Old Buildings of Moscow University
Michail Lomonosov's monument is in the front of Journalistic Department of Moscow University. He was a famous Russian scientist, poet and artist (Russian Da Vinchi), the founder of the 1st Moscow University (1775), and that's why he is sitting or standing close to many University buildings.
Pavel Tretiakov, riche marchand et fabricant de textile, commença à acheter des oeuvres d'artistes russes en 1856 et s'intéressa aux Ambulants.
Sa collection pris de l'importance, il décida d'agrandir son hôtel particulier et d'en faire un musée.
En 1892, il fit don de son musée privé d'art russe à la ville de Moscou et dirigea la galerie pendant les 6 dernières années de sa vie. Son frère, Sergueï, légua également un certain nombre d'œuvres et de nombreuses collections privées furent nationalisées par le régime soviétique.
C'est actuellement la plus grande collection d'art russe du monde. L'étonnante façade, réalisée d'après les dessins de l'artiste Victor Vasnetsov, est ornée en son centre d'un bas-relief représentant Saint-Georges et le dragon. Une aile supplémentaire fut ajoutée à la galerie en 1930.
Pavel Tretiakov, rich merchant and manufacturer of textile, began to buy Russian artist works in 1856 and were interested in the Itinerant.
His collection took the importance, it decided to enlarge his particular hotel and to make a museum of it.
In 1892, he made grant of his private museum of Russian art in the city of Moscow and directed the gallery during the last 6 years of his life. His brother, Sergueï, also bequeathed a certain number of works and numerous private collections were nationalized by the soviet regime.
It is currently the biggest collection of Russian art of the world. The astonish facade, achieved according to the drawings of artist Victor Vasnetsov, is decorated in its center of a bas-relief representing Saint - Georges and the dragon. A supplementary wing was added to the gallery in 1930.
I think the people of Moscow call this the Bol. Moskvoretskiy Bridge. Photos simply don't do justice to the beauty of this entire area. You gotta see it for yourself to believe. Yes, even at night, this place looks kind of magical. :-))
More info to come....
The Garden Ring, also known as the "B" Ring is a circular avenue in the centre of Moscow.
Historically Moscow was surrounded by a series of fortifications one of which was Zemlyanoi Val. After the 1812 Moscow Fire the city began rapidly expanding beyond it and the Val was razed and the moat around it filled up. The space between buildings was neatly rearranged into a pleasant avenue consisting of cobblestoned roads and sidewalks no wider than 25 metres and public gardens (hence the name) and boulevards taking place in the open space. In the 1870s, a monorail for horsecars called konka (êîíêà) was installed, and later replaced by a tram in 1908. This was known as the "B" route (or a "bug" (áóêàøêà) in popular language). At the turn of the 20th century, the avenue saw intensive construction of multistorey commercial, administrative, and residential buildings. Many streets and squares of the Garden Ring did not escape heavy street fighting in the unrests of 1905 and 1917 revolutions. In the 1930s, coinciding with Lazar Kaganovich's Moscow redevelopment plan the Garden Ring was widened (at the expense of public gardens). In 1936-1937, trolleys replaced the dismantled tram lines. During the war solid fortifications were installed in some parts of the Garden Ring. The ring also saw the infamous parade of German Prisoners in 1944. In 1948-1954, three out of seven skyscrapers were erected on the Garden Ring. In the early 1950, the Koltsevaya Line of the Moscow Metro was put in operation, with southern circumference following the Garden Ring. Starting from the 1960s the avenue was gradually transformed into a highway with tunnels, overpasses, and pedestrian subways replacing streetlights. Currently plans exist to complete the transformation and install a solid barrier in the centre dividing the direction of traffic.
Maslenitsa, Shrovetide, the merriest, the revelriest holiday, have been celebrated in Russia everywhere.
Surely, "fair lady Shrovetide" was awaited for with a great excitement. In many provinces the proper meeting & holding of the whole Pancake Week was arranged before long. Pancake (or Cheese) Week - the last of preparatory weeks, after which the austere Lent comes for seven weeks. On the Cheese Week there were allowed eggs, milk & butter (-maslo-, from which the week received its name Maslenitsa). Maslenitsa lasted for 8 days. All 8 days were crammed full with festival business, rites, traditional games & entertainments - almost unceasing feasting.
According to the custom pancakes Russian consider as a symbol of remembrance of the dead. Thus first pancake baked on Pancake Week was meant for the gone ones, it was put on the dormer window pane "for parents- spirits". In some villages first pancake was given to the paupers so that they prayed for all diseased.
In the first day of the Shrovetide children went around the whole village, congratulating with the coming of Maslenitsa & asking for pancakes. After the dinner the festival tobogganing began. On Sunday, also called "forgiven day", people asked each other to forgive them for all done in a year. Pacifying with each other, they kissed thrice & thus cleared their souls preparing them to 49-days Lent which was beginning on Monday.
In Moscow until the end of XVIII Shrovetide festivity was held on Moskva-river & on Neglinnaya from Voskresenskiye to Troitskiye Gates. Only in Moscow was especially celebrated "Cathedral Sunday", first Sunday of the Lent. There were singing birds & dogs trade, & also an exhibition of speaking starlings & smart dogs. After that the merriment faded away, the 7-weeks long period of austerity, piety & abstention was coming, resolving with Great Divine Passover.