Moscow Style Hostel

johngayton's Profile Photo

Unbeatable Location For The Price

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on November 15, 2014

First let me start by saying that I'm not a hostel person and so my minor criticisms of this one are for that reason only.

I'd booked this on the basis of price and location and the fact that it had a private room. The rate included breakfast which was a plus.

Having booked through www.booking.com I then contacted the hostel directly to arrange a visa invitation. This turned out to be no problem and the invitation also covered my stay in St Petersburg with a different hotel. Louisa, the manager, was exceptionally helpful in making sure that the paperwork was correct. She also provided me with details on exactly where the hostel was and how to access the building - it involved a couple of keypad-operated gates.

I did have a little hiccup when I arrived, but that was down to me getting the wrong archway and once a friendly concierge had pointed me to the correct one the instructions were easy to follow.

Louisa turned out to be a rather gorgeous young lady and spoke pretty much perfect English. A minor niggle was that it turned out they didn't accept credit/debit card payment, despite the fact that they advertise as so-doing. But she was quite happy to check me in and let me pay the following day. This caused me a slight problem since my debit card would only allow me to withdraw 7,500 roubles a day from the ATM and so meant that I needed to use most of my daily cash withdrawals for the first two days to pay the 12,100 rouble bill for my four nights.

Fortunately my first full day wasn't planned to be an expensive one and I discovered a very friendly little "Produkti" (convenience store) almost next-door where a litre of decent beer was a mere 85 roubles.

The private room turned out to be spacious and elegantly-furnished. The free Wi-Fi worked perfectly and the serve yourself coffee and tea making facility in the communal kitchen was a bonus. Unfortunately the rest of the communal facilities were a tad too intimate for my liking. Although my room was private its frosted glass door opened directly into the sitting room. The toilet and shower rooms were also shared and, to my mind, inadequate for the number of people staying - I think the main dorm room slept 12.

The advertised breakfast was very basic - boiled eggs and cereal were the first day offering. However Louisa did make a point of providing pancakes on my subsequent days and so that was a major saving grace.

Unique Quality: Despite my niggles the two things which I was impressed with were the location - literally minutes from the Kremlin and the Tverskaya Metro station - and the genuine friendliness, and helpfulness of Louisa, the manager.

It's not a place that I'll stay again but if you are a hostel person then it's definitely one to consider.

Directions: On the main road between the Tverskaya/Pushkinskaya Metro and the Kremlin.

Nearby Moscow Style Hostel

5 Photos of Moscow Style Hostel

View Professional Photos

Moscow Travel Forum

Need advice about Moscow, Russia? Visit the Travel Forum for Moscow and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Moscow hotel reviews

Toilet Paper/Medicine
What to Pack
Private Guided Tour with a driver
Things to Do
Use Moscow Transporter instead of taxi!
Tourist Traps