Chaika

Booking.com Expedia.com Travelocity

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 35% less and rated 13% higher than other 4 star hotels

More about Kaliningrad

Upper pond eveningUpper pond evening

The house seems to be abandoned (Oktyabr'skaya st)The house seems to be abandoned (Oktyabr'skaya st)

Soviet MonumentsSoviet Monuments

inside of amber pyramideinside of amber pyramide

Cycling in Kalingrad and beyond

by dminett

Dear Sir/Madam,
Perhaps this is not the correct forum but I can find no other source of information!
I am an ancient cyclist and intend to cycle from Gdansk along the coastal route E10 to Tallin but what I would like to know is if I can go along the coast/spit through Russian into Lithuania? DO I NEED A VISA and if so from where do I obtain it?
Is there a way of just "turning up" and being able to pass along the coast? Or can I put my bike on a train/bus?
Thank you for helping me.
David Minett

by melek02

David you forget to write the most important thing :) your nationality...
But in case you are Polish - yes you need visa and you can get it in Russian embassy in Poland.

by 68maciek

BTW his name sounds rather not so Slavonic for me.

I red some tourist relations also of bikers. The check point on the Kuronian spite (such a scenic place) is open probably also for bikers. You can also ask about it while obatining your visa in a Russian diplomatic post. It may be a good cross PL-RUS border check point by public transport due to bureaucracy.

by alex1990moscow

Mate! I know in some places i can simply walk through boarder without bein noticed. My friend told me he and his gf were walkin along the beach and suddenly they realised they were no longer in Russia but in Lithuania =)))

by 68maciek

Vot krasivo,Skazy kak projti iz Polshy.Vizy (bliad) dorogije!
So how to overcome bloody Polish border?

Travel Tips for Kaliningrad

Cathedral

by bugulma

Cathedral of the city seems to be the oldest building we can see nowadays. The first mention of building works dates back to September of 1333 (although the beginning of the works were begun in 1297-1303). The clock in the belfry was placed in 1640 and the organ was placed in 1695. There were several restoration works. During WWII the cathedral was totally fired down but the building carcass survived. During Soviet times there wasn't the decision to have the building works and the cathedral turned to ruins. The restoration works began in 1992 and finished in 1998 (although some decoration works has been lasting till now).
In 1804 Immanuel Kant, the famous citizen of the city, was buried in the cathedral.
We haven't see the interior. As fas as we understood the cathedral is open only for the concerts events. The cathedral is siatuated in Kant island, city center (former Island of Kneiphof).
Some photos are in the travelogue.

Hard to find Russian-made cars...

by bugulma

Well, during almost a week we spent in Kaliningrad we found only 3 cars made in Russia/USSR (agree that I could not look around much and maybe didn't find a few). I read that the citizens due to its location to Europe prefer European cars (not always new) but I couldn't imagine how locals love European cars :-) So, try to renovate my record and to find more Russian-made cars in the city :-)

Royal gate

by ananass

Royal gate - оne of seven kept оld city gates of Kaliningrad.

In 2005 the Royal gate were a symbol of celebrating of the 750 anniversary of Kaliningrad. Since the same year a gate are branch of the Museum of the World ocean. In them the exposition, devoted to visiting Кёнигсберга Great Peter's I embassy is located.

As well as other gates of Konigsberg , the Royal gate have been built in gothic style, but in the Royal gate style is expressed most brightly. A material of a gate - a brick. The author of the project of a gate - general Ernest Ludwig.
The first circle of a gate is decorated by three portals, the second - three niches in which bas-reliefs of king of Czechia Ottokar II (at the left) are established, king of Prussia Fridrch I (in the middle) and duke of Prussia Albrecht I (on the right). Under figures their patrimonial arms are placed. Above niches the arms of the Prussian grounds.

Kaliningrad

by MikeAtSea

I only passed through here - due to the long wait at the border my sightseeing was cut short to the minimum. Even though I had hoped to catch a glimpse of old Koenigsberg I only passed the outskirts of the city. The city is home to some 500.000 people and has a long history. The glory days were when Koenigsberg was part of the Hanseatic League. During World War II the city was almost completley destroyed and later annexed by the Soviet Union who named it Kaliningrad in 1946 to honour the Soviet leader Kalinin.

Organ concert hall

by bugulma

Organ concert hall is situated in Khmelnitsky street. The building is the former church "Zur heiligen Familie" built in 1904-1907 by Friedrich Heitmann architect. The building was turned to the concert hall in 1980.

Comments