Hotel Ontario

Booking.com Priceline.com eDreams

Satisfaction No Data

No Satisfaction or Value Data Available

More about Yakutsk

The museum is close to this placeThe museum is close to this place

old cathedral seen from the fortressold cathedral seen from the fortress

Yakutsk in winter looks a ghost townYakutsk in winter looks a ghost town

look at the thermometer showing -39 degrees!!!look at the thermometer showing -39 degrees!!!

trip Yakutsk to Ulaanbaatar

by babupg

I'm planning 2 treks this summer - July / August. The first ends in Yakutsk and second begins in Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia. I have 2 weeks to make the trip and would like to use ground transportation. What is available?

Re: trip Yakutsk to Ulaanbaatar

by Nuclei

I wanted to make Yakutsk during TSR last year. Yakutsk is very difficult to arrive with ground transportation. The best way is to use airflight. You can reach from Irkutsk. Better to check from Irkustk airport web site for departure and arrivals: http://en.iktport.ru/
Irkustk is wonderful place and you can take a train to Ulaanbaatar.

Enjoy

Travel Tips for Yakutsk

YAKUTSKI GOSUDARSTVENNI MUSEI ISTORIA I KULTURI

by jorgejuansanchez

This is the best museum in Yakutsk, much better than the one dedicated to the mammoths and the diamonds.
The exact name is YAKUTSKI GOSUDARCTVENNI MUSEI ISTORIA I KULTURI NARODOV SEVERA. It only costs 50 rubles if you do not speak while buying the ticket and just show one with your fingers, because foreigners pay much more. Inside, in its 3 stories, you will find many instruments, articles and daily life utensils that the Yakuts use in the north, in the Ocean Glacial Arctic.
It is very didactic and in the front of the building there is a dinousar skeleton.

The coldest place in the Northern Hemisphere

by jorgejuansanchez

"Yakutsk is a nice and historic town"

It was already dark in Yakutsk, the capital of Yakut?a, a territory of over three million square kilometres [six Spains, one and a half Mexicos or ten per cent larger than Argentina!!] The clock was only reading four o'clock in the afternoon. On the other hand, in the summer the sun never sets in this arctic republic. Even worse was reading the outdoor temperature on a thermometer: minus forty-one degrees centigrade! Except for the Antarctic, Yakutia is the place with the lowest temperatures in the planet, situated in an area of true permafrost.

My Russian friend had warned me: take good care with the people of Yakutia! But as soon as I established a degree of friendship with these people, there in the Yakutsk airport, they warned me, 'Take great care with Russians!

Opposite the airport were two hotels. I made enquiries at the firs and they told me that the rate for a single room, including a sumptuous breakfast, was three hundred roubles, a bit under ten American dollars. Astonished by the low price and determined not to be thought guilty of deception, when I showed my passport, I told the receptionist, 'Look, I'm a foreigner.' She didn't turn a hair and replied that if foreigners didn't stay at the hotel, she wouldn't be able to understand what I was saying. The price was just the same for everybody. Yippee! In Yakutia, the prices were the same, regardless of nationality, and I shouldn't have to seek out a geyser shed or a yurt [local type of tent] in order to sleep cheaply.

It's interesting that, because of the accent I had when speaking Russian, they took me for an Armenian and told me that millions of 'us' were already there, engaged in cheap manual labour, often in diamond mining. When I got over to them the fact that I was Spanish, they were gobsmacked but when they started to revive from this, they gave me the heartiest possible welcome, saying with great conviction that it was a great honour for Yakutia to be visited by a person from such a distant country, as they see Spain.

On the following days I was invited to try 'kumis,' a drink very popular in Kazajstan, made from the milk of mares. On one occasion an old person of the region interpreted a tune for me by means of a small instrument that they call a 'jomus,' a bit like a soup spoon to look at. It's placed in part of the mouth and a reed is vibrated to produce sounds very pleasing to the ear.

The local people are of Turcoman stock, related to the people of Mongolia. They practice Shamanism; I was once fortunate enough to see and talk with a shaman with a massive mop of hair and outlandish clothes in a fair for medicinal plants in Yakutsk. Their language has strong similarities with Turkish, Tartar, Kazak and the language spoken by the people of the Republic of Tuva, some hundred and fifty million in total. Physically they are chubby and rather squat with pronounced cheekbones. Many of them are nomads who live with their herds of reindeer in the north of the country near the icebound Arctic Ocean, sleeping in yurts.

The women sport very bright jewels, especially necklaces. On close-up examination these can be seen to consist of any number of small diamonds; Yakutia has an astonishing number of diamond mines. The women of Yakutia show off their jewellery like Spanish girls wear silver forget-me-nots, given to them by their fianc?s. Every few metres you can find jewellers with the most brilliant and remarkable stones delicately sculpted into fantastic designs such as teardrops or dodecahedrons. The effect was multiplied by strategic positioning of mirrors and lenses in the shops almost to the point of being hypnotic, the sort of thing that would have suited Alibaba in his cave - to show off to the forty thieves. No doubt Yakutsk is a city of great wealth.

"So cold! After looking at the pic I feel cold!"

One day, while I was there, I decided to take a photo of a thermometer high up in the Telecommunications Building. It was already three in the afternoon and I needed to get back to my hotel. In the night the temperature would fall to below minus fifty centigrade! I had finished a visit to a fort built in 1632 near the River Lena by the Russian explorer, Simeon Deshnev, to the Cathedral, to the tower that remained from the old wooden fortifications, which had largely burned down and to some museums, including those of mammoths and of diamonds; in Yakutia you can buy little figurines made from Mammoth bones.

I was wearing a 'shuba' or anorak, given to me by the son-in-law of my Russian friend's Godfather's eldest daughter, two pairs of trousers, leather boots, several sweaters and a sort of Russian peaked cap called shapka. Even so I had to pop in to a jeweller's every five minutes to warm up. My eyes would freeze and [I have to tell it as it was - more's the pity!] some other delicate masculine parts of my body were freezing up as well!

Well, I took off my right glove for less than ten seconds, just time to get my hands steady and take the photo of the thermometer now registering minus thirty-nine degrees centigrade. 'Click' - it was done and I reached out to put back my glove but - Heaven help us! - It seemed as though the fingers of my hand were in the process of falling off! I shot into a cinema and in its cafeteria I pleaded for a glass of hot water, tea or coffee - of whatever would be the first available - then I was holding my hand and trying to plunge it into the glass. The two attendants, a sexy and forward pair, one smoking and the other painting her nails, told me without any interest that there were having a ?pererib? or temporary pause for a quarter of an hour. I rushed into the toilet and turned on the hot tap. It took a full ten minutes with my hand held under before I recovered feeling!

One cold day in December I flew back to Moscow and immediately changed onto a plane to my beloved birthplace, Barcelona. My stay in Russia had already become like a lovely Russian fairy-tale and, like all my trips, I could appreciate it much better on arriving home. I spread out my map of the world and marked in where I had travelled; near the Arctic Ocean; in the easternmost part of Asia, in two of the 'forbidden' islands of the Kuriles, in the 'Proliv Laperuza' to sail to Korsakov in the island of Sajalin, and in the peninsula of Kamchatka. I felt hugely emotional. Although I was left with scarce a Euro in my pocket and that night I had to eat a horrible mortadella sandwich, because I didn't feel like going for more to the Pakistani shop that was still open in the late hours of the night. I shouted joyfully, 'My God, how very lucky I am. I have been to stupendous places and seen amazing sights that not too many human eyes have seen.

History of Yakutsk

by alexprofi

"History of Yakutsk"

Yakutsk - capital Republics Saha (Yakutia), one of the oldest cities of Siberia.
Date of the basis - on September, 25, 1632 when the group of the Yenisei commander of hundred Peter Beketova, surveying coast of the river of Lena, has put in pawn Lena a jail on the right to coast of the river in 70 kms. To the north of modern Yakutsk.
Yakutsk is renamed into Yakutsk in 1643., being military - administrative and shopping center of all Lena region, since 1708 has been subordinated Siberian, at the end of XVIII century - Irkutsk to provinces. In 1822 Yakutsk becomes regional city, and since 1851 Yakutia receives the status of independent area on the rights of province with the center in Yakutsk.
From times of the basis, within more than two centuries Yakutsk served as the center and basic base for research of northeast of Asia. From here there left in unknown Semion Dejnev, Vladimir Atlasov, Ivan Moskvitin, Vasily Pojarkov, Erofey Khabarov and others, opened a passage between Asia and America, Kamchatka, the river Amur, coast Arctic and great Silent oceans. Yakutsk was at various times visited Vitus Bering, Khariton and Dmitry Laptevy, Semion Tcheliuskin, by Ferdinand Vrangel, Edward Tol, Ivan Chersky, Ivan Goncharov and other large scientists, travellers, writers.
Yakutsk is located on 62 degree of northern breadth. In Yakutsk were marked 64 degree a frost and 38 degree heat. Amplitude of fluctuations of the winter and summer temperatures, exceeding 100 degree , any region of the world Average temperature in January - does not test 42,7 degrees, in July + 18,7 degrees. For a year drops out up to 202 mm of deposits. Local time outstrips Moscow at 6 o'clock.
Territory of the Yakut city administration - 3.6 thousand sq. m, including within the limits of city feature of-1.6 thousand in sq.m. In administrative-territorial structure - 14 settlements. Distance up to Moscow - 8468 kms, up to the nearest railway station Tommot - 453 kms. River port on r. Lena.
Today Yakutsk - large administrative, industrial, cultural and a centre of science. Business, the city is connected by relations of production to many enterprises of Russia, foreign firms. In city operate 10 banks and their branches.
The wide network of the trading organizations, the food, ware and mixed markets, more than 200 points of public catering of the population functions. Visitors of capital are rendered with services of 24 hotels with lumpsum capacity of 1238 places.
In city the network of presidential schools and the centers of culture and art is created.
Yakutsk - city of a science. Today scientific researches and development conduct 25 scientific organizations.
The Yakut centre of science and Academy of sciences of republic unite 14 scientific research institutes of the academic structure, except for that 7 institutes of a branch structure and other scientific organizations work. Scientific development and researches conduct 2547 workers, from them 98 doctors of sciences, 458 candidates of sciences. The volume of research works in 1998 is appreciated in 156 million roubles. Scientific researches of the Yakut scientists are connected basically to problems of northern region.

Yakutsk - the place at the end of civilized world?

by kek4la

I went to Yakutsk for a math contests in the summer of 2001.
It was an "experience".
Maybe the title is a little exagerated, maybe not!
You decide!
Go over there, but be prepared for "experience"!

National holiday

by alexprofi

"Isiah - the Yakut national holiday."

Isiah - the Yakut national holiday. On the Yakut calendar the longest day began with June, 22 - the first day of a solstice. It served as a signal to the beginning of organizational ritual holiday Isiah-a meeting of New year. Isiah is a traditional holiday of people saha, personifying I meet summers, awakening of the nature, will bless association of forces and opportunities of people for creation, well-being and abundances. During time Isiah the private world of people which by means of ancient, sacred rituals and ceremonies displays a way of life, moral principles, customs and the outlook of people expressing a celebration of harmony between the Person and the World, between results of human work and the nature, incorporated is most full opened by a uniform rhythm. On Isiah people adhere to celebratory rules.
Circular dance osuohai symbolizes the closed vital circle. Dancing, moving on a course of the sun, as though make circulation after time and space. Participants of a holiday, having joined hands, feel positive bioenergy each other, perception of beauty and self-expression of the person.
National clothes. Isiah - a long-awaited holiday for people saha, for it wait the whole year and beforehand prepare for it - sew celebratory orders and make furnitures. On Isiah people go in a special celebratory attire. It not only a rule of rules, and a tribute to traditions of people. On Isiah various ceremonies and rituals are carried out. The suit represents history and household sense. For preservation of traditions competition of national clothes where take part is annually carried out{annually spent} and is old also young.
Games Digiyna. People saha remembers historical times when the leader of people saha-Digiyn has put before itself a problem to unit people. He carried out Isiah on which convoked from areas of the most worthy, strong, dexterous, sharp-witted. Digiyn arranged competitions for bogatyrs. The strongest and dexterous received high honours. This tradition was kept at people. Annually on a city holiday “ Isiah Tyjmaadi ” competitions of bogatyrs of " Game Digiyna ” are carried out{spent}, they are one of main actions Isiah. The Yakut bogatyrs from different areas for a honorary title here compete to refer to as the winner of " Games Digiyna ”, whose names yours faithfully are transferred by word of mouth, becoming national heroes. (Tyjmaada-the name of a valley in which Yakutsk and his vicinities is located)
Competition of storytellers. Olonho - the ancient heroic epos of people saha, the greatest monument of oral national creativity, in the bright art form a reflecting way of life, moral principles, customs, a history and the outlook of ancient people - saha expressing a celebration of goods, humanism, harmony of Spirit, the Person, the Nature. Olonho it was transferred by word of mouth, his keepers and carriers were storytellers - Olonhosuty, they were especially esteemed and dear people. Olonhosuty were the most long-awaited and guests of honour of holiday Isiah. On a holiday day and night listened Olonho, competitions Olonhosuty were arranged.
Ceremony of a meeting of the sun. Yakuts counted the first day of a solstice, the moment of sunrise by great miracle. In olden time Yakuts began holiday Isiah with a meeting of the sun, meeting a morning dawn glorified Uranus Ajiy Aar Toyona and made in his honour splashed with a sacred drink koumiss, and as a sacred animal the stallion - Djesegey acted. It Yakuts showed the pleasure, to summer coming after long winter, marked awakening the nature of Ground - mother. It is considered, that through solar beams people are lit by energy and force. Algyschit (the exorcist wishing kindly) prepares for people to ceremony at full silence, he, stretching hands to the sun, addresses Uranus Ajiy Aar Toyona about the message to people of a sound mind, force and vivacity. People were cleared by beams of a rising sun of all sinful, that has collected for a year. Going repeat gestures Algyschit.

Ceremony of drinking of a ritual drink - koumis.
Koumis - a drink from milk of a horse, since ancient times we love Yakuts. Koumis at Yakuts - a sacred, powerful drink and its submission honour heavenly deities on holiday Isiah. The name of holiday Isiah has taken place from a word "to splash", that is to splash koumiss of gods - patrons on people and pets. Algyschit makes fire and addresses to the Top deities, to spirits of fire and the ground with the request to send well-being, duplication of an issue of cattle, abundance and the blessing. With a sacred drink - koumiss treat dear visitors. To them devote a solemn song toyuk, with wishes of goods (algys).

Comments