Tverskaya Street Luxury Apartments

Red Square: Lobnoe MestoRed Square: Lobnoe Mesto

Switch engine for Moscow Avrora trainSwitch engine for Moscow Avrora train

Visiting Moscow on August 1st for a week, then St. Petersburg for a week

by Jamilammar

I'm goin to Moscow August 1st with my mom. She was invited to an art show in Moscow to show some of her paintings. I'm really excited about the trip but I just don't wanna get stuck with my mom the whole time haha. I am 26/M/California. I don't plan on partying the whole time but I really want to check out the nightclubs in Moscow one or two nights while I'm there. I'm just looking for friendly people to go out with a night or two. I just don't think it would be smart or safe for me to go alone. Hopefully someone is up for going out, or at least maybe someone could point me in the right direction? Hope to hear from ANYONE!

by nomad7890

Hello Jamil, welcome to VT!

May want to check the State Department and VT's "warnings and dangers" regarding Moscow before you go.

Don't take what I'm about to say in a bad way, but maybe someone should talk your mom out of taking you ;=)

We took our son, then about your age to London and Prague, and my husband and I did get pretty stressed out at his little outing. He got wayyy lost in London - and lost all his money in Prague.

he he he ... sometimes when we get older roles reverse and "kids" can be the "party poopers" ;=)

by Quasimodo711

Try to hook up with a russian girl over the internet before you go,, go to a russian dating site and talk to some of the girls that live in Moscow,, then you will have someone to go with. Thats how I did it. Make sure you meet them in a public place first though. Also familiarize yourself with the city before you go, such as looking at a site like airportmoscow.com, its an english site that gives a bit of info about Moscow places of interest.

by nomad7890

I think the first part of hooking up with someone over the internet is exactly what should be avoided, this is where you hear all the horror stories.

Instead, find out the hotel where your mother will be staying and try to contact the concierge (I did when I was doing my research although I have not gone to Russia yet, but have quite a bit of research done).

The concierge should provide the most reliable contacts. Not sure about a person to go out, but you could request a guide, perhaps you could even request a female guide - that would be far better. ;=)

by ElenaKKKK

I guess you'd better check the sources and forums of http://www.expat.ru/ (virtual community of English speaking expats in Moscow)

by jacetheace

When I’m in the same boat, I always head for a bar with plenty of English speakers. You’ll be fine heading out on your own, just get your bearings and don’t leave your drink unattended,(just like any city).

Find a bar from this list, within walking distance of your hotel -

by globetrott

Forget about the "advises" of Quasimodo711
he obviously joined VT just for this strange advice, that might get you into all sorts of troubles !
---
1) Do you know anything of the russian alphabet ?
you better learn the alphabet, otherwise you are really completely lost in Russia
2) Nightlife could be really expensive in Russia, much more expensive than in the States !
So you need someone reliable to come with you, maybe you post a VT-meeting and invite a VT-er to come with you to a reasonable place that he/she would know.

by Muscovite

Ask expats.

Muscovites have no time for nightclubs, they work.

Love it Alla!

... needless to say those who are in nightclubs to chat with tourists will be of questionable intentions and may even come from other parts.

Travel Tips for Moscow

Underground art

by SirRichard

And I don't mean any modern artistic tendence, but the real masterpieces you can find in some of the oldest subway stations in Moscow. It was considered the best way to take art to the streets, to the people, and I really agree.
These are the best:
- Komsomolskaia
- Kievskaia
- Krasnie Varota
- Kirovskaia
- Dzerkinskaia
But there are a lot to visit, look at any tourist guide book. More info at:

Yes where ever you go, you can buy

by suvaa003

Yes where ever you go you can buy these, every sice and quality and prices.
In M you can buy what ever you want, from all desing stuff to all kind of junk and what is between, for all the money you have.
If you shop around you can find nice gems for not to much money, but it is great to go to GUM and see all the nice fur coats, and all the expencive stuff. be aware thoug, the stuff you can buy here, the averadge russian can not afford. And lots of street kids, could have a nice life if even half the money spend on one item is been given to hem or her.

First snow in Moscow

by Pablos_new

Usually snow is not melting starting from beg. of November. But this year it was late for 2-3 weeks.

Today (Nov 20, 2004) everything is covered with thick layer of snow and it is -8'C. Nice Moscow winter came. On photo: Gorky Park enbankment view from pedestrian brigde across Moskva Riva

Back in the USSR

by Canadienne

Security was ultra-tight for Paul McCartney's Moscow concert. . .beginning in the late afternoon of the concert day, police and heavily armed guards starting arming the area all around Red Square.

But, when it comes to Paul McCartney, there seemed to be very little that would keep these crowds away. The undergound passages were tightly controlled, so people decided to risk the police ~ and the traffic on this busy road~ by running across below us.

We had been stopped in the underground and asked to show tickets to get through to the other side. When I explained we were staying at the Hotel Moskva, we were shunted aside and had to push our way back to the guards and argue in order to get through. It was a pretty close call. . .and once we got across, we stayed in for the evening.

Superstitions ;))

by Lalique

Russians are, generally speaking, rather superstitious. It is unlikely that people will perform strange rituals if you break one, but I'll list a few superstitions in the hope that awkward situations can be avoided.
 It is considered bad luck to shake hands, kiss, or pass something through a doorway.
 If a woman carrying empty buckets crosses your path, it's bad luck. Full buckets denote good luck.
 Unmarried women who sit at the corner of a table will not marry for seven years.
 Even numbers of flowers are reserved for placing on graves, so give the living an odd number - this one is very important!!!! and not considered as superstition.
 Precipitation is a good luck sign on a day of departure. Just before departing on any journey, you and the people you are leaving behind should briefly sit down together.
 (For kids) If you step on someone's foot, you should let them step on yours in return (hopefully the person is not wearing cleats).
 (For kids) If you are standing in between two people who have the same first name, make a wish and spin around on your left leg three times for the wish to come true.

Comments