Art-hotel Trezzini

love itlove it

Mars FieldMars Field

St Petersburg, RussiaSt Petersburg, Russia

Fontanka RiverFontanka River

Applying for a tourist visa

by lifeisatrip

Hello there! I have started the process to obtain a Russian tourist visa. One site requires passport, passport picture, 2 copies of the application form and visa support letter. Then I went to a Russian consulate website and found an additional requirement- proof of insurance. First of all, I can't figure out if it is health or life insurance (it's in German). Second, my insurance company is not listed on the "accepted insurance companies".

Can anyone out there tell me if the consulate website has not been updated and that proof of insurance is no longer a requirement. Can I get a tourist visa without the proof of insurance?

Thanks,

by travelmad478

It's health insurance. I am assuming that you are a US citizen. The application form asks in question #17: "Do you have а medical insurance policy valid in Russia (please specify)?" When I fill out my Russian visa forms, I just write "yes" and state the name of the insurance company. No one has ever asked for anything beyond that. (I have been to Russia numerous times in the last ten years.)

by lifeisatrip

Yes, indeed, I am a US citizen. So even if my insurance company is not listed on the approved insurance companies on the consulate's list, I can write it in on the application form anyway and I don't need to show proof?

Thanks for your help.

by travelmad478

Yes, I really wouldn't worry about it.

by lifeisatrip

I feel much better now. I sweating it there for a while since we had already bought our plane tickets.

Thanks again.

by ROCKARIA

I just came from Moscow & St Petersburg last week and the consulate did not ask
for any specific insuriance. What i did was i wrote the name of insuriance & policy Number and the Visa was issued.The above answers are also quite correct..
No need to worry and enjoy S P

Travel Tips for Saint Petersburg

Go to the Hermitage. As the...

by floss1

Go to the Hermitage. As the winter palace, the building itself is magnificent. The interior is very impressive, beautifully decorated walls and ceilings. But as well as the building is the hoards of art work including a good collection of Impressionists and Dutch masters. You can easily spend the whole day there.

Read the names of shops you...

by barcodex

Read the names of shops you see around (well, some understanding of Russian is needed). Those reflect the times, when shops were dedicated to one concrete kind of goods to be sold. Two neighbour shops, called 'Linoleum' and 'Fresh eggs', respectively.

Groupthink

by Canadienne

Our experience as solo travelers in St. Petersburg (and Moscow) was that we were among the minority ~ we saw many tour groups (Russian, Italian, Spanish, were prominent), but ran into few individuals.

Favouritism was definitely shown to groups ~ if a group came into a room, we were sometimes ushered out (this happened about three or four times at different locations). Despite this, being on our own had distinct advantages ~ your time and schedule is your own and you have better chance to interact with people outside your group. Besides. . .who really needs 15 other people to admire a painting. . . :-)

Sannaya Square/ Sennaya Ploschad

by jeoren

This square is a rather busy and interesting square. Escape from the crowd of Nevsky Prospekt and walk to this square. You can eat at several restaurants or visit the Technical Museum at the corner of the square.

Kamennoostrovsky Castle

by bugulma

On Kamennyi Island you can see Kamennoostrovsky Palace, the country house of Pavel I. The building was built in 1776-1784. It is the place where the last Polish king Stanislav August Ponyatovsky lived while in 1797-1801. Then it became the residence of Elena Pavlovna, the sister of Aleksander I, the Russian Emperor. Her guest here often was the famous Russian poet Aleksander Pushkin.

Comments