Hotel Enigma Moscow

Satisfaction No Data

No Satisfaction or Value Data Available

Good For No Data

More about Moscow

The Memorial Complex on Poklonnaya MountainThe Memorial Complex on Poklonnaya Mountain

At the center of Red SquareAt the center of Red Square

MBIC: Metro station MezhdunarodnayaMBIC: Metro station Mezhdunarodnaya

Ostankino TV centreOstankino TV centre

Lost in Moscow

by Ysamar

Hi!
We,re a young couple and will be traveling to Moscow & St. Petersburg on July, we are used to warm weather 85F and up. How cold can it get in Moscow during summer?? Are waterproof shoes a must?? Is it safe to walk around at night time on both places?? We plan to go from Moscow to St. Petersburgh by train overnight. Should we pay extra :( for the first class ticket or is 2nd class safe enough for only both of us?? Can any local be of any help during July to help us around? We speak no russian at all :(

Thanks!
Ysa

by Ysamar

Thanks!

by Dabs

We just took a night train from Krakow to Lviv and we got a sleeper compartment for 2 people, it slept three but it was very nice not having a 3rd person in it (the top bunk requires use of a ladder). You can lock it from the inside and then not have to worry about whether anyone will be rummaging through your luggage so I thought it was worth the extra money.

We don't speak any Russian either and somehow managed to get around both cities. Do learn the cyrillic alphabet or carry around a cheat sheet with you, sometimes street names and metro stops etc are only in cyrillic and not in the roman alphabet. And try to find a guide book that lists both the cyrillic and the roman alphabet on maps and sights, that is also useful.

We found it safe to walk around in the evening, I'm not sure about how late you are talking. I didn't find either city any more dangerous than any other large European city.

by Muscovite

We use Celsius here, and it may be easily vary from 10 to 35 in summer.
Waterproof is a good idea, heavy-duty, too, and not shoes only. This is not a place for the faint-hearted.
There is no such thing as 1st or 2nd class. There are sleepers for 2, sleepers for 4 and sleepers for the whole car. The last ones are considered the safest - crooks do not like witnesses.
Take a guide-book and don't bother about guides - you don't think Russian tourists en masse at the Turkish Riviera actually speak any Turkish?

Travel Tips for Moscow

St. Basilio Cathedral

by xaver

This is one of the places that even if I seen hundreds of times in photo, still surprised me once I got there, infact there is no picture nor movie that can prepare you to the incredible fusion of forms and colours carateristic of this Cathedral.
This is considered the symbol of russia and it has been built betwen 1555 and 1561 replacing an old church that was in the same point, to celebrate the occupancy of the tartar Kazan by Ivan the great the october 1st 1552. Legend says that Ivan the great made the architect blind in order to avoid him to build anything similar in the future.
The cathedral is open every day but thursday since 11 untill 17 and the cost of the ticket is 100 rubles.

Currency

by Dabs

Gone are the days of changing rubles on the street on the black market.

ATMs are everywhere in Moscow. You can withdraw currency in either rubles or USD (and perhaps other currencies but I wasn't paying attention). I did not have any trouble finding one with a Cirrus logo.

We saw many currency exchange booths, I've read that it is better if you have newer currency in good condition.

Credit cards were accepted at some places.

USD were accepted by vendors at the tourist markets, frequently prices were quoted in both USD and rubles.

Moscow in May

by Canadienne

Weather is such a fickle, unpredictable thing. . .and yet, having good weather can raise a setting to new heights. Our visit to Moscow in mid- to late-May was perfectly timed. . .the weather was gorgeous (22-26 every day), the flowers were in bloom, and all the locals were out enjoying the start of summer. A number of our fondest memories of Moscow centre around the parks, squares and gatherings of people. There was a light and friendly atmosphere. . perhaps partly the result of coming out of a long winter.

Moscow Students’ superstitious

by LeraVB

Probably all students around the world have their own superstitious about attracting the Luck on exam.
It doesn’t matter how many hours you spent on lecturers and books before exam, you must be sure good luck will follow you… and you do certain ritual for that.
For Russian students are important:
• Not wash or cut hair on the day of exam. In case, all “right” and “clever” thoughts wouldn’t leave the head .
• Always wear the same “fortune” clothes for all exams.

If you will go around Russian students’ dormitories at midnight before exam, you would hear plaintive cries from opened windows. With credit book and magic words “Freebie, be caught” students try to attract Freebie and Fortune. The louder student cry, the more possibly the freebie will come. And I know many a one who have succeeded 

Another ritual with 5 kopeks coin (soviet time) or five rubles coin: when you going to pass exam, it is necessary to put it into shoes under left heel and success almost guaranteed…! 

It’s interesting, especially for Moscow’ students a monument in the form of huge "five-kopeck coin" was built in Mar’ino district of Moscow (Park park of the 850 anniversary of Moscow). During session time it gathers a lot of students from all universities of Moscow.

If you would like this hot time has passed successfully, it is necessary to stand into bronze boots and blindly to throw five kopecks in the center of the big five-kopeck coin.

And to hand over all session, it is necessary to get from the center of a monument a five-kopeck coin on the name of the university, where you study and which abbreviations are put on the earth, or to put your credit book to "five" on bronze credit book.

Another monument there is in Moscow Metro. At the“Revolution square” station you can easily find among others monument of frontiersman with dog. By students belief the touch of dog’s nose brings good luck on exam, and many Moscow student hurry up in early morning on the day of exam to do this ritual.

If you are planning to study in Moscow I hope this knowledge would be helpful for you. Good luck!!!

AMERICANO VS....

by strader

AMERICANO VS. AMERIKANSKI
Apparently the only place you can get an 'americano' - espresso with hot water added - is in the states. VT'ers tell me if I'm wrong. Don't try to get one in Moscow! They don't have them. Much less any decent coffee except at a few cafes.
You can order an 'Amerikanski' in Moscow - this is basically drip coffee like we have in the states. It tastes really bad though, like Taster's Choice or Folgers dehydrated coffee.
At one French cafe I went to in Moscow, I was determined to order an americano. I tried to explain to the 'barista' that I wanted espresso with hot water in a big cup - it took me about five minutes to explain it to her. She thought I was totally insane because apparently no one had ever ordered anything like that before. And I pissed off the French tourists behind me.
Here's my advice - for good coffee in Moscow - order an espresso and hot water (Voda) in a big cup, and pour the espresso in the water like they do at Starbucks! I'm going to do this next time I go to Moscow. Need good coffee.

Comments