Hotel Rossija Moscow

Photography Architecture Seniors
angelochka's Profile Photo

nothing left...

by written on May 17, 2007

i've heard that they demolished the hotel but havent seen that sad empty place myself till 2 weeks ago, in fact it's pretty sad cause it was the hotel in the city with a very good location and at the same time the prices were average (unusual for Moscow!). we still dont know what will be at it's place, probably another hotel but no construction works happening at the moment. All is about the money..and probably we will see another 5* hotel with huge prices in the future:(

Directions: not far from metro "Kitay-Gorod"

End of hotel Rossiya

by written on April 10, 2007

Some days ago the hotel Rossiya was totally broken down due to massive program of sanitize surround blocks of Kitay-gorod (Moscow old town). There is not any plan to rebuilt that. So you nevermore could book this accomodation.

guilopez's Profile Photo

Please Do not Stay Here

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on April 6, 2007

Old and very unconfortable "Hotel" the one called Rossia. It has table dance clubs in every corner, it is possible the biggest hotel in Europe but possibly the worst to stay. The worst food for breakfast. Try better the Marriot, The Meridien or it seems a Four Seasons or a Ritz is been built in a close location to the red square.

sennaya's Profile Photo

HOTEL ROSSIYA: Biggest now the smallest

by written on February 17, 2007

In 1967 the Hotel Rossiya along the banks of the Moscow river and the Kremlinn was the largest in the world. It had 2700 rooms and a great view and short walk to Red Square.
It was a very economical accommodation in the best location. Now the russian government is renovating the area, the hotel is torn down and by 2009 a new 5-star development will be in place. Once the great hotel for all people, now it will be an expensive place for travelers with big budgets.

Unique Quality: Right next to the Kremlin

Directions: Right now- 2008 - you can watch the reconstruction

mwe's Profile Photo

Centrally located within view of Red Square.

by written on February 12, 2007

At this hotel you'll know you're in Moscow, as you can see the iconic view of Red Square.
It's a huge hotel. I had a classic Soviet refrigerator in my room.

In 1999 the rooms weren't airconditioned, apparently because Russians like to enjoy the heat after the cold Moscow winters. However, there were very long opening windows in the bedrooms.

There were security receptionists on every floor of the hotel to prevent ladies knocking on people's room doors. This didn't happen to me, but others on my coach party were approached.
I don't know the cost, as it was included in the cost of a Cosmos coach tour.

Unique Quality: Probably the most centrally located hotel in Moscow.
Easy walk to all the significant sights.

Directions: Literally opposite Red Square. Very central.

RuiPT's Profile Photo

The old comunism accommodation

by written on July 13, 2006

I stayed in Roossya hotel only 3 nigths. I can tell you that hotel is the biggest in Europe, and the view of my room was not very nice, because I only could see others rooms from the hotel. The room were confortable and with enough space and very clean. The staff wasn't much friendly, and almost every time we need to show our hotel card. But the most important I was a few steps from St Basil Cathedral and from Red Square.

Unique Quality: Great location

Directions: The tallest building near Red Square

High_Elf's Profile Photo

The Big One

by written on January 20, 2006

I was a bit worried staying at this hotel after reading so many bad reviews about it... But I liked it here. I stayed in the Kremlin view room (the best rooms) and it was very nice and clean.
The guards at the hotel are a bit strict anyways wanting to see your pass before you go into the lifts. I wanted to show my friend the room and they would not allow it. But I guess it keeps the sex tourists away :)

Unique Quality: ITS SO BIG!

Directions: Near Red Square

sue_stone's Profile Photo

The biggest hotel in Europe!

by written on September 18, 2005

Hotel Rossija calls itself the biggest hotel in Europe - and it sure is huge!! Located just off Red Square, it is in a fabulous central location to explore Moscow.

There are a few different types of rooms (the un-renovated rooms cheapest of course) and I can highly recommend the 'renovated Kremlin view' rooms - our room had the most amazing view of St Basils Cathedral & the Kremlin (and considering we spent so much time in our room as my husband got food poisoning, this was truly appreciated!).

Unique Quality: The hotel is split into 4 wings, so make sure you know which wing your room is in, or you will spend ages walking around the never ending corridors looking for it. Make sure you carry the small card with you at all times that shows your room number, as you will be asked to show this when catching a lift from the lobby.

There are a few restaurants and bars in the lobby area, and there are small cafes located on most floors as well. I wouldn't recommend the food at any of these...but they do sell cold drinks and snacks. Not cheap though.

The reception staff were not too friendly, but did speak some English. There is a taxi booking desk in the lobby (they understood English too), where you can prepay and they will give the driver details of where you are going.

I have heard rumour that Hotel Rossija is being demolished in the next couple of years...what a pity! It may be ugly looking but it is the perfect base to explore this intriguing city.

Directions: Nearest Metro Station: Kitay Gorod - 3-5 minutes walk

Hotel is right next to Red Square

morgenhund's Profile Photo

Carbuncle of communism

by written on August 22, 2005

The Rossiya was a very comfortable hotel - with duvets and comfortable beds, which are not always guaranteed in 3 star accommodation in Moscow and had an unbeatable location, especially when guests chose a Kremlin/Red Square view (you paid extra for this). The bathrooms were compact but well appointed and the rooms comfortable and spacious enough. The building might be a carbuncle of communism, but from the inside you can't of course see it! Breakfast was a pricey extra - why not go elsewhere!

Unique Quality: Booking a room with a view of the Kremlin might have cost about $20 extra per night, but to pull back the curtains to the view of Red Square, St Basil's and the Kremlin was certainly worth it - particularly if you were only staying one night.

Directions: Just off Red Square - incredibly central

jrontour's Profile Photo

Great hotel :-)

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 19, 2005

Great room, great wiev, great location but the staff was not happy :-( but I had a great stay for 6 days.

Planet_Three's Profile Photo

Unfriendly but Comfortable

by written on January 4, 2005

It took three weeks to have this hotel finally confirm to me about my reservation. I did go through an agency (based in Russia) for the reservation but despite constant emails to them, they told me they couldn't get hold of the hotel so THEY didn't have any information about my booking. 2 days before my departure I finally got confirmation.

Upon arrival to the hotel I was faced with police (not security) who made me go through metal detectors and my luggage went through an x-ray - like at an airport.! I thought this was very extreme security even though I had read reports about security at this hotel.
As it turns out, the hotel was accomodating several hundred children for a couple of days (for some kids Christmas party at the Kremlin). I guess the police are extra careful with children becasue of the siege from the Chechans in southern Russia. - After the kids left, so did the police.

The reception staff are very unfriendly and fairly unhelpful. But I got my key and went upstairs past security (who check everytime that you have reservation), and found my room after walkiing down endless corridors.
The room was basic but very clean and comfortable.\
I had what they call a 'Kremlin Superior Single." (A renovated room with single bed and a kremlin view).
AWESOME views!!!! St. Basils and Kremlin had unrestricted views from my room.

Plus points:
- Not very expensive, I got my room for $65USD / night over New Years period.
- Clean comfortable room.
- Best views
- Great location! 1 minute walk to Kremlin, Red Sqaure and St Basils!

Minus points:
- Staff unhelpful (but really, unless you really need hand holding, who cares right?)
- Security strict with who goes up elevators (I wanted to show two friends who were staying elsewhere the view - I couldn't!)

If you are an independant traveller who can ignore the staff and can get on with it yourself, this is a great place.

Unique Quality: Great views from "Kremlin" rooms.

Best location. 1 minute walk from Kremlin, Red Square and St Basils. 3 mins walk from Metro station.

sswagner's Profile Photo

Location, location, location.....

by written on January 4, 2005

Wouldn't it be nice if while your partner was showering in the room, you could step outside and see Red Square? If you are a guest at the huge hotel, you can do this. We walked everywhere we went in Moscow thanks to the great location of the hotel. There is a decent restaurant with authentic Russian cuisine available. Rooms were quaint, yet they were fine with me.

Unique Quality: Imagine eating breakfast at the nice buffet and seeing the towers of the Kremlin right across from you. Yes, it is that close.

Klod5's Profile Photo

Hôtel Rossia ***,

by written on November 10, 2004

Au coeur historique de Moscou, cet hôtel construit en 1973, compte 21 étages. Il est situé sur les rives du Moskva avec une merveilleuse vue sur la ville et est à quelques pas de la Place Rouge, du Kremlin et du Théâtre Bolshoy.

To the historic heart of Moscow, this hotel constructs in 1973, account 21 floors. It is situated on the strands of the Moskva with a marvelous view on the city and is to some steps of the Red Place, the Kremlin and the Theater Bolshoy.

Unique Quality: 3000 chambres !
On y retrouve de nombreux restaurants, dont le "Tokyo", réputé comme le meilleur restaurant japonais de Moscou ainsi que des boutiques, bars, night clubs, piscine. Les chambres ont la télévision, salle de bain privée.

3000 rooms !
One recovers many restaurants there, of which "the Tokyo", well-known as the best Japanese restaurant of Moscow as well as boutiques, bars, night clubs, swimming pool. The rooms have the television, private bathroom.

Lunita's Profile Photo

We kind of knew it before hand but....

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 11, 2004

we never thought that the attention was so so bad in that Hotel.
Everybody seems to be very unhappy with theyre job and mad with people for some reason.
Ok, you dont pay too much, anyway, i think that the attention could be better, it is so bad that can give you a head ache and distract you from the enjoyment of your travelling.
I recomend you to be really strong in the specification if you need a double bed, otherwise you will be sleeping in twin beds with your couple (we where really clear about it, and we got a twin room anyway).....

Unique Quality: The location is great, no doubt, the views are pretty from every side of the huge building.

dlandt's Profile Photo

Communist Chic

by written on July 24, 2004

I didn't actually stay here, but my wife was somehow entralled by this skyline devouring megaloth. Its really very impresive in size and its rumored people can get lost inside it.

Unique Quality: Built during the comunist era, the hotel has a really bad reputation. Every time we drove by it, whoever was driving made sure to make a few disparaging remarks. It might be fun to stay there for a few days just for remembrance of times past. Maybe the funniest quote I heard about it referred to vodka fumed thugs in the lifts.

Directions: Adjacent to Red Square

Nearby Hotel Rossija Moscow

34 Photos of Hotel Rossija Moscow

Moscow Travel Forum

Need advice about Moscow, Russia? Visit the Travel Forum for Moscow and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Moscow hotel reviews