4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

11 Malaya Dmitrovka St, Moscow, Central Russia, 127006, Russia

Hotels.com Booking.com Expedia.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4.5 star hotels

• wonderful

The hotel was wonderul. Convenient location in the very center, but in a quiet street.
    The receptionist at check in was very friendly, and gave us a lot of recommendations and useful city information on how to get around, what to see, and so on.

Unique Quality: huge golden apple in the lobby

Directions: quiet part of the center

• Muscovite's Profile Photo

How time flies...

I never knew this hotel existed until yesterday.

This is the story:
    I wrote to Professor Rayfield about a hotel in Nice where Chekhhov stayed in 1897-98 and unexpectedly got a tip on Sheshkov guesthouse on Malaya Dmitrovka in Moscow. Which room he had in either, it is impossible to say now, as both buildings were totally reconstructed inside. You can google other catch-names – Leo Tolstoy, Ivan Bounine, Konstantin Stanislavsky (he with the ‘method’), Issac Levitan.
    Three floors were added in 1910, you can see it in the picture.

The place, as many other fine buildings in Moscow, was deliberately brought to ruins in early 2000s, to change hands and become a new Russian goldmine a couple of years later.

Oh yes, forgot to say.
    Donald Rayfield is the well-known authority on Chekhhov.
    And Anton Chekhhov is a well-known Russian writer.

Directions: Very central

P.S. Their site is in the Russian Cyrillic net, learn the alphabet :)

• A nice little hotel

I stayed in this hotel for 3 nights in March. It was a great deal since I booked beforehand. When I arrvied they offered me a promotion to a better room, so it was sweet.

It was my first stay. Service and food were excellent. They have nice breakfast with lots of fresh fruit and berries. Rooms are not big, but clean and cosy. They have different design specials that you may notice - if you know something about arts and architecture.

Location was nice - around 5 min. from Metro Tverskaya. Lost of walking places. Neighbourhood was pretty safe even at night - well lit, lots of police walking.

I would recommend to try. It's unlike the most of the 5-star hotels.

Unique Quality: I loved location and breakfast the most.

Directions: Moscow Center, close to Metro Tverskaya, Chekhovskaya, Pushkinskaya

More about Golden Apple Boutique Hotel

Painfully expensive

by TripAdvisor Member Travel22Much

Overall the Golden Apple Hotel was a great place to stay, but when the bill came - ouch! Well over $600 per night PLUS Internet charges ($12/hour) and a very pricey bar. The staff spoke great English which was a welcome respite from the completely foreign city. It's not centrally located, though the weather was nice enough for us to walk wherever we needed to go. If you're on a business trip, probably not a bad splurge but otherwise save your $$ for caviar.

One of the best in Moscow

by TripAdvisor Member for777

I stayed at the Golden Apple Hotel twice. It's located in the heart of Moscow and I'd recommend this hotel not only when you make a business trip, but also go sight-seeing. Golden Apple is charming and very modern, similarly to other european hotels. I enjoyed fresh fruit and chocolate which was brought to the room every day. Everyone on the staff was courteous, helpful and professional. Definitely I'll stay at this hotel again when I come to Moscow.

Definitely above my expectations!

by TripAdvisor Member ArmTravel

We stayed in Golden Apple Hotel on 22-23 December 2007 while spending first couple of days after our wedding. I heard a lot about the unreasonably high price level in Moscow and the rip-off skills of everyone involved in the service sector there. So, I can say I was extremely prejudiced and overconscious.

I made the booking through the hotel website, as the special rate there was twice lower than the one advertized by the search sites (we paid approximately EUR 350 for two nights' stay, while sites like [--] offer EUR 330 per night).

Before arriving to the hotel I e-mailed them asking about any special offers for the newly married couples and they sent me an offer of upgrade to a better room with champagne/fruit in the room for additional fee of around EUR 80. I responded that I only need refreshments in the room and I don't mind staying in the original room. They replied that they'd passed my order to the hotel restaurant and would shortly come up with proposal and cost. However, I received no response before my arrival.

On our arrival to Moscow the first positive surprise was the taxi price: we used pre-booked service and paid around EUR 80 return. After living in London for a number of months this definitely did not look like a ripoff price.

But the best surprise waited for us in the hotel: we were indeed upgraded to the superior room and got our champagne and fruit, all for free!!!!!!! Absolutely unexpected and delightful:)

Talking about the hotel services, the breakfast was really good with a wide choice of omlettes prepared on order, great bakery selection, fruit and berries, cheese, smoked fish and meat! And, of course, amazing Russian pancakes with maple syrop as a desert!

Room service was very good too: we went to the famous cafe Pushkin one night and ordered full meal from the hotel restaurant to our room on another. I must admit the hotel cuisine was comparable, if not better! The only unclear thing was if service charge was included in the price (as stated in the menu), or payable on top (as implied by the waiter), but given the overall picture this was definitely a minor thing!

So, to sum up, I would definitely advise any visitor to Moscow to stay in the Golden Apple Hotel (make sure you book through hotel site!) both due to its amazing location (close to everything, especially convenient for Lenkom visitors:) and professional service.

Furthermore, I would like to tell everyone who like myself has the "expensive Moscow image", that it is as expensive as any other major world capital, like Oslo, Paris, etc. The good news is that finally not only prices but also Moscow service standards keep up with the other European capitals!

Good, trendy boutique hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Skibummer

The Golden Apple is, as its publicity states, a chic, well-located boutique hotel (c. 5 – 10 mins walk to the metro, taking you into Red Square within 5 mins). It is in the Tverskaya area, which has decent shopping and restaurants. The rooms are fairly small, though modern, well-appointed and spotlessly clean. The chic, minimalist décor errs on the side of “institutional” (e.g. stainless steel basins in the bathroom), but this is compensated for by luxurious touches like top quality bed linen and heated floors in the (small) bathrooms. Breakfast – served in the trendy restaurant – was excellent, with a full continental buffet (including some Russian touches, like salted fish and prawns) and an English option. The public areas are glamorous and fun, with the bar a particular highlight. I would not attribute much value to the spa, which consists of a sauna and Jacuzzi (cold, possibly intentionally in line with the Russian banya tradition, but disconcerting if you’re expecting a hot-tub) which are only switched on by prior arrangement. As with any Russian hotel, pre-paying in full obviates any problems with “unofficial” exchange rates or surprise “taxes” and extras.

No space

by TripAdvisor Member silversurfer2

Stayed 6 nights in golden apple. Thought by the pictures shown on their homepage, that the rooms have a normal size. Standard rooms are very small -almost no space for laguage and the bathrooms are too small to turn around and have no bidet. This is even more disapointing when you see how they present themself. The next class is only 1 sqm bigger. After upgrading to the next class, which is at least big enough to hang my cloth into a wardrobe, I ended up paying 60% more than for the standard size (360,- Euro, ~480$). The management apologized for the difference of size of the standard room and the advertised pictures and told me, that "we know about this problem".
Besides, I felt sometimes I was in a 50$ hotel: no service when checking in, unfriendly staff at front desk, everything cost extra ( a lot). Rooms are clean and nicely decorated but hotel is far too expensive for the service provided.

Cool boutique in a central location away from the busy streets of central Moscow

by TripAdvisor Member JemJeanzLondon

My wife and I stayed at this hotel over a long weekend. It is the only/first boutique hotel in Moscow. Service is very goodand the staff speak English, which is also not that common in Moscow.
The hotel staff are very good at providing recommendations for tours, restaurants etc.
The rooms are spacious and include all the necessary modern features of a boutique hotel. The breakfast is adequate, but it is not that easy to make it for the end time for breakfast serving as late nights in Moscow are hard to avoid.
Though not right in the heart of Moscow city central, it is still a close enouogh walk to the Red Square.
It is a good idea to request that the hotel arrange an airport pick-up.

Nice Apple

by TripAdvisor Member Stimbe

Stayed there couple of nights on my business trip. I travel quite a lot in Russia and I was amazed of this little hotel. First impression was that I did not believe I was in Russia. Everybody spoke english and service was good and polite. This is really rare in Russia. Rooms may be smallish and shower is not for fat people but that's hardly hotel's fault. All I need is a clean quiet room with good bed and this is what I got here. I would say that hotel is modern and above average. For instance Club 27 hotel nearby is in same price range and it's terrible. This one is really good and hotel room prices are ridiculously high in Moscow anyway.

Breakfast is also quite decent. They offer "extras" in addition to buffet table and I saw people to refuse them. I think they did not know that these extras are free of charge. Restaurant is also really good. I would say some portions are actually gourmet food. They have also "business lunch" for 500 RUR which is normal price but again the food was above average. I ended up to eat the lunch every day because my office is nearby.

There is also small exercise room with three cardio equipment and sauna with swirl pool as well.

I enjoyed my time in this little hotel.

Clearly over-priced.

by TripAdvisor Member Jonxx

This hotel is over-priced. Neither the room, the facilities nor the quality of service is worth the rates.

The room was small but adequate. The bathroom was cramped and flooded when you take a shower.

The facilities were poor. The gym was disappointing. The sauna area was always "booked out" or "being cleaned" - slightly unsavoury!

The service was brusque. Nothing wrong with that in Moscow, but certainly not for a hotel that charges international prices.

You had the impression there was a clear rip-off agenda - everything was very expensive. Charging R700 for a bottle of Vittel is really just an insult.

Redeeming features? The bar and restaurant looked great, though we didn't eat there. My companion loved the chocolates left on the bed each night (we wolfed them down, not counting the cost).

THERE IS CURRENTLY A BIG BUILDING PROJECT UNDERWAY NEXT TO THE HOTEL - VERY NOISY IN THE MORNING AND DURING THE DAY.

Give the Golden Apple a look

by TripAdvisor Member JeremyFoy

Like always, the Good, Bad and Ugly.

Overall, I would recommend this property. I felt comfortable in the hotel and was treated very nice. The hotel was clean and the service was professional. I will stay at the Golden Apple again.

The Good
- Room and bathroom very clean. Hotel is fairly new so the amenities were in good shape.
- Breakfast. Excellent mix of fresh meats, fish, vegetables, cereals, etc. Plus, you could order omelette's, toast, bacon, etc. from menu (all included).
- Location from center. About a 20 minute walk from the Kremlin. About a 5 minute walk from a metro stop.
- The bar. Although I'm not a bar guy, the area was quite unique and fun. A couple of nights there were private parties that the hotel staff invited us to join. The staff did a nice job of pouring drinks and the bar was very modern.
- The overall location was good as well, although the city is fairly large, so it clearly depends upon where you will spend your time.
- Service. Asked front desk to make reservations and all went well. Also asked housekeeping for a couple of items and received with no issues.

The Bad
- Room size. I had a large room because of my extended stay, but even then it was small on Western terms. I was fine with the size (my rating = ok), but those expecting a large room will be dissappointed.
- My room (201) was along the front of the hotel and regrettably I could hear traffic much of the night. Although it did not keep me awake, it was clearly audible. The hotel sits fairly close to the road.
- Price. Although welcome to Moscow! With the small size, good service, and newness, the Golden Apple may be a bargain.

The Ugly