Nizhniy Novgorod Hotels

• Upstate1NY profile photo Upstate1NY
  • Reviews: 136

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Oleg and Tanya's "home" (Apartment): Home Stay

This was a genuine "Home Stay" with some WONDERFUL people. I was MORE than a bit apprehensive when I arrive to discover that the family had a dog. I am allergic to dogs with fur. (Dogs with hair are OK, it is the dander from fur that most people are allergic to.) My second reaction was the fact that the "pup" was a Pit bull, with a bark that would not have just awaken the dead, it would have reassembled the cremated!!!
The VERY kind folks moved the dog downstairs to the family room. He did bark and whine a bit but was quite well behaved even when their grandson "rough-housed" with him.
Oleg went to the "apteka" (chemist, apothecary, Pharmacy) to get some medication for me when my stomach was "acting up" plus he helped me select a cane when my back stated acting up (This was my last stop on a five week trek that had stated in Houston Texas November 4th then I had spent 8 days in Germany and Luxembourg, and this was December 3rd, the end of almost three weeks of my "Great Trans Siberian Railroad adventure". I had been "lugging" 150 pounds of baggage on this WHOLE trek and my back was giving out finally, after five weeks, I was WEAK(end)!

NICE PEOPLE, Oleg was a good cook, a great driver, a WONDERFUL host! Tanya was a WONDERFUL cook, a terrific Grandmother, a wonderfil hostess and just a really nice person!

I don't hink I could have found nicer people if I had interviewed everyone in N. Novgorod.

The MOST amazing thing was they had the biggest aprtment I had ever seen in Russia OR the US!
two floors , to balconies, a front yard (yes small but still, there!) a place to park their car right in front (or back how ever you look at it!!) PLUS a celler!
On the upper floor was four rooms, two bedrooms, a living room and a large eat-in kitchen plus the bathroom, down stairs there was a sauna, and a LARGE family room

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Related to: Trains, Family Travel, Budget Travel
  • Written December 16, 2005
Tip Photo

Oleg and taya's apertment house

• gaechka profile photo gaechka
  • Reviews: 64

Tupical russ house: The best accom. in N.Novgorod

Great house and very hospitality people. The best way to feel real friendly climate. There is REAL russ banya!

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Related to: Singles, Backpacking, Budget Travel
  • Written January 5, 2005

my accom in N.Novgorod

• nickenyfiken profile photo nickenyfiken
  • Reviews: 48
Volzhsky Otkoz: A very calm hotel with wonderful views of Volga.

It's a pretty big hotel and I think it was built in the 50'ies. You can see inside the hotel that it is a bit old and has not been renovated, but that does not destroy the beauty of its rooms. (I liked them). From the outside, however, it does not look that beautiful. It is very centrally located, just about two hundred meters from the Kremlin. When we were there in the beginning of May it was very calm and very few people living there, unfortunately.

The view of Volga from my room was great. I lived in a two bed room, which had a TV with three channels (in some rooms, however, they had more channels, maybe nine), a bathroom with a bath, though one night the water didn't work at all (probably a problem due to that there was so little water in the Volga river this spring). There is a cafe in the hotel which is open both day and night where you can drink tea with lemon and other things and eat small cold dishes and pancakes. (It was nice and tasty).

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Written May 17, 2003
Tip Photo

A view of Volga, from the street outside the hotel

• Anya_D profile photo Anya_D
  • Reviews: 201

Hotels Rus and Lada, both on...

Hotels Rus and Lada, both on Moskovskaya Street. Lada is considered to be slightly better. I recommend you take the 'lux' rooms or VIP rooms in Lada: they are much better than the usual ones. The price is comparatively cheap: VIP is 600 rubles only, which means 20 USD.

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average