16 A Krasnoy Armii Street, Krasnoyarsk, 660017, Russia
Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

More about Krasnoyarsk

Krasnoyarsk railway stationKrasnoyarsk railway station

fancy skiing at -28 to -35°C ?fancy skiing at -28 to -35°C ?

truck monumenttruck monument

Yenisey river with bridgeYenisey river with bridge

Travel Tips for Krasnoyarsk

The bridge

by anzzz

When in Krasnoyarsk, don't miss this bridge over Yenisey river. If it looks familiar to you, it's because it is the very same bridge that you can see on the 10 rouble bill! The dam on the other side of the bill is also in Krasnoyarsk, see my must see activity tip!

Details of the Museum

by bugulma

The funny thing is the museum has a pictures on the walls in Egyptian style. I don't know why they decided to do that, why Egyptian and why in Eastern Syberia. I asked my colleague but they hadn't any idea as well.

Old Houses

by bugulma

There are a lot of old houses along the central streets. I have got a feeling that the owners tried to build the house the more beautiful than their neighbours. Fortunately they are kept and new houses are built around old ones.

Divnogorsk dam

by yumyum

This is one of the biggest dams in Russia. Take a bus to Divnogorsk town from Retchnoi Voksal (lower level). From Divnogorsk we took the bus further at a special price to the bridge of the Yenisey (Abakan road) in front of the dam. Not understanding the signs we walked up the road to the dam, heard a loudspeaker, but obviously didn't understand anything. Up there we were greeted by two Kalashnikovs pointed at us. We had to show passports and were picked up by the securtiy and driven down again. We never got to see the lake itself which was the purpose of going up there. Actually, I felt very weird walking up there but my travel mate absolutely wanted to. Luckily I spoke a little Russian and the guys up there where very happy that they were facing some stupid tourists and not terrorists trying to blow up the dam. I explained to them that in Switzerland it was perfectly normal to walk across dams etc.

We then had to walk all the way back to Dvinogorsk as there is only one daily bus from Abakan. We were hassled by some very hungry dogs among them a *** but luckily they eventually left us to go to some fish stalls. We were rather scared by the dogs behaviour. On the walk back the saw a monument with a huge truck. From Dvinogorsk bus station we took a marshrutka to Stolby where we hiked another 14 km.

Third largest city in Siberia

by angelochka

The 119m Krasnoyarsk hydroelectric dam, located on the Yenisey river within 30 km upstream from Krasnoyarsk, was finished in 1964 and supplies 6000MW of power (sorry, took this info from Wikipedia), anyway to me it looked powerful and impressive enough!

Construction of the Krasnoyarsk hydroelectric dam greatly impacted the local climate. Before the dam was built, the Yenisey in that area was free from ice for around 196 days per year; now it remains free from ice for the whole year, because of that local climate is more warm and humid.

Comments