Orekhovo Hotel Moscow

Satisfaction Average

More about Moscow

near The Armoury Chamber, Moscownear The Armoury Chamber, Moscow

Central Museum of the 2ndWWCentral Museum of the 2ndWW

Copy of my visa to Russia (2005)Copy of my visa to Russia (2005)

Metro at VykhinoMetro at Vykhino

Staying at IZMAILOVO VEGA HOTEL

by STRONGBREW

Is there shopping near the IZMAILOVO VEGA HOTEL, I am traveling from Australia going from our hot summer the Russia's cold winter - I need to buy warmer outer clothing on the day of my arrival - is there shopping close by. Ot should I purchase clothing before I travel.

by GrumpyDiver

If you are going in the winter, how do you think you are going to get from the airport to wherever you are planning to shop without freezing? Bring winter clothes regardless and buy more if what you bring along isn't working out for you.

by stevemt

If it is the hotel complex I am thinking of, there is an open air market well within walking distance that you can buy anything at. Many Moscow people shop there.

by stevemt

I agree with the previous poster though, winter in Russia is NOTHING LIKE winter in aussie. Take winter clothing with you.

by STRONGBREW

Thanks Stevemt, Yes I will be taking the heaviest winter clothing I have, but I am well aware this just will not cut it in a Moscow winter - so will need the real deal as soon as I can get it.

by stevemt

You will need to go to the airport in Aus wearing or carrying your siberian winter gear so you can get off the plane in Russia wearing it

by bugulma

maybe the useful thing would be to check the weather in Moscow forecast before your departure. then you will be sure what to get with you. but it is better in my opinion to have warm cloths with you (Moscow is not cheap city and many Russians do shopping abroad).
About Izmailovo - not sure, but the biggest shopping malls in the city central area I got shopping are Evropeisky on Kievskaya metro station and Metropolis on Voikovskaya station. I am sure you'll find there the winter cloths. The most centrally located shops are ZUM and GUM.

Travel Tips for Moscow

Getting Money

by baldurontour

I've always been one of those who prefer „Plastic Money“ and therefore I travel with minimal cash or T-Cheques.

Here is my tip on getting Money on a cheap and safe way in Moscow...

During my stay I picked up cash at the CitiBank ATM on Tverskaya Street. If you have a Bank Card from CitiBank you can withdraw Money in Rubles or USD without any fees based on daily rates.

There is no easier way to get money.

PS - I don't work for CitiBank, I am just a satisfied customer:-)

The Kremlin - The Kutafiya Tower

by kris-t

t is the only tower outside the Kremlin walls survived till nowadays. Such watchtowers protected the bridges that led to the fortress.
It was erected in 1516 by architect Aleviz Fryasin of Milan. The short tower (18 m) encircled by a moat and a river, it had the only gate which was firmly shut in cases of danger.

The Kutafiya Tower was roofless and consisted of two levels. There were loopholes on the tower's top.

In 1685, it was decorated with a filigree top. The drawbridges across the moat led to the side Gate. Up till now one can see chinks for the lifting machine's chains at the side Gate. The tower was named after the Old Russian word "kut" meaning "shelter, corner, "peninsula".

Its present-day height is 13,5 m.

Teatralnaya Ploshchad

by Canadienne

The present form of this square, in front of the Bolshoi Theatre, took shape in the 1820s. It originally served as a military parade ground.

Although the Bolshoi is the best-known of its theatres, the square is also bordered by the Malyy (Small) Theatre and the Russian Academic Youth Theatre to the west. The Operetta Theatre is also nearby. Teatralnaya Ploshchad was yet another of the lovely public spaces that we came to adore. We enjoyed taking a couple of breaks here, with ice cream or a pop, during our lengthy walks.

St.Peter and St.Pavel Church

by bugulma

Church was built in 1623. in the middle of XVIII century the bells were constructed which exist nowadays. Church wasn't closed in Soviet times and even were reconstructed in 1944-1947. Interior is great: icons and ceilings pictures are wonderful. The church is situated not far from Yauza Gates Square.

Russian Food Part I

by dlandt

Russian food might not be known for being spicy, but that doesn't mean its not good. The plates they serve up are hearty dishes of meat and potatoes. What you see in the picture is a dish of pork cutlets with cream sauce, and in the background is a kind of fried pork. Condiments like the butter you see here, are usually extra, but not much, like five cents or so. Russians serve up large portions, though not quite American sized. You will not normally walk away from a Russian table feeling unsatisfied.

Comments