Artilleriyskaya Ulitsa 1, St. Petersburg, 191104, Russia

Satisfaction Terrible

Costs 30% less but rated 31% lower than other 3 star hotels

More about Saint Petersburg

Interior Peter and Paul CathedralInterior Peter and Paul Cathedral

Center of the chapelCenter of the chapel

peter the greatpeter the great

Another of many lavish roomsAnother of many lavish rooms

Piter in Winter

by gregnjny

My Russian-speaking companion and I are visiting Saint Petersburg in late December, "regular" Christmas (Dec 25) through "regular" New Years Day (Jan 1), before going on to Kiev. Anyone have advice specific to that time of year - what there may be special to do there, things that will not be available, how hard it may be getting around in the cold, choice of hotel with that consideration, etc? I understand things really shut down for the long holiday after Jan 1. First time, so seeing some of the major sights (and sites) is the goal. Thanks!!

Re: Piter in Winter

by Natalya2006

The days are short this time and it may be cold. But I think our city is very nice any time. You can walk around and see how the city is beautiful with lights: bridges, building are in lights in the evening.
Museums are opened (not on 01/01 and 07/01)
See the accommodation at

Don't hesitate to ask me about the location of the hotel and anoter questions.

Re: Piter in Winter

by Viktoriyaa

Hello everybody!

My Name is Viktoriya (22 age)
I am so sorry for my bad english =)
I and my germany friend will visit St. Pitersburg =) from 26 December till 6 Jan. =))))
And we are interested in St. Pitersburg in the time of New Year =)
But we have big problem, it is so pity, but we have not friends there.
Maybe someone want to find company for New Year?
Or maybe someone want to walk on the street or spend the time together in one of the day from 27.12 till 5,01? =))))

best regards
Viktoriya

Travel Tips for Saint Petersburg

Hermitage Museum

by DEY

Hermitage Museum - I did the cruise ship visit to St Petersburg last month. We visted Catherine's Palace in Pushkin first in the morning so we arrived to the Hermitage in the afternoon. The cruise ships have tour guides so the cruise ship visitors do not wait in the ticket lines.

Most cruise ships stop running the Northern Europe route the end of September so there will be fewer tourists as that point.

As fas as I am aware, there is only one ticket for the whole main Hermitage museum. The additional buildings across the river would be a separate cost. The beauty of the buildings. Restoration has done a great job.

Be ready to spend lots of time there! I want to go back in the winter where I can spend alot more time on my own.

St.Isaacs cathedral

by yellowstar

what I remebered about this cathedral is again that when it was built some workers had to prepare the roof with quicksilver. Quicksilver makes golden roofs shiny for a long time. Two weeks later they died because they were intoxicated by the quicksilver...
Not a nice memory - I know, but it shows how little a man's life was worth compared to the desire to show-off of a king's, tsar's or government's power by that time.
However, the cathedral is definitely worth entering. It was constructed by a French architect and has very nice paintings in the ceiling, the world's largest door made of wood, etc.

Dvorzovaya Embankment

by bugulma

Between Troizky and Dvorzovy Bridges is laid Dvorzovaya Embankment. I think it is the only street in the world where several palaces were built in the line, including famous Hermitage. The best point to see it is a wall of Petropavlovskaya Fortress in my opinion.

Be ready for the weather

by emilienoelle

St. Petersburg is very far to the North and because of this it never gets really warm there, even in the summer. Our guide told us that they always have to be careful of frost even in the main growing season. It also rains here quite a bit, almost every day, so be sure to keep these things in mind when packing.

Peterhof in winter

by Upstate1NY

Peterhof has an array of large gravity feed fountains supplied by a large resoviour across the street, behind the cathedral. There is no waste of energy except the lights at night. Tthe water flows naturally without help. Due to the time of year, the whole "system" was shut down, but the fixtures remained in place. LIttle inmagination is needed to mentally see the water flowing with the fountains gushing forth in their fluid display.

Comments