14 Malaya Morskaya Street, St. Petersburg, North-West Russia, Russia

Hotels.com Booking.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• rscowboy's Profile Photo

Modern and economical

This hotel was served up as a package through Travelocity. Booked alone, it may be a bit spendier. However, my booking did not include the breakfast which was worth it because the one time I had it (at $US25) it was hardly worth it.

Room was nice, bed was comfortable. On-site they had an espresso bar which also served drinks as well as "SkyBar", a 6th floor room which, if the weather had been nice, might have provided a nice view of the city.

I used the laundry service once and while shirts came back clean and pressed, they had broken the sleeve buttons on one of them.

I would recommend this hotel primarily because it is close to the primary attractions as well as Nevsky.

Unique Quality: All front desk and concierge staff spoke excellent English.

• konejos's Profile Photo

Excellent location and hotel

I stayed in October 2007.
    The hotel is in an excellent location, only a couple short blocks to Nevskiy Prospekt, the main street and within easy walking distance of the Hermitage.
    The rooms are nice and the front desk very friendly if you give them a chance.

Unique Quality: The room had a safe and mini bar. My room had a good shower.
    The hotel has a swimming pool and other facilities.
    The area had a very safe feel. On the main street was a Wells Fargo Bank where you could change US $. The hotel also had a very good, friendly concierge who showed me how to ride the subway and made taxi arrangements for transportation to the train station.
    In the lobby they had nice, large umbrellas which you could borrow.
    The breakfast was good.

Directions: The hotel is a short distance from a big cathedral and the main street, which is a pleasant walk. Turn right out of the hotel 2 short blocks and turn right to Nevskiy Prospekt, the main street which is mostly to the right and close to the Hermitage.

• sennaya's Profile Photo

Petro Palace Hotel- closest to Hermitage

Another new 4- star hotel in the center with 194 rooms.
    New, modern renovation in a beautiful old facade, but somehow not inviting to visit.

It is the closest to Palace Square, but others, the Astoria, Angleterre, Renaissance are only one block further and perhaps more pleasant.

The staff was non-engaging, we never got greeting coming or going and ended up going elsewhere after 5 minutes.
    Unless you get a super deal it would be more friendly in other 4-star hotels.

Unique Quality: The Sky Bar has been touted as having the best view in St. Petersburg.
    The sky bar is a modern renovation, but the view is the ugly sides of unrenovated buildings. You can see the needle of the Admiralty over the top, but really it is not the best view. Try the Renaissance Hotel for better views from their terrace.

Directions: One block off Nevsky

• virtualnick's Profile Photo

Problems at Petro Palace Hotel

The Petro Palace Hotel is located few hundred meters from the Hermitage. Except for this there are several bad points:
    - few people at the reception speak English
    - the breakfast is poor in quality and quantity
    - they cheat us for the transfer to the airport, we booked, paid and waited for a limousine, but an old dirty taxi brought us to the airport. They were lucky because we were late to get the flight in time, so we hadn't any time to argue with them.

Unique Quality: None

• virtualnick's Profile Photo

Stay at Saint Petersburg - Russia

Positive aspects:
    1) The hotel is situated in the historical center of Saint Petersburg

Negative aspects:
    1) Only few people speak English
    2) The breakfast is poor (quantity) and awful (quality)
    3) The "swimming pool" is a bath
    4) The Petro Palace Hotel Concierge Service cheat me for the taxi service to the airport:
    I booked and paid for a Passat Volkswagen Hotel Car, but, when I had to leave the hotel, the told me that this car wasn't available, so they ask me more money for a luxury car. I refused their "offer" and they assigned me an old and dirty Russian taxi!!!

I would have been able to a taxi to reach the airport, saving time and above all money!!!
    I suppose that they also cheated the taxi driver, because, when I've been sat in the car, the taximeter started; I have had to explain to the taxi driver that I had already paid to the Hotel Concierge Service!

Directions: Historical center

More about Petro Palace Hotel

Superb Location

by TripAdvisor Member Alison-Ireland

Stayed 3 nights in August 2006. Excellent hotel. Russian visa documents processed speedily by e-mail. Pleasant lobby (check out fresh water fish tank with living coral) and staff. Double room spacious and good value. Breakfast buffet a little expensive at 14 euros. The hotel is located less than 10 mins walk from the Hermitage Museum and surrounding attractions. Make time for boat trip, from front of Hermitage, out to Peterhof Palace - a real gem not to be missed. Ensure you get hold of free travel guide book, as hotel concierge seems to push guided tours only. You don't need them with a good book. I would thoroughly recommend the Petro Palace as a base to explore the culture of this fabulous city.

Excellent choice

by TripAdvisor Member worldtraveler28006

I've been a TripAdvisor user for two years now and I always read biased reviews from people paying US$100 a night and expecting the Four Seasons, I try to make my reviews down to earth.
The Petro Palace is a great hotel. The staff is terrific, helpful and young. Location is very centric, you can walk to all tourist locations and neighborhood is nice (near the iconic Astoria).
My room was spotless, with all needed ammenities (tv, phone, bath supplies, towels, etc.). Breakfast was included and the buffet is pretty nice.
Don't go here if you're expecting Ritz Carlton luxory nor Four Seasons pampering, if you're below that line: go ahead.
A special note and thanks: we witnessed Julia's (the new concierge) first day and she was particularly helpful with a great attitude eventhough she was completely swamped with requests from other guests. She will become a Ritz-quality concierge in no time.

Tourist but not business hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Itlan

Due to the hotel scarcity situation in September, my company has had me hotel hopping in St. Pete. My first stay at the Petro was Sept. 5-7. The Internet was down and did not return until late in the evening on day 2. There is no wireless Internet at the hotel and you are unable to access a VPN network, or Yahoo Messenger. It's straight web access only and unreliable.

The rooms are clean. I was cold in my room though and the thermostat did not go above 72. I like to have heat so I was not happy. If you want a colder room, you won't mind.

You have to ask for an iron when you check in but the room did have an ironing board in it.

The coffee is terrible but there is a breakfast buffet that can get your day started.

It's Sept. 9 and I've returned for my second stay. My reservation was lost and had me checking in on the 14th. Of our party of 7, all the reservations were incorrect. Confirm and reconfirm if you stay here.

Two Stars Too Many

by TripAdvisor Member CWN

Stayed at the hotel Sept. 12-17, 2006. Had a room on the 7th floor. The location is wonderful and the breakfast which was included with the room was adequate if you could ever get any coffee or tea. The rest was buffet style but the staff poured the coffee and tea and they seemed ill trained. In addition to the beverage problem, they often overlooked the fact that bowls or glasses put out for cereal, fruit, juice &c. had run out or that while the glasses were there, the juice wasn't.
The real problems with the hotel lie elsewhere. The rooms come with bottled water on day one. After that, you must replace your own. Our room was hot (it never got below 24°C) even with the A/C on full unless the window was open and then you got numerous mosquitos (no screen). The hotel furnishes a small bar of soap (15gm) which the maids may remember to replace or supplement after you have used it. (They will give you another if you chase them down and they may remember to replace other used items.) Bring your own washcloth, the hotel doesn't furnish them. The hot water often fails on the 7th floor but, according to other guests, apparently not on lower floors. The smoke alarm in our room did not work (perhaps it wasn't conected). Security is lax. The desk will give you a guest's room number if you want to telephone them rather than connect you. There is a TV in the room which gets multiple channels including BBC and Euro but not CNN. The room came with a ironing board but no iron.
Overall, the staff needs training. They seem ready to run you over with carts if you don't move quickly enough and at the desk will help you only if you ask the right question or it is convenient. Examples: when we asked if they had a map, they said no but did not suggest we check with the concierege whose desk is well hidden and when change was requested, they said they could not give it. But the location is great.

excellant hotel

by TripAdvisor Member ocala

we had a wonderful experience staying at this hotel. The rooms were very large and clean with heated floors in the bathroom which felt good on tired feet. Help of all forms were available at all times by the staff. located in walking distance to all points of interest

city center hotels

by atcorazzini

Hello- my husband and I will be taking our 1year old son to St Petersburg for 5 days in August. We would like to stay in a hotel within walking distance of the major sights. We are considering the Hotel Nevsky Palace which I believe is centrally located and offers babysitting.

Are there any other city center hotels which would be clean/ safe for a baby which we should consider? Has anyone stayed in the Chapel Courst Hotel or the Arbat? Curious as to whether they are located near major sights.

thanks!

RE: city center hotels

by travelmad478

The Astoria is very nice, and IMO has a lot more character than the Nevsky Palace. Don't worry too much about being able to walk to things--taxis are cheap and the metro system is extremely useful.

RE: RE: city center hotels

by alcora

Thank you! What is the IMO?

RE: RE: city center hotels

by travelmad478

"IMO" is an abbreviation for "in my opinion." Web talk! Sorry for the confusion.

RE: city center hotels

by Julia2001

Last year I worked as a consierge in Petro palace Hotel- you can bravely book a room here it is really worth of it: central location and at the distance of 500 meters from the Hermitage and 100 meters from St Isaac Cathedral.You are very specific tourists: to travel with 1 year child..If you need a piece of advice send me e-mail mersi00@yandex.ru
Julia