The Baltic Star Hotel

Booking.com Priceline.com AMOMA.com

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 58% less than similarly rated 5 star hotels

More about Saint Petersburg

JumpingLORGNIERL+BUGULMA, Hermitage, St PetersburgJumpingLORGNIERL+BUGULMA, Hermitage, St Petersburg

From the other side of the riverFrom the other side of the river

my group (with minders)my group (with minders)

Church of the Spoiled BloodChurch of the Spoiled Blood

Filming in St Petersburg

by davidlever

I am an amateur film maker and would like to make a little video film of St Petersburg. What are the customs like there and do I need a business visa? I'm worried that if the customs see I have professional camera they will tear me apart.I have been to Hungary many times and they are very cool about who comes and goes, even before they joined the EU.

I've heard many horror stories about people entering Russia.Am I worrying too much?

>Am I worrying too much?

And you won't need business visa for such trivial matter.

But be warned: if you have a machine gun with you on your passport picture than you could land up like this passenger if you don't have it:

by Agraichen

While I can't comment on Russia currently, I've sent people to Moscow that carried "professional cameras" (all depends on what you consider professional; granted they were on a NASA sponsored trip, but they had no problems.

By "professional" are we talking shoulder held Sony or something more like a Canon with interchangable lenses; many "amatures" use the Canon for the quality. Just don't say you're doing it for work; you're capturing the trip for your VT travel pages as an amature.

by davidlever

I have a Sony V1 which is small compared to a large digi beta pro camera. The V1 doesnt look like a typical, "Jo tourist" camcorder though.

eh, it's just fine.

by davidlever

It's a little confusing for me. My friend visited with a camcorder 10 years ago and was talking about customs behaving like the Gestapo and having to have an armed bodyguard when he went out, etc etc. Has it changed over their now?

by GyuriFT

We went through the USSR with darn expensive photo equipment plus film camera back in 1986.
All they were worried about was information material. They did not care less about cameras.

Mind you, I was a Soviet citizen living abroad and my g/f from "brotherly" Hungary - much more vulnerable than any "Western" citizen.

by mumymama

Hi there! We travel with a digi beta through Europe, in Paris they didn't let us shooting near the Louvre, neither around it. If you have a small camera - no problem shooting in Saint Petersburg, if only you are not shooting a military target/factory or inside of a museum/concert hall/theater. Just keep an eye on your belongings while shooting :0)

Travel Tips for Saint Petersburg

a beautiful not very Russian city

by call_me_rhia

St. Petersburg is regarded by nearly everyone as the most beautiful city in the world. It has many nicknames, among them Venice of the North and Paris of the East.; and this is its fault, obviouly in my personal opinion. It's everything but Russian, which is something I'll never forgive. It's a living museum, like it or not. But as a city I found it quite cold and very little vibrant. When I visited, large parts of it were covered in scaffoldings, which did not help in improving its charm. I liked it, but was far from being in awe.

Aleksandro-Nevskaya Lavra, Tikhvinskoye Cemetery

by bugulma

It is the cemetery of the famous person of XIX century. In comparison of with cemetery of XVIII century, here you find names are bound up with culture only such as Dostoevsky, Zhukovsky, Kryilov, Chaikovsky, Musorgsky, Rimsky-Korsakov, Kuindgi, Kustodiev and others. The entrance fee is RUR 60 (EUR 1,75) for visit to the both cemetery.

Discounted Entrance

by cosmogypsy

While I was in St. Petersburg, I had a guide. I didn't really want one, but that is another story. Most of the museums or churches have a price for Russians and a price for foreigners. The Foreigners of course paid a lot more than the Russians (example: The Hermitage Russians pay 15 Roubles, Foreigners pay 300 Roubles). Our tour guide would tell us the foreigner price and then say, “but I can get you in for half that, do you want to go?” So we would pay half the price and she would sneak us in the back door. I guess this was common business in St. Petersburg.

Bring plenty of medicines

by mikelisaanna

Bring plenty of medicines, such as aspirin, Tylenol, allergy medications, antacids, etc. Shopping in a pharmacy when you don't feel well and everything is labeled in Russian with Cyrillic letters is not fun.

Trip to Staraja Ladoga

by HORSCHECK

Staraja Ladoga was the first Russian capital and has a more than 1000-year old history. The old city is dominated by an ancient fortress, which nowadays houses a museum. Other sights along the River Volkov include a monastery, a nunnery, a chapel and various churches.

VT member Natalya2006 took me to Staraja Ladoga by car and showed me around. The city is located about 130 km northeast of St. Petersburg near the road to Murmansk.

Another option to get to Staraja Ladoga is to take a train from the Moscow Station in St. Petersburg to Volchovstroj from where local buses go to Staraja Ladoga.

Comments