Lermontov St 62, Omsk, 644070, Russia

More about Omsk

Omsk CathederalOmsk Cathederal

Irtysh riverIrtysh river

Hotel OktyabrskayaHotel Oktyabrskaya

Opera and balletOpera and ballet

Trying to find Family

by seoulgirl

Hello. Could someone look in the phone book and see if there are any Appelt family names listed? My grandfather left Omsk in 1923 and last heard from family in 1936. His father was Henry and mother Amelia. They were Germans settled around the eastern shadow of the Ural moutains, not too far from the Irtysh river. Any help is appreciated.

by ElenaKKKK

I guess these people could be your far relatives: the same surname and Omsk:
they meant Appelt Irma and Richardt - people who moved to Omsk in 1913 from Germany (Irma had many brothers and sisters) - try this one:
It's the most famous Russian (international) programf of free search of people - they have a lot of successful stories.))) Good luck))))

by ElenaKKKK

There the same surnames in Kazakhstan - they could be from the same family too - just keep in mind: the year 1936 - begining of Stalin's repressions and the coming WW2, then a lot of Germans were exiled.The Kazakhstan is one of the Gulag regions there they were exiled during 1937-1953 years:-/

by GyuriFT

Little addition: for EU citizens who can prove, their parent or grandparent were Russian citizens (in your case: your grandfather would be Russian citizen) any kind of visa to Russia is FREE.

You can apply for a 5-year multiple entry for the same price (ZERO) as for a single-entry. This is since June 2007, but only for EU citizens except UK.

by seoulgirl

Correction on my query. His wifes name was Amelia Rosinski and he went by the name Heinrich. They lived 90 miles outside of Omsk on a farm as described previously. He was born in 1883 and married Amelia in 1903. She was born in 1988. As far as I know they were both born in Russia. She had 2 brothers and 1 sister living near them in Russia when they left for the u.s. in 1923.

Travel Tips for Omsk

First impression, etc

by searcher68

First, I want to say when you arrive don't be suprised by the size and poor condition of the airport in Omsk.

The airport is a leftover from the Soviet era and it looks like it.

There are many nice, new and better kept places in Omsk. If you have friends or can speak the language they can show you the nicer places. In general, there are many nice places and many bad places as well.

My favorite thing about Omsk quite simply is the people. They were very nice and I didn't have a moment where I didn't feel safe or unwelcomed. I wish I could stay longer and I intend to return again during the summer. Well........

I am quite an oddity in Omsk. That is, there aren't any Black/African-American people in Omsk so I was quite an attraction to some. Many people wanted to meet me and speak to me.

The funniest moments were when some old women almost fell over trying to get a look at me and when a man, crossing the street via a tunnel, was shocked to see me. he was singing and his tone and expression changed. He said aloud, in Russian, "Oh my god! A black person!", LOL!

I have included a photo of myself in front of a small orthodox church in Omsk. Later I may post other photos of myself in Omsk.

More chruches in Omsk

by Upstate1NY

I noticed and briefly visited one more church in Omsk but also saw a chapel and a smaller neighborhood church that I did not have the oppertunity to visit. Are these really "significant"? Well, yes but only if you stop to consider that these "survivied" the soviet Era and are now "working churches" again no matter what they were called under the prior administrartion of Russia, a Museum, a Warehouse or a "What ever" they did "survive' by what ever ruse, and they are now what they were meant to be!!
In fact it turns out that this little chapel near the bridge over the River Om was distroyed during the Soviet Era and has only recently been rebuilt.. Further evidence of the resolve of Russians to reclaim their heritage.

Of Great significance is Nikolsky Cathedral
The Cathedral has regained its original appearance by the efforts of the Omsk restorers.
The Cathedral of the Exalation of the Cross (Crossvosdvizhensky) situated in Tarskaya Street has existed for 130 years. The edifice signifies a great interest of the architects of the second half of tne 19th century to historical styles. The silhouette of the domes and church-tower makes one recall the shapes of the Baroque structures. This impression is more intensified when the Cathedral in recent times was restored with gold.

Telephone

by yumyum

I don't think that you'd get very far with these old fashioned phones. Better use a mobile phone like most young and trendy Russians. As a tourist you can only buy a sim card if you have your passport registered in the city and for the date when you want to buy it. If you buy one in Moscow for instance, check that you get a good coverage in Siberia or have the roaming turned on if applicable.

Offering Money

by blaird

Offering Money - If it is a friend, you must be careful with how you offer money. Here is a little story of how I learned this. On my 2nd trip in Omsk a friend was driving us all over the place. After about the 3rd trip I started feeling guilty (maybe my Catholic upbringing), so I offered him money for gas. He was totally offended, like I was thinking less of him. I needed to explain it is common to offer money for gas in the US, which made the situation a little better.

A better approach would have been to go to a store or kiosk and pick up something he would have enjoyed: liquor, a special food treat, or somehting like that. Or, maybe I should have just planned to send him a little package once I got back home.

It seems a gift is a much better appraoch than offering money. I learned the hard way.

Bearing gifts

by blaird

Bearing gifts - I recommend bringing a gift as you visit someone's apartment, even if it's a small one. Liquor, food, or something as you sit around and talk to add to the festivities is always welcome. The people I visited really seemed to try hard to make my visit a special event, no matter what situation they were in. Try to make your visit special for the hosts, just as it is special to you.

Comments