15A Sormovskoe Highway, Nizhniy Novgorod, 162521, Russia
Travelocity Expedia.com Booking.com

More about Nizhniy Novgorod

The samowar-museum in GorodetzThe samowar-museum in Gorodetz

Alexander Nevski cathedral in N. NovgorodAlexander Nevski cathedral in N. Novgorod

the clock of the Bank of Russiathe clock of the Bank of Russia

the Bank of Russia in Nizhny Novgorodthe Bank of Russia in Nizhny Novgorod

Need to find a friend

by spooknz

Hello,

I am travelling to Nizhny Novgorod, towards the end of January 2005.

I am coming across to visit a friend. The trouble is her and i have lost touch. I only know her name, and what she does for a job. I also have a few photo's of her. It is virtually impossible for me to find her from this side of the world without help.

I will also be requiring an apartment to rent for the duration of my stay, can anybody please help me??

Re: Need to find a friend

by GeorgeW6

Hi, I just asked a question and noticed yours. You might try this page below. This is a legit site for tours to meet women for the possibility of eventual marriage and they have plenty of information on the other aspects of the cities they visit. I think they give some information about where to stay that would help you. Also, it might be possible to have them help you with your search. Maybe you can make some kind of deal with them for a fee or just go on the tour and tell them to try and find this person. These are just my thoughts. I think the city has 2 million people so you are going to need local help.

Good luck, Let me know how things go.

George

Travel Tips for Nizhniy Novgorod

visit the kremlin,it is like...

by fabrice

visit the kremlin,it is like in moscow,although it is smaller I asked a girl in the street:gde potchta? where is the post-office? and we stayed 8 hours together walking in the streets of the city;temperature was:-6°C

great street-lamps inside the Kremlin

by globetrott

Dont miss to take a closer look at the lovely street-lamps that you will find all over the Kremlin-area. 2 Lamps with the local coat of arms between them and the crown on top of it.
On my 3rd photograph : the coat of arms of Nizhny Novgorod on top of one of the entrance-gates to the Kremlin.

Church of the Most Holy Women Bringers

by Upstate1NY

Church of the Most Holy Women Bringers, in English that name sounds a bit strange but it is because it is a translation of Russian. The phrase, Holy Women Bringers, refers to the women who came to Christ's tomb in the morning. They were bringing herbs and ointments to anoint the body, Thus they were "Bringers" in that they "brought" things for Christ in the tomb.
It appears to be the tradition of the Russian Orthodox Church to dedicate each church to some event in the context of Gods relationship with believers. To celebrate , educate and reinforce that relationship for and among the faithful.
While at best my attempts to express my understanding in words of elements of faith within the context of the Russian Orthodox traditions were very clumsy, as my guide graciously said, he recognized I could tell it was present without my having to see the "mustard seed." His referral to that phrase instantly identified him as follower of the gospel just as surely as if he had drawn a curved line in the sand when we met on the road in the desert! He stated that he preferred the evangelical expression of faith more than the Russian Orthodox. When I asked to see his church he explained that they did not have a building of their own but rather met in an unused auditorium in an older building. That had been my experience as far back as 1992 when five of us sang Christmas carols for a congregation in St. Petersburg.
Note in particular the candle stands in the third picture, this is the only church where you will see them shrouded like this. It is in honor of the women "bringers", it represents the skirts the women wore.

another funny sculpture

by globetrott

This is another quite funny monument / sculpture in the pedestria area of Bolschaja Pokrowskaja : a young mother and her son, who is playing with a small steam-boat-toy. The most funny part of this sculpture is the fact that you will be able to take a seat next to the lady and her son, on the same bench.
My 3-5th photoraph are showing another funny sculpture : a postman on his bike, right at the beginning of the pedestrian area and next to the monument to "Lenin and the Marxists"

The Belfry of St. Sophia Cathedral

by mallyak

The Belfry of St. Sophia Cathedral is the major bell tower of the city of Novgorod. Dating from mid-15th century, it was built in order to replace an earlier belfry that was destroyed in a flood in 1437. Very little has been preserved of the original appearance of the belfry - over the centuries it was reconstructed and redesigned many times, but through all the changes it remained the main bell tower in Novgorod

Comments