Moscovskoye shosse 30, Samara, 443028, Russia

Beach ViewBeach View

Travel Tips for Samara

WWII-Memorial

by bugulma

In the new embankment there is so named "flying man". It is a memorial in honour of World War II. On the picture is the view to the monument and the river. To the right you see stone and there are names of heroes of USSR in the war who were born in Samara (at least 160 people). Some steps further to the river and you can see the eternal fire.

Kuibyishev Square

by bugulma

The biggest square of the city is Kuibyishev Square. Kuibyishev is the city name in USSR times (Kuibyshev was revolutioner). First time I saw a monument I thought it is a monument to Lenin because usually the biggest monument in the biggest square in Russian cities is to him. Now only parade on May 9 (Victory Day in WWII in Russia)happens on the square.

KBAC

by Astralka

I tasted it and it was like the apple fermented juice. It is a special drink that makes you run there and back until you find a toilet (therefore I took my pict before my friends drank it). Next time I will not be a coward and I try it on myself and drink the whole cup

Packing List

by kiwigal_1

I brought a back pack with me to Samara as I had arrived via the Trans Siberian Railway and couldn't be bogged down with bags. Most Russians seems to travel with the ubiquitous plastic zipper bags in various sizes. They are made in China and are of VERY BAD quality. When I left Samara I had more stuff than would fit in my backpack so I bought one of these... the zip broke on my Samara-Moscow train trip and I still had the flight left to go!! In the summer it is a nice warm temperature and with the beach on the Volga you should definately bring a swimsuit! Russian women wear as little as possible at this time of year! In winter (and also autumn and spring to a certain extent) it is pretty damn cold! You will need a VERY WARM winter coat, boots, gloves, scarf and hat. The coats available here are cheap enough but I doubt the quality. Everything you need in this department is available. I developed my photographs in Russia but wasn't happy with the quality. Film was available but was quite expensive.

If you find yourself here,...

by heplion

If you find yourself here, take a good walk around the city. It may not seem impressive compared to other places you have been, but if you stop and look at some of the old wooden houses and buildings in the middle of the city, the old pre-Socialism buildings along the Volga and choose to ignore the obvious state of disrepair, you will see a city that has seen days of greatness and will hopefully again one day soon!

Comments