Peter 1 Hotel

Central Museum of the 2ndWWCentral Museum of the 2ndWW

In Your Pocket - MoscowIn Your Pocket - Moscow

Metro at Vorobyovry GoryMetro at Vorobyovry Gory

by Bikingbabe

I am flying from St Petersburg arriving 8:35 am to Sheremetyevo terminal D3. Its an Aeroflot flight SU 858. I then leave on flight SU 315 at terminal F2 at 10:05 am going to NYC.

Questions: How do I transfer between terminals? Will I have to physically retrieve my bags from the St. Pete flight and carry bags to international flight? Do I have enough transfer time? Transfer time is just about 1 1/2 hours if everything is on time!

Re: Transfer at Sheremetyevo Airport from D3 (St. Pete flight in) to F2 (flight out NYC)

by nhoolb

Look here:

where it is explained in detail and says:

>>>> Arrival by a domestic flight to Sheremetyevo-D(3) and departure by an international flight from Sheremetyevo-F(2). Minimum connection time: 1 hour 30 minutes. (..........) <<<<<<

by bugulma

between terminals D and F there is the connection tonnel (see signs "to Terminal F and trains").
well, transfer time in 1.5 hours sounds good. about bags - ask Aeroflot service.

by melek02

I just called to Aeroflot for you and they said you will have to collect your luggage in Moscow and transfer it to NYC flight by yourself as there is special baggage control on all USA flights.

It takes about 10 min walk between D and F but still such a short connection is risky as it can be delay with luggage in D and registration for NYC flight will finish 40 min before departure time.

There are a lot of flights from St'Peterburg to Moscow and I would recommend you to take longer connection.

Travel Tips for Moscow

For all your needs in Moscow

by brazwhazz

If you are a foreigner visiting Moscow for the first time and you need help for anything, check out the following website: http://www.russiangirlfriday.com/.

Russian Girl Friday, aka Olesya, offers a wide range of services for travellers. In anticipation of our train travels in Russia, we contacted Olesya to have her buy our train tickets (which can be a confusing and frustrating experience for first-time tourists to Russia) to Petrozavodsk, Kem' and Saint-Petersburg.

Olesya was very professional and always quick to respond: for every train trip our journey, she gave us all possible train schedules and ticket prices. When we had made our choices, we had to take a leap of faith, as payment for the tickets had to be sent by cash transfer (Western Union). While it is never recommended to send cash payments to people you don't know, we can personally vouch that Olesya is trustworthy.

Once we were in Moscow, we called Olesya, who arranged for us to meet with her brother in front of our apartment building to receive our tickets. Having her phone number with us was also reassuring, since we knew we had someone to call if something went wrong or if we needed anything else.

Cathedral of Christ the Saviour

by xaver

After I visited this cathedral, I wnt back home and asked to the owner of the flat where I rented a room, which was its name.She said: wait a minute and came back with a huge book about that cathedral history and, as the book was in cyrillic I was really afraid she could try to read to me all the story.
Fortunatly she used the book only to show me the relevant photos and told me a summery of the storyThe first cathedral of Christ the saviour was built to celebrate the vicory against Napoleon betwen 1839 and 1883. Then it was destroyed by Stalin who wanted to build at its place a “palace of Soviet” 315 meters high with a statue of Lenin 100 meters high, but this project was never realised as they needed the metals to build new weapons for the war.So years later here was built the biggest swimming pool of the world untill when the majour of moscow decided to rebuild the church that finally was finished in 1997, it’s not made by real gold like the first one(even if it costed 350 milion dollars) but it’s still worth a visit. It’s opened every day since 10 to 17. I can say what I do not miss: the looong lines to enter also this cathedral cause of the slow metal detector controls.

Arkhangelsky Cathedral's Iconostasis

by bugulma

Iconostasis was made in 1679-1681 in Fedor Alexeevich Tsar times. Golden gates in the middle of Iconostasis is named "Tsar Gates", you can see it in the picture. To the right of the gates there is the main icaon of the Cathedral, which shows the saint deeds of Mikhail Archangel and it was painted in 1399 in honour of the victory in Kulikovskaya battle (against Tatars).

The Moscow triumphal arch

by kris-t

The Moscow triumphal arch, erected in wood in 1814 and in marble in 1827 to a design by Osip Bove. In 1966 the decision was made about reconstruction of the Triumphal Arch at a new location. It was relocated and reconstructed on Poklonnaya Gora in 1968.

The base of the monument is formed by a single-spanned arch with six pairs of 12-meter-high cast-iron pillars, arranged around two arched supports. It's the most grandiose Moscow monument in honor of the victories of Russian people in the Patriotic war of 1812 .

Honey fair

by bugulma

Every September a honey fair takes a place in Kolomenskoye park. There is a crowd of people there in this time, buying honey, it seems for the whole year. Some of people come to buy honey a bit, then sit down on the benches in the park and look around, eating the honey. There are a lot of sorts of honey and it's a chance to taste all of them.

Comments