PM Zelenogradsk, Lane Spa, 2, Kaliningrad, 238530, Russia
More about Kaliningrad
Building for the mechanism of drawbridge
A town en-route
Travel Tips for Kaliningrad
Museum of Ocean. B-413 Submarine
B-413 Submarine is the diesel submarine built in 1967-1968 and was ascribed to Northern Navy. During 1960-1980s the submarine had a several campaigns in the different parts of the world. In 1990-1999 the submarine was a part of Baltic Navy. In 1999 the submarine was given to Museum of Ocean and was open for tourists in July of 2000.
Fortifications. Brandenburger Gate
Branderburger Gate is the Gate in the South-Western part of the city, very close to the Central Railway station. The gate was built in 1657. During Friedreich II times the gate were widen and there were built 2 arches that we can see nowadays. Last restoration works date back to 1843.
Fortifications. Ausfaler Gate
Ausfaler Gate (Ausfaltor) is situated in Western part of the city, not far from the Monument to 1200 Guardsmen. The first fortifications were built in the place in XVII century. The construction we see in present dates back to 1866. The gate was for pedestrians only. After WWII the gate was used as a warehouse and in 2007 was given to the city historical museum. On 2nd and 3rd pictures you may see St Georgy chapel, built in 1993 in honour of Soviet soldiers, killed during assault of Koenigsberg in 1945.
The Zoo in Kaliningrad is one of the oldest in Russia. It was founded in 1895 after German Manufacturing Exhibition. The official open was in May of 1896. After WWII the Zoo was open in June of 1947. Since 2000 there are reconstruction works in the Zoo step by step.
Some photos of animals are in the travelogue.
Kalinigrad what a surprise!
"The city and its wonderful coast...."
After three year since our last trip in Russia, in june 2008 we went again in this nice country.
This time we decided to organize a different trip.
We have some friends in Kaliningrad and we decided to go there accepting their invitation.
Kaliningrad it's a strange place. This area was in origin a German region, the old name of this town was Konisberg, but, after the war, Russia received this area as second WW winner. When sovietic arrived all German people left this area, then today the inabithants are russian people who leave faraway from classical Russia.
During the comunism, sovietic union arrived till here, comprending also the baltic republics. When these three Baltic republic became indipendent, Kalinigrad area remained separates from Russia, an enclave in the EU heart.
We made this trip above all for staying with our friends, but we discovered a nice place.
A city where people like to live, here Kant spent his live, it's possible to see his grave in the cathedral, walking in the city you can try to find out the old german origin. Some wonderful places in the sea-side; close to the border with Lituania the highest european sandy dunes, a majestic spectacle.
We suggest to visit this area when you organize a travel in the Baltic country....
Popular Hotels in Kaliningrad
Turgeneva ulitsa, 32a, Kaliningrad