Avtozavodskaya Hotel

Booking.com Expedia.com Priceline.com

Satisfaction Terrible

More about Nizhniy Novgorod

inside the museum of Gorodezinside the museum of Gorodez

Alexander Nevski cathedral in N. NovgorodAlexander Nevski cathedral in N. Novgorod

the Bank of Russia in Nizhny Novgorodthe Bank of Russia in Nizhny Novgorod

The interior of Archangel Michael cathedralThe interior of Archangel Michael cathedral

nizhny novgorod

by porgy

I am looking for reasonable apartment rental in nizhny novgorod.

Suggestions on what to see and do, esp. anything to do with boating on the volga.

How far is the airport from the city?

Thanks!

by rogan

Take a look at heplion and neilmcg VT pages.
They have both (I think) been to Nizhny.

Any boat trip on The Volga is great. I loved the trip from Volgograd to Astrakhan. But you could certainly travel down to Kazan or Simbirsk on an overnight boat.
They are well equipped and usually offer dining and dancing.

by Lalique

As about "what to see and to do" you can have a look at my page....
Airport is not that far from the city, takes about 30 min by car to get to and another 15 min to the very center....

by porgy

Thanks everybody for the suggestions, any ideas about apartment rental in NN?

Cat,
I loved the photos, I had considered taking a ferry from Moscow to NN, how long would the trip take and cost? I will certainly take the Volga/Oka boat ride I read about on your page. Would there be any possiblity to rent motor cruiser/ sailboat/dingy etc for self sailing in NN? Thanks again

by kypitsn

I am looking to rent an apartment in Nizhniy Novgorod for September 2 through November 2,.. ay suggestions for a nicely decorated and safe apartment fully furnished and with satellite television

by rogan

You could try looking at russian girlfriday or uncle pasha for accomodation - If they haven't got it listed - they can find it !

by firooz

Dear fellows, I will be in NN at the center of July (15 till 15 Aug)So I want to know the hotel or appartments rent prices and what kinda facilities will be provided by them? is some body can describe me a lil about it Please....
Thanks for co-Operation

Firooz

Travel Tips for Nizhniy Novgorod

Gorky is the former name of...

by kittivitti

Gorky is the former name of this city (it's named after Rusian communist Gorky). Now it's named Nizhny Novgorod.
City population is 1.5 millions.
It located 400 km to the East from Moscow in the place where river Oka joins river Volga.
Nizhny Novgorod is considered the third major city of Russia, after Moscow and St.Petersburg.

learn at least the russian alphabet !!!

by globetrott

Without beeing able to read at least the russian alphabet you will hardly be able to get along in places like Nizny Novgorod. The inscription of "Cappucino" on my photograph is an exception, as you will hardly find anything written in our letters.
A few young people might speak english or even some german, BUT 99,9% of the people in supermarkets, shops, post-offices, train-counters, police etc. will not understand a single english word.
On the other hand plenty of russian words are really easy to be understood, when you are able to read the cyrillic letters. e.g. PECTOPAH does not make sense on a 1st view, but when reading it you will find out it is a Restaurant and for Cafe and pizzeria this applies as well.
Platzkartni is another german word used in russian and there are many more like the word for penalty in Russia is "Schtraf" similar to the german word Strafe with exactely the same meaning.

Church of the Sleeping Mary

by Upstate1NY

I can't help but imagine how attractive this chuch site must have been before the apartment building was contructed behind it. With the Russian attention to details in artistry, with good fortune, they will remove the apartments to allow the chuch to reclaim its "mastery" of this space.
My Guide was at a losss to try to give a better translation of the name of the church. The Russian word in it's name actually means something closer to "in eternal peaceful repose" rather than just "sleeping" but because it is one word it would say either "The Sleeping Mary" or "The Dead Mary" neither of which really say in English what is meant in Russian. So the language barrier still "lives" even in the face of knowledgeble assistance!
My guide again had to enter into a LONG discussion with the lady selling candles before she refered him to the priest to get permission for me to photograph the interior. My experience in Russia in 1999 showed that many Russians had a very sincere, heartfelt, basis of faith but they were uncetain how this would be met by a westerner let alone an American. Once I expressed my own faith and the fact that i had been ordained a deacon years before in my church, they accepted me and shared their faith traditions (and questions!!) quite openly. The very fact that I was not abe to do as much as I would have wanted to do when I was activily serving as a deacon perhaps is part of my drive now to seek ways to extend my faith service by sharing with Russians who may wonder if they are isolated in the world of intelligent people by expressing their own faith traditions.
In the last picture. taken of the ceiling, unfortunately I could not quite bring myself to pull a "Leonardo", by laying on my back on the floor to photograph it, so please accept it with its limitations!

Kuzma Minin - Russia's most polpular butcher

by globetrott

Kuzma Minin is a very popular russian hero, you will see his statues in many cities of Russia, the most popular one maybe in front of Saint Baisil's cathedral on Red Square.
Here in Nizhny Novgorod he used to live as an ordinary butcher before he started to support Prince Dimitry Pozharsky and helped him to gather an army in order to defeat the polish army,that had invaded Russia.
After the fights he returned to his job as a butcher and you will see at least 3 monuments of him in Nizhny Novgorod :
1 & 2) in the Kremlin, next to the cathedral
3 & 4) outside of the Kremlin
5) in front of the church of John the Babtist

Monument to the founders

by Upstate1NY

This large (read MASSIVE) monument to the founders is located just in front of the Cathedral of John The Fore Runner, in a samll circular landscaped "green area". Notice that just behind the church is the Kremlin itself.

Comments