: The Golden Ring 2007Calendar: The Golden Ring 2007

Donskoy cemeteryDonskoy cemetery

pond at the zoopond at the zoo

Is it safe for a woman in Moscow

Hi,

An acquaintance asks if it is safe for a woman in Moscow, as she travels alone.
Incidentally, I travel to the office every day, and I do it alone, too – if we disregard about a million or so metro commuters who are doing the same.

Anyway, I am a bit at a loss about what to tell her.
Any sensible suggestion?

Thanks!

by robine

Perfectly.

by Beausoleil

Tell her what you just told us and she can draw her own conclusions. I always add the suggestion that when visiting large cities, it is good to be more cautious about personal belongings than people in small towns are used to being, i.e. wear your purse across your body, avoid being out late at night alone, don't leave your things laying about unwatched, be aware of your surroundings . . . things city folk do naturally (at least until we forget).

If she's planning to use public transportation, you might tell her what language the signs are in and what she needs to know to read them.

by Muscovite

Thanks for having cheered me up!

I am trying to arrange a home exchange with Paris, and I am getting a bit tired of telling everyone we are no brown bears here chasing unwary tourists.

Robine, and how do you know ? If a woman feels safe? - Just curious :)

by robine

I was there last year on business, and took my wife, who was alone throughout the working day, with no problem whatsoever. We both really enjoyed the trip!

by Muscovite

Good to hear the voice of common sense!

She hasn’t been to Montreuil near Paris by any chance, has she?
I am offered a home exchange there.

Or maybe Beausoleil would know?

by Beausoleil

Sorry, the only Montreuil I know is in Haiti along the coast and I'd highly recommend it. Gorgeous sea there.

The Montreuil in Paris is just north of Vincennes. It's in Metro zone 2 but there is a Metro (line 9) that goes all the way to City Hall in Montreuil. I would think it would be an easy commute but I don't know the neighborhood. Hopefully someone from the area will log on and answer you. It might help them if you could give at least a street in Montreuil.

by Beausoleil

I just noticed this post is in the Moscow forum. You probably should post the question about Montreuil in the France and Paris forums if you want anyone from there to see it. Good luck.

I did, thank you!

by yumyum

Of course, Moscow is much safer than a lot of western towns if you use common sense. As you know I survived several months and many other visits there by myself ;)

Travel Tips for Moscow

You must see the Diamond Fund....

by jobeski

You must see the Diamond Fund. Fascinating place, worth the money( about $10 US).I don't have the exact address but it is near Red Square. My best memory is the beauty of the architecture. These folks sure know how to build beautiful buildings.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs

by luiggi

Eight skyscrapers were planned and seven built, forming a ring in the center of Moscow. Often called the "Seven Sisters," they are:

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs
The Hotel Ukraine
The Moscow State University Tower
Kotelnicheskaya Naberezhnaya
Kudrinskaya Square
Leningradskaya Hotel
Red Gate Square

Metro station " Novokuznetskaya"

by kris-t

In architectural design of station " Novokuznetskaya" (1943) the theme of Russian people strength has found a bright embodiment. Seven smalto panels tell about work of Russian people in rear. Marble benches for passengers are installed. Bronze standard lamps are applied for illumination.

Homeless pets

by yumyum

There are lots of homeless pets in Moscow like this cat. I know this cat as I often saw this kitten sitting on the side of the sidewalk in the snow and people left food there for it. It seemed to live in the cellar of that building.

It's common to see people feed homeless pets and not only in Moscow but I also saw it in Petersburg, when I lived there.

Packing List

by lavell

I suggest a fairly rugged bag - if you will only be in Moscow, a bag on wheels will be alright, but bear in mind that the pavement does not always run smoothly and those little wheels on suitcases are not as tough as they would like to think!
So - either wear it on your back or take a set of portable wheels.
I would recommend a day pack - nothing too fancy, but be careful about what you put in there - just as you would in any big city - this should be for your water, guide book, packets of tissue (more later on this) and a sweater - By the way, this is summer time I am talking about.
You should always have a spare plastic bag, more for the sake of tradition than because there is any difficulty in finding plastic bags. Actually, for tradition, you should have an 'avoska' a string bag which is 'by chance' - for when you find something 'by chance' Great tradition SUMMER ONLY - I will come back and prepare a WINTER list separately, as these are two entirely different wardrobe we are talking about!

Loose, comfortable clothes, cotton. It can get comparatively humid (I am not comparing this to the tropics) in the summer and there is not much in the way of airconditioning outside the top hotels and restaurants.
You will be doing a lot of walking - wear comfortable shoes. You can wear really high heels and break them in the cobblestones, but I wouldn't recommend it.
Your clothes and shoes may get quite dusty - they water down the streets each morning in summer - supposedly to keep the dust down, but all it seems to do is make it humid and encourage mosquitoes. Packets of tissue paper (pocket kleenex and the sort) are almost my #1 tip - you can buy them over in Moscow, but always carry them with you - toilet paper, scrap paper, lens cleaner - why, you could even blow your nose on them!

Mosquito/Insect repellant or after-sting cream - this is a bit of a personal matter, but I find I react really badly to Russian Mosquitoes (not Australian, English, Canadian or French ones) So I always have a tube of anit-bite relief cream and some antihistimine tablets.
All of this you can buy in Moscow pretty easily, but if you have a favourite product from back home, might as well bring it with you. I will double check in 2001 - but in 1999 it was almost impossible to buy APS film and I had not come across any place that would develop it in Moscow. So, bring it with you.

Comments