Hotel Rossija Moscow

Varvarka Street 6, Moscow, 103495, Russia

• Faracy's Profile Photo

I got a room cheap, so I stayed

I got my room at the Russian price, thus I stayed here. On the plus side, its close to the Kremlin, Red Square, and the Metro.
    On the down side, its kind of delapidated (at least when I was there last) and has a sketchy atmosphere... I don´t recommend walking around alone at night... I did, and met some really odd people... of the mafia kind.
    The front desk speaks some English, and there are a lot of tourists staying here, so there is a bit of safety in numbers.

Unique Quality: There are some really cool views from the upper windows... you can see Red Square, the Kremlin, and the River.

Directions: in back of Red Square

• anna-m's Profile Photo

The biggest in Europe

I was in Moscow on business, and the stay at this hotel was pre-arranged by my boss. I had been warned that the place was big, but it surpassed all my expectations... I mean, one can so easily get lost in there, and I surely did, on more than one occasion!
    Apart from its size (which is impressive in itself, though the actual building is an architectonic disaster), there were few things that I liked, to be honest. The staff was not very friendly and only very few could speak English, so that I had tons of trouble with simple ordering of a coffee to be brought into my room (they showed up with a whole jug of it, and no cup!!!)

Unique Quality: The facilities are numerous, and range from the usual ones (internet lounge, conference rooms, restaurants- some of them actually really nice, hairdresser's, pharmacist's, exchange offices.... to the real concert hall, a movie theatre and a variety of doctors' services, inculding an optician, a dentist and a gyneacologist! But, interesting as all this is, they are all way to expensive
    The best part, still, was its unique position. Located virtually next to the Red Square, and with its breathtaking views, this hotel managed to make up for all its shortcomings, at least for me.

Directions: The Red Square

• aqazi's Profile Photo

Just Plain Wierd!

The Rossiya hotel in Moscow is infamous, standing right by the red square it is excellently located. However for a a hotel with such a prominent position you'd be very wrong if you expected all the five star luxuries of say a Hilton. This hotel is an icon of the communist era, the lobby is full of security and body guards (to stop the prositiutes coming in?). The rooms are pretty basic given the price tag ($100 US) and breakfast is served in huge dining rooms by the most miserable older ladies imaginable. Breakfast indeed was a sight for sore eyes and the food itself was as blan as the wallpaper.

What made my stay so eventful however is a bit embarrasing. This hotel is huge, humungous, it has nearly 3000 rooms!.

....So we finished breakfast and went back to our room...uh oh our key dosen't fit the lock, this isn't the right room, so we walked around the biulding (a long way) and then realised we were on the worng floor. After going round in circles for a while we decided we sould go outside, walk to the front entrance and then find our room that way. But then we couldn't find an exit. Anyway it took us around 40 minutes to find our room, it,s the first and only time I have ever been lost in a hotel. It was surreal, like an episode of the Shining. Spooky!

Unique Quality: You can actually taste a bit of the old regime when you stay in this hotel....seriously, I'm sure the bad they serve at breakfast is 20 years old. I'm glad I stayed here just for the experience and the stories I've been able to tell. But don't stay more than one night if you can!

Directions: Right by the Red Square!

• Moscow in an civilised & affordable way.

Very close to subway(und'ground) Sputnik (Satellite Hotel), is a leisurely 12 min walk up leninsky Av, on the rightside.offer decent prices, correct service and food
    all that nearly in the center.
    English is needed to be understood correctly.

Unique Quality: The price is down to earth(a treasured quality in today Moscow)(from 1 OOORUR)
    5 min walk from Subway(metro).
    Good indian restaurant , with attentive service.
    the hotel replies (quite)quickly to enquiries.
    in more than 5 stays i ve never had "a problem"

Directions: From metro which is at the roundabout, go up leninsky on the right side(or 3 trolleybus stops)

• Nich's Profile Photo

Rooms with a view

This is the largest hotel in Europe and was built to seem large. The corridors seem endless and, although it is just a square block, it's quite easy to lose your way in here

Unique Quality: The views of St Basil's and the Kremlin are unforgettable.

Directions: Red Square

• Rick2001's Profile Photo

Hotel Rossija's review

Before going to Moscow I've read all I could find on Internet about Hotel Rossija and I come up more confused than ever......
    Someone talked in good terms of it, even if they told that its quality standard wasn't so good, others wrote about the Hotel as a Nightmare, with dirty rooms , bad customer's care and so on.....

My personal experience is very good.
    It's true , the quality of the services are not incredible but the room was clean and it faced the cremlin..... Only that view was worth every single €uro I spent.

Unique Quality: As Told above my room faced the Kremlin and the St. Basil Cathedral..... where , in the world , u can hope for a view such that I had for 60€ per night ?
    How much would it cost a view on Piazza di Spagna in Rome.... I can't even imagine....

Inside the Hotel there are several restaurant , pub and casinò, but I don't suggest to eat there because of very high prices.... just walk out and within a 2 Kilometers' range U'll find plenty of restaurants from the cheap McDonald or Sbarro to the most exclusive ones.

In Rossija there are also some shops , a post Office, and a barber, but the same considerations for the restaurants apply.

Directions: Kitaj Gorod, next to the omonymous Underground station, 2 minutes walking from the Red Square

• Canadienne's Profile Photo

Hotel Rossiya

I originally booked us into the Rossiya Hotel, then changed the reservation based on a friend's advice. This may be my hotel of choice next time though ~ it's almost as convenient as the Hotel Moskva and in the same price range (about $5-10 less for a renovated room).

The twelve-story building with a 20+ story tower was built in the 60s to accomodate the biannual visit of the Supreme Soviet.

Unique Quality: This is one of the largest hotels in the world, with over 5000 beds. . .and a reputation for guests of the creepy-crawly kind.

Directions: 6-7 minutes from Red Square & the Kremlin.

• MrRandMcnally's Profile Photo

At least the view is great

A stones throw from Red Square The Russia Hotel is proported to be the largest hotel in the world. It is massive, though you can't easily explore it because the floors are patroled, controled by "floor mothers".

The rooms are small, and not particularly clean. It supposedly draws from the same water source as the Kremlin and the water is supposed to be safe to drink but I don't know that I would test it. It didn't look particularly clean.

Unique Quality: The best part of the hotel is the view. If you are lucky enough to be on the Red Square side you will have one of the best windows in town with St. Basils and The Kremlin.
    I had a window on the North side of the building and could not see Red Square but I did overlook a nice little chapel.

I've heard that its been renovated since I was there. You pay extra for the Kremlin view.

Directions: Kitay-Gorod Metro stop.
    Start at Red Square and head towards the River. Its on the left ans hard to miss.

• kris-t's Profile Photo

Hotel Rossija - does not exsist any longer

THIS HOTEL IS CLOSED

The Rossija Hotel is the biggest hotel in Europe! It is located in the very heart of the Russian capital, Moscow. The hotel commands a fine view of the panorama of the ancient and modern city which is seen from the four sides of the hotel: the Kremlin and the Red Square, numerous architectural monuments and the embankment of the Moskva river. Important government and administrative buildings, sightseeing places known all over the world, museums, theaters, shopping centers, entertainment centers, restaurants and casinos are in closes proximity to the hotel. The hotel is only three minutes walk from the Kitay Gorod metro station from where you can quickly travel to any place in the city you wish.

Unique Quality: This hotel has 2,876 rooms with necessary amenities: bath, TV set, phone (local and international).

Now moscow's goverment is going to destroy this hotel. For best.

Directions: Nearest Metro Station: Kitay Gorod - 3 minutes walking distance.

• vichatherly's Profile Photo

Enormous Hotel just off Red Square

We stayed at the hotel Rossiya. An enormous place just off Red Square. Champagne was cheap although the food was terrible. The staff were friendly and tried to sell you anything under the sun.

• floss1's Profile Photo

Rossiya Hotel

US$80 for a view of the Kremlin. It is worth it, it is an amazing view.

Unique Quality: The location. It was the biggest hotel in the world. It has 3100 rooms, 5000 beds (Las Vegas now has a bigger one). To be honest I found the staff very rude. When using any of the cafes there be sure to ask the price before you order anything as they will try to rip you off. It has its own post office, bar, and lots of cafes. My first night there, I had a phone call at 1am asking if I wanted a girl for the night. I said no thanks, I have my wife. This happened on 4 different occasions. Tip, let your wife or girlfriend pick up the phone, they will just hang up.

Directions: ulitsa Varvarka 6. Off the Red Square. Opposition the Kremlin. You cannot miss this enormous building.

• Anya_D's Profile Photo

The biggest hotel in the world

Hotel Rossija, opposite the Kremlin, was once famous as the biggest hotel in the world. It can accomodate around 3000 guests. It is very convenientely located, but as for the quality of the rooms, there are at least two types of them: 'renovated', and 'usual'. I strongly recommend you take renovated ones.

Unique Quality: Be prepared for a kind of 'soviet' attitude. This is a part of experience. The infrastructure is so old-minded, and the mentality of the managers is not to change overnight. Be prepared for it all, but do not take it to the heart. Read also tips by floss1, who stayed there, it will give you more idea of whether to go there or find another hotel.

Directions: Near the Red square, metro stations Okhotny riad, Teatralnaya, Ploshad Revolutsii

• SeaBreezeUSA's Profile Photo

I stayed at the Hotel Rossiya...

I stayed at the Hotel Rossiya in Downtown Moscow, just outside the Kremlin and Red Square. This is the biggest hotel in Moscow with 3200 rooms....WOW it was big. I never did find the laundry. Good thing I brought more clothes than I needed. The only problem I had, was checking into the hotel. No one spoke any English. But, once I checked in, I had no problems. Rtours, which is located in the hotel, provided excellent help and service. They went out of their way to make sure my stay was enjoyable. This hotel is in a great location to see all the sites.
    If you go through Rtours, who are located in the hotel, you will get a better rate. Mine was $80.00 USD per night. Rtours phone number is 7-095-232-41-70 or email: rtours@glasnet.ru They can also help with the confirmation information required for a visa.

Unique Quality: The price was great. I had a big room for about $80.00 US, with a view looking into Red Square and St Basil. There are many restaurants in this hotel, with great food at a resonable price. The staff had my stay very enjoyable. My room had a refrigerator, and plenty of room to relax.

Directions: Varvarka Str. 6, Moscow Russia 103495